Topic: Rare Earth Magnets in Printing - has anyone tried this?

so, had the thought...
if during the print,  a space was incorporated into the print for a magnet or two, which would then get printed over,    would it be plausible to drop the magnets in mid print so they'd be "permanently" mounted in the plastic?

or would it totally screw up the printer?

Re: Rare Earth Magnets in Printing - has anyone tried this?

Brass is not ferromagnetic, so you should be fine as long as you keep the magnet away from the bolt heatds in the aluminum bed.

It works fine... I've done this on several prints.  The biggest one I tried was 1/4 x 1/8.  Just make sure it is below the level of the extruder nozzle and facing the correct direction before placing it in the gap.  Nothing like finishing a happy 3 hour print with embedded magnets only to realize you were looking at the part upside down and putting the magnet in wrong.  I wouldn't know from experience or anything... smile

I will be trying this, do you put a gcode pause in somehow or just watch it and pause it for a second? 

jooshs, what are your offsets for interior holes for parts fitting.  If you're modelling the 1/4 dia magnet, what size do you make your hole.  I'm currently going like 1/64th over but still having to twist a drill bit through by hand for some of my fits.

I manually pause when using pronterface or put in gcode for RH, depending on which computer I'm using.  So as far as the hole sizes, if I need a perfect fit and can drill, I model it at size with several extra perimeters so there is plenty of solid plastic to bit into.  Obviously, this doesn't work for this kind of print.

The best thing for you to do is to model a plate that you have a bunch of holes and a bunch of extrusions at least a few mm high.  Since, even the best calibrated printers will have some differences, this is the safest route.  It will tell you how big to make what you are trying to get.  I haven't been back at my computer for a while, but when I do, I'll post the .stl I created.  I think it has 25 holes and 25 extrusions at very small increments working their way up to larger increments.  I just go to this every time I need to know how large to model holes and extrusions.  I also made a vertical plate with just holes so I knew how big to make them on walls.  Just to answer your question, I think I made the diameter .4 mm larger for the 1/4 magnet.

I've done something like that already doing tests for my offsets on features that need to fit.  I try to err on the material safe side so I can drill or scrape it out by just hand twisting a drill bit through.  I'd still like to see what you came up with maybe I can refine my process.  Matter of fact anyone that's doing snap together or moving parts it'd be nice to get a concensus on sizes maybe we have a good place to start.

Just curious as you what you guys are printing that would require magnets to be hidden in the models?  I've seen projects where magnets are embedded into the edges of the model, but not completely inside it.  Or am I over thinking what y'all are doing?