Topic: 3d scanner shopping

Hey guys,

I want to get a 3d scanner to go with my Ultimaker (sometimes also Shapeways).
Modeling is admittedly not my strongest suit. I'm kinda slow.
But after a while of browsing I'm getting the feeling 3d scanners are either
affordable but low resolution or very expensive.
It also seems that there is quite a bit of cleanup required, which might not make it
that much of a time saver after all.

Has anyone used, or does anyone own a 3d scanner they are really happy with?
And that they would recommend? Or vice versa, should I steer clear of any product
that sounds to good to be true?

Thanks,
-jack

Re: 3d scanner shopping

You can read what I've written about my matter & form scanner here:

http://tomhorsley.com/hardware/matterfo … rform.html

It is OK for some things, but hasn't been as useful as I'd hoped. They do seem to come out with regular updates to their software which does seem to add features or make it less inclined to screw up. I was disappointed when they never produced linux software for it, and also disappointed they don't publish the protocol it talks (which might allow freelss to be ported).

Hey Claghorn,
thanks for the write-up. Very insightful.
3h plus cleanup... Their website states "Perform high-resolution scans in as little as 5 minutes." and "One click watertight meshes".
Guess that's just PR.
You say you were disappointed, what sort of things did you try to scan with it? And what problems did you run into? Lot's of cleanup? Not enough resolution? Dimensional accuracy?

My main problem is I typically wanted to scan somewhat smaller things than it could resolve well, plus the huge problem it has with reflections. I don't really want to spend hours covering something with painters tape so I can get a good scan (which also takes a heck of a long time - not sure what they think they can scan in 5 minutes :-). If you are an artist scanning in clay models or something, it is probably pretty good at that, but scanning in small parts you want accurate dimensions on so you can print something to go with the part is very finicky.

I have the Atlas 3D scanner, and you can read about my failures and successes in Atlas 3D forum here. 

Most "inexpensive" (< $2000) scanners are either laser scanners or sense scanners (depth sensors). 

Depth sensors like Sense 3D, iSense, Scanify, RealSense or the Microsoft Kinect are designed to capture a large area at one time, have a minimal focal range from about 2-3 ft, and usually produce scans that lack small details.  They rely on capturing the color image as a texture, but the actual model underneath is usually pretty low quality.

If you're looking to scan objects for printing purposes, the meshes these scanners create are pretty rudimentary.

For scanning objects with good detail, a turntable laser scanner is a good solution.  However it has its own drawbacks as well.  First and foremost, laser scanners are affected by light and reflections.  These 2 things are probably responsible for 60% of all scanning errors and noise. 

Secondly scanning irregular objects present challenges of it's own.  While scanning a simple, mostly flat object is not a problem, scanning objects that cave protrusions or concave areas and holes is a problem, because the laser can always "see" inside these areas while the protrusions create blind spots.

Some (high end) scanners work around these problems by either using a articulated turntable that can rotate the object at multiple angles, or the scanner has multiple lasers and cameras.  A good example of such as scanner is the NextEngine.  It uses multiple lasers sources and multiple cameras.  They also offer a special turn table that can automatically tilt the model while rotating it.  Another nice feature of that scanner is that it integrates with SolidWorks toproduce solid models, rather than simple meshes.

But I digress.  The NextEngine is NOT inexpensive, and although at $3K for the base model, it's out of the price range for most hobbyists, it's still one of the best bang for the buck scanners on the market

For me, The Atlas 3D offered the least expensive means to dabble int the scanning hobby, and quite a few hours of entertainment and educational fun.  I "forced" me to learn how to use some programs I had previously only glossed over, like MeshMixer and MeshLab.

Last but not least, you might also want to look at "structured Light" scanners.  I never worked with one, but the theory behind them is that they shine a light pattern (usually stripes) onto a 3D object, then a camera takes multiple still from various angles around the object.  The distorted stripes that wrap around the model are then processed by the software to interpolate the 3d model.

BTW, sense cameras are a form of structured light  scanners, although they use some type of infrared projection to project dots on an object ("a thousand points of light").

Anyway, I hope this helps.

To print or, 3D print, that is the question...
SD3 printer w/too many mods,  Printrbot Simple Maker Ed.,  FormLabs Form 1+
AnyCubic Photon, Shining 3D EinScan-S & Atlas 3D scanners...
...and too much time on my hands.

I will say the matter & form scanner has a pretty good solution for irregular objects: You can scan the object multiple times sitting in different positions and orientations on the turntable, and use their software's "combine scans" feature. It seems to be pretty good at recognizing how to combine them by identifying shapes that are the same in multiple scans.

Of course, that means it takes even longer, and if you want a color scan, that doesn't work too well since the different positions tend to have different shade and the colors don't combine all that well.

does the Matter & Form scanner have an option to scan the surface into a cloud/mesh and ignore the color/texture information?

If so, when combining the various scans, it looks at mesh/point cloud references to do this, or does it use image information?

Yep. M&F's "native" format is their own proprietary format that stores all info, but you can save it in a lot of other different formats, some of which discard color. Other than cleaning up the scans and combining multiple scans of the same object, there isn't a lot of editing you can do in the M&F software. I use things like meshmixer to convert the hollow STL files M&F produces into solid ones so I can slice them in openscad.

How does it do with irregular objects that have areas of occlusion (like an action figure for example).

Hidden bits are why you need to scan multiple times changing the orientation so the lasers and the camera have a chance to see all of the figure (which is why it tends to take hours and hours because each scan takes a long time). An action figure likely has another problem: Unless you can lock all the bits so they don't move relative to each other when you re-position it, the software probably won't be able to combine the scans since the object won't be the same shape in each scan. Plus action figures tend to be shiny plastic, which causes reflections, which makes lots of noise in the scan.

11 (edited by scobo 2015-10-11 06:01:19)

I just bought a BQ Ciclop but haven't yet been able to produce anything worth printing.
It actually produces a pretty decent looking point cloud once the object has been scanned and only takes about 5 minutes or so at high resolution.
But I haven't yet found a method of converting the point cloud which produces a decent mesh without losing a lot of the detail.

Davinci 1.0 with repetier firmware & E3D V6 Lite
Anycubic Photon DLP printer, Einscan-S 3D scanner
Simplify3d, 123D Design, Meshmixer
http://www.thingiverse.com/scobo/designs

scobo wrote:

I just bought a BQ Ciclop but haven't yet been able to produce anything worth printing.
It actually produces a pretty decent looking point cloud once the object has been scanned and only takes about 5 minutes or so at high resolution.
But I haven't yet found a method of converting the point cloud which produces a decent mesh without losing a lot of the detail.

Check out the Sticky in the Atlas 3D section entitled "From Scan to Printable Mesh Tutorial"

13 (edited by scobo 2015-10-26 20:30:25)

That's pretty much the method I'm using but I just can't seem to get a mesh as smooth looking as yours.
If I set an Octree higher than 7 in Meshlab it just hangs.

What exactly do you mean by "pretty much the method".

Did you do ALL the steps involved?  From the looks of your result, I would say you didn't run the Compute Normals Filter.  You point cloud doesn't look coherent.

15 (edited by scobo 2015-10-26 20:31:51)

Yeah, been running compute normals with various values in the Neighbour Num box.
Is there any chance you could upload the PLY file for the Hello Kitty scan you did ?

I'll upload it later this evening.  I'll have to figure out how, though, ti's a lot bigger than the 5MB limit here.

I'll figure something out.

Thanks, appreciated.
I can PM you my email address if it would be easier to send it.

Have you seen this??

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/orbb … 11687453#/

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

We recently posted a roundup of the 11 best value 3D scanners on the market. You might find it useful as a quick rundown of what's out there for under $3000 USD

https://blog.pinshape.com/the-11-best-v … he-market/

20 (edited by scobo 2015-11-18 08:14:02)

I've been trying out the David lasescanner trial version and getting excellent results.
I bought a cheap webcam and 2nd hand DLP projector, both for under £100.
So if I buy David 4 at £300 that's under £400 for the lot.
SLS scanning is also way faster than scanning with a laser. The setup I have takes less than 60 seconds to do a full 360° scan.