Topic: How to get a good scan

Trying to figure out how you get the scans you do.  Attached is a scan of a bell and a picture of the bell.  What is going on?  Any help appreciated.  I've calibrated according to the instructions as best as I can figure out,  thanks!http://soliforum.com/i/?F711ke2.jpg
http://soliforum.com/i/?EcZAWXO.jpg

Re: How to get a good scan

Hi denhumphrey,

It's likely that the bell is too reflective for laser scanning.  Have you tried scanning an non-shiny non-metal object?  Can you post a picture of the Test image from the Camera page?

Uriah

If possible, pick up some white chalk spray from Dick Blick, http://www.dickblick.com/products/montana-chalkspray/ or similar. Walmart had white in the past, and may have it in the future. Light colors such as yellow might also work. It's not permanent, especially on a non-porus surface such as metal. It's matte finish, good for preventing reflective flaws as well. A light dusting of that stuff will enable the depth details to override any reflective problems created by the metal.

FSL3D Pegasus Touch (not yet used, out for updating/upgrading)
Kudos3D (still in box/kit form, for sale)

Or look around the house and find some baby powder.  If you can't find that, look for some flour, and use a large makeup brush to daub it on.

To print or, 3D print, that is the question...
SD3 printer w/too many mods,  Printrbot Simple Maker Ed.,  FormLabs Form 1+
AnyCubic Photon, Shining 3D EinScan-S & Atlas 3D scanners...
...and too much time on my hands.

I guess you couldn't see the pictures.  I scanned a wooden block, flat orange, got a cone shaped thing, nothing like the object.  There must be something big I am missing in what I am doing. scan and pictre of block attached, and picture of camera test.

Post's attachments

5 (4).png
5 (4).png 128.59 kb, 2 downloads since 2015-09-22 

Slide1.JPG
Slide1.JPG 43.04 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

Slide2.JPG
Slide2.JPG 70.55 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

I have a few questions:

1.   That black drawer in that position near the scanner during your scans?  If so, I think the weird black halo circle above the orange object is reflected noise from that chrome handle.

2.  When you ran the auto calibration what did you use to calibrate against, the original calibration object, the checkerboard, ?

3.  That test shot is inconclusive.  Go to Camera mode, turn both lasers on, and take a screen capture.  I want to see what the camera actually sees, so don't crop the image. 

There's a few things that I can see that aren't right:

The little green and yellow crosshairs tell me that your laser beams don't converge correctly, and they are also not perfectly vertical.  Another thing that I'm sure is doing a number on your scans is reflections.  When I scan with mine, I put a black non reflective piece of cloth  behind the turntable, so when the laser hits it, it doesn't reflect back.

Anyway, try moving that drawer away (or put the scanner somewhere else).  And if you haven't done this yet, follow my tips on calibration.

I moved it some so that the background is a black matte footstool.  Attached is a picture with both lasers on. I just don't get why i seem to get an hourglass shaped scan each time.  Also attaching test picture, crosshairs seem to be closer than before.  Finall is the last scan I did, both lasers at 1.9 resolution.  Any help appreciated

Post's attachments

scan test2.jpg
scan test2.jpg 39.89 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

scan test2.jpg
scan test2.jpg 39.89 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

scan test3.jpg
scan test3.jpg 33.77 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

denhumphrey, The image "5 (4).png" shows that you the laser auto-calibration data is way off.  You may have clicked the "Laser Calibration" button when the calibration item wasn't in the right place or when the lasers were not oriented yet.  Either way, you should be fine if you click "Laser Calibration" again with the calibration item placed the way it is in "scan test2.jpg".

See this post for additional help: http://www.soliforum.com/post/98712/#p98712

what do you get if you scan with only one  laser?

Sure that the laser are not interchanged?