Topic: Laser calibration issue?

My scans have been coming out distorted and I've noticed that, during the scans, the images from the 2 lasers seem to be at a different depth (see attached image). I thought I tweaked up the dimensions and I run the laser calibration before each scan. Any idea what might be causing this?
http://soliforum.com/i/?77tXSoZ.jpg

Re: Laser calibration issue?

I think I found my problem: user error! sad

I was not placing the calibration object exactly at the center when running the laser calibration. Now, I'm turning on the lasers before calibrating to make sure I have it centered correctly.

Argh. More user error. Depth is OK but left and right alignment is off. However, I just discovered calibration instructions buried in the notes for one of the releases. I'll try to follow that procedure and see if it helps.

Uriah, it would be great if this, and any other necessary procedures could be added to a more visible place like the getting started instructions. Thanks.

--Dave

4 (edited by Vinoh 2015-09-14 03:20:38)

OK, getting better scans now by trying to calibrate properly. I say "trying" because the alignment is dependent on the orientation of the turntable due to pretty bad wobble. I just noticed that there is a new turntable coupler which may help. However, one of the problems is that the screws in the coupler are opposite each other and therefore it tilts with just a little force no matter how tight I make them. Putting the screws at right angles to each other would correct this, although it may tend to push the hole turntable slightly off center. Using 4 screws would probably work. I'm not sure if I could make this change though with just the stl as a starting point.

What do you think, Uriah and pirvan? Do you even have this problem?

Edit: I thought of an easy way to modify the coupler to include 4 set screws. Rotate a duplicate and compute the intersection of the 2 parts. Works great in Netfabb but unfortunately I have not spent the $300 it would take to save the result. I figured out how to do the same in MeshMixer and Blender but the result doesn't make sense. It's just a collection of random pieces. I suspect I have to process the stl in some way before trying the boolean intersection but I have not been able to figure it out and hours of attempts. Do you happen to know how to do this, pirvan? Thanks.

If you are getting tilt from the two screws pinching, have you tried with just one screw?

hairu526 wrote:

If you are getting tilt from the two screws pinching, have you tried with just one screw?

Ah, good idea since it would push the coupler against the wall, stabilizing it and preventing it from spinning on the screw tips. It may push it off-center a bit, but probably not enough to matter. I was going to print the new version of the coupler but I'll try this first. Thanks, Uriah!

7 (edited by pirvan 2015-09-14 16:16:13)

Vinoh wrote:

OK, getting better scans now by trying to calibrate properly. I say "trying" because the alignment is dependent on the orientation of the turntable due to pretty bad wobble. I just noticed that there is a new turntable coupler which may help. However, one of the problems is that the screws in the coupler are opposite each other and therefore it tilts with just a little force no matter how tight I make them. Putting the screws at right angles to each other would correct this, although it may tend to push the hole turntable slightly off center. Using 4 screws would probably work. I'm not sure if I could make this change though with just the stl as a starting point.

What do you think, Uriah and pirvan? Do you even have this problem?

Here is a link to an older post, when I was having the same problem as you.

http://www.soliforum.com/topic/11384/turntable-wobble/

At the time, I made a slightly modified coupler that is longer, has a tighter shaft hole and uses 3 screws to hold it in place.  I can tell you there's no wobble in that piece.

I know Uriah modified his original coupler to make it a bit tighter, but I haven't seen his design.

To print or, 3D print, that is the question...
SD3 printer w/too many mods,  Printrbot Simple Maker Ed.,  FormLabs Form 1+
AnyCubic Photon, Shining 3D EinScan-S & Atlas 3D scanners...
...and too much time on my hands.

pirvan wrote:

Here is a link to an older post, when I was having the same problem as you..

Thanks, pirvan! I searched for something like this but must have missed it.

--Dave

Your new coupler worked great, pirvan! Much more stable. My table is still a little out of level so the calibration is dependent on the rotation of the table but it does not seem to affect the scan too much. Depending on what is causing the condition, maybe I can shim the space between the coupler and the table or, more likely, the motor mounting. Anyway, thanks for your help!

--Dave