1 (edited by mobius1ace5 2015-09-12 05:46:42)

Topic: Extrusion problems.. [x-post /r/3dprinting same username]

I have had my Press now for almost half a year it seems. Been printing with Inventables plastic like a freaking champ, but recently I switched to this different filament that was absolute shit.. It had terrible consistencies and if it wasn't that I liked the hot pink color so much I would have never bothered with it ha ha. I went back to the Inventables and it continues to strip. I pulled off the gear on the stepper, cleaned it, did many cold pulls that came out clean, and yet it continues to clog, almost the exact same amount of printing steps before the issue shows up.

I tried using a brand new roll of Inventables (same color, lime green, I have like 8 spools of the stuff) and got the exact same issue. It is like there is something clogging the hot end, but even a cold pull wont get it out.
Sometimes I can extrude say 45 seconds of plastic in a row without issues, sometimes it wont even start. If it starts to extrude, it only gets so far before stopping.

Any ideas? Temps are at 255 which is fairly standard for the Press from what I have found and have been getting FANTASTIC results up until now. Bed at 86-90c When it does extrude it is perfect(ish) so this issue is very puzzling to me.
My only guess is that I had a couple of collisions with the glass bed because the auto level probe failed to deploy. Went to size the hole and it seemed round and accurate, so I do not think I damaged the nozzle from that (and the z axis stepper has no torque anyways)

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Link to reddit thread:  https://www.reddit.com/r/3Dprinting/com … dle_press/

2 (edited by jagowilson 2015-09-08 19:08:34)

Re: Extrusion problems.. [x-post /r/3dprinting same username]

255? when I print at 255 with an e3d v6, the plastic is so amorphous that it's almost like a liquid; I can only use temps like this at really high speeds. I would back down to 235-245 for ABS, and try a different brand. I prefer Octave.

obviously i recommend upgrading to the e3d, because even if it clogs (it won't with ABS) it's a no brainier to fix (280c for five minutes toasts all clogs).

jagowilson wrote:

255? when I print at 255 with an e3d v6, the plastic is so amorphous that it's almost like a liquid; I can only use temps like this at really high speeds. I would back down to 235-245 for ABS, and try a different brand. I prefer Octave.

obviously i recommend upgrading to the e3d, because even if it clogs (it won't with ABS) it's a no brainier to fix (280c for five minutes toasts all clogs).

See, I am not printing with an e3d v6 though.  I am using the stock hotend on the Press.  Its temps are way off and through experimentation I came on the 255 as being good.

I have been considering the upgrade to the e3d but right now I have some bigger printers that need my attention first (a projet 660 and a zcorp 650)

4 (edited by jagowilson 2015-09-08 19:15:59)

if your temperatures are that inaccurate then something is very wrong. it may not even be a clog -- how do we know it's reaching a reasonable temperature? when left to sit for a while, do the temperature readings reflect the ambient temperature of wherever your printer is?

it shouldn't matter if you use an e3d or not. if the thermistor goes inside the heater block e3d temperatures should be comparable. if it's on the outside held with Kapton tape that's a different story.

5 (edited by mobius1ace5 2015-09-08 20:22:01)

I have printed over 1.5kg of this same filament, on the same roll, without out any issues a the 255 temp.

Ambient temps show around 30c on both the hot end and the bed, so at some point the ambient will be accurate, but because the Press is not calibrated for accurate temps.

It goes inside the heater block but to my knowledge, Soliprint is not calibrated to know the temp difference between the thermister and the hotend.  255 is a great temp for about any ABS I threw at that printer.  240 being the cutoff.  It has been like this since I got it.

EDIT:  damn.. 30c is hot.. I keep my house at 78. I know the bed will get down to like 26c at the lowest which is decently accurate

6 (edited by jagowilson 2015-09-08 20:37:52)

First, let me just clarify something: are you able to push the plastic through the hotend by hand, or does the filament buckle when you try to keep pushing it? If all is well you should be able to push plastic through and see it come out of the nozzle. I ask because other possibilities are your extruder stepper motor is malfunctioning (apparently the wire connection can be problematic for some Press users)/not getting enough voltage. Obviously, do this with the extruder apart so there's no tension on the filament; you can leave the motor gear on if you have room. If you CAN push it through, ignore the next paragraph.

I'm also wondering if your thermistor is poorly seated. Does moving the thermistor wires back and forth change the temperature at all? You might try re-seating it in the heater block altogether just to make sure it's in there securely. Then try again and see if anything changes.

The press has a really odd bend at the extruder motor so any time I try and push filament through it doesnt work.

The wire connection has been an issue for me, it has broken a few times and every time I solder it back on.

When it does jam I can slowly push it through, but not as fast as I would think.

I am not in front of the printer, but I will check on the thermistor when I can.

Do you think maybe it has changed where it is located and therefore reading the temp earlier and not letting the hotend get up to temp properly?

8 (edited by jagowilson 2015-09-09 17:49:48)

It's possible the thermistor is part of the problem, however, if you can push filament through by hand and see plastic come out the other end, the hotend is not clogged. Partially clogged, maybe, but the motor should be able to drive through it.

Try this. Take the extruder apart, heat the hotend and request 100mm of filament extruded. Grab the gear with your hands and try to stop it from rotating. Does it slip or stall the motor? If it does, you need to increase VREF; have a search, I don't know exactly where the trimpots are on the Press but it's been discussed many times. If you can't stall/slip the gear, but you are able to push plastic through by hand, you may have a tensioning problem with your extruder (it's not pressing the filament against the gear hard enough so it's slipping).

Thermister is totally fine.  Finally got some time to work on it ha ha!

will try the extruder thing next.

nope, cant stall the extruder.  Set the trim post a while back

Pulled apart the hotend, soaking the cold end connector tube thing and the nozzle in acetone.

Hot end clean now and damn.. Lots o gunk, black, burnt gunk.

Turned temps down to 240 and shes printing fine so far! I guess all girls get a bit dirty every now and again wink