Topic: Can someone tell me if this will print?

I don't have my printer yet and I have been experimenting with converting game models into a printable format.

I started with downloading .OBJ files from this website: http://www.models-resource.com/nintendo_64

then I used a program called MeshLab to convert it to STL I have uploaded the result. I sliced it and ran it thru openSCAM but I couldn't see the final product because it shows the path of the tool and not what is extruded. I can't load this STL into sketchup for some reason to see if it came out ok but it loads back into MeshLab well. I think the model may have hollows or somehting in it screwing it up because I got some wierd messages while slicing. Thank you for any help.

Post's attachments

Queen Gohma.obj 100.24 kb, 15 downloads since 2013-02-03 

Queen Gohma.stl 30.55 kb, 51 downloads since 2013-02-03 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.
I edit my posts a lot.

2 (edited by ronsii 2013-02-03 18:32:35)

Re: Can someone tell me if this will print?

I think that could be the new 'Challenge' print

Without support of course wink

It'a simplistic mesh.  One of the problems that you have is that the "cowling" and "epaulets" are single facet meshes.  There is no depth, therefore it is not manifold.  The body and the appendages are good enough to make it, but they'd be a bear to do as one piece unless you used a LOT of support, but it would look nice.

Add Thickness to the other pieces, attach them to the body and we'd have a winner.

The problem that exists with taking computer game sprites is that they are simple polygons with textured facets.  It's not conducive to 3d printing on its own.  It does make a nice starting point but you'd have to model most of the other features.

Good find, frozensoda, I may have to take a stab at fixing it up to print!

Frozensoda,
Try this one... It will slice, but I'm not sure how it will print.  Slicing with support gave me some strange looking output, but it may work.  It may be better to break it up into multiple pieces.

Post's attachments

Queen Gohma.stl 66.88 kb, 28 downloads since 2013-02-04 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.