Topic: Export viewable color scans?

Does anyone know of a way, preferably on a Mac, to export color .ply files so they are easily viewed by other people in a browser or other commonly available application? I've tried every format and program I can think of with no success.

(...and sorry for all the noob questions of late. Just having lots of fun getting to know this great scanner!)

--Dave

Re: Export viewable color scans?

I can't say this is a suitable answer, as I don't have enough experience with Blender in the aspect you seek, but Blender supports .ply files and the quick google search I performed would indicate that you can add qualifiers to the export process. Blender is available for Mac within the system restrictions provided on their web page. Blender has a bit of a learning curve, but it's an amazingly powerful application for something that costs zero. Most questions about blender can be found via YouTube or the forums. The interface is less than intuitive, but easily learned.

FSL3D Pegasus Touch (not yet used, out for updating/upgrading)
Kudos3D (still in box/kit form, for sale)

fred_dot_u wrote:

I can't say this is a suitable answer, as I don't have enough experience with Blender in the aspect you seek, but Blender supports .ply files and the quick google search I performed would indicate that you can add qualifiers to the export process. Blender is available for Mac within the system restrictions provided on their web page. Blender has a bit of a learning curve, but it's an amazingly powerful application for something that costs zero. Most questions about blender can be found via YouTube or the forums. The interface is less than intuitive, but easily learned.

Yes, Blender has many export formats and, IMHO, more than a bit of a learning curve.  My question though is what export format can I use so the file can be viewed with its color image overlay by people in a browser or other common viewer (eg QuickTime vr). thanks.

What I've found when it comes to viewing 3d models is that the model has to be uploaded to a host site. At that point, as long as the file is accepted, the viewer (user) selects the model or you provide a link and the browser and host make allowances/conversion for appropriate viewing. None of the accepted standard viewing programs (Quicktime, VLC, WMP, etc) have 3d support as yet.

From my recent research, it appears that Sketchfab is popular and it supports textures/color. It would be up to you to see if your upload appears as desired, but I think a high success rate is expected.

FSL3D Pegasus Touch (not yet used, out for updating/upgrading)
Kudos3D (still in box/kit form, for sale)

5 (edited by Vinoh 2015-09-08 01:19:26)

fred_dot_u wrote:

From my recent research, it appears that Sketchfab is popular and it supports textures/color. It would be up to you to see if your upload appears as desired, but I think a high success rate is expected.

Sketchfab works great! Just what I was looking for. Thanks!

--Dave