Topic: Fixing Holes In Model. Help??

I have been building a model from scratch using Sketchup. However when I export a DAE and convert to STL and send it off to NetFabb Repair service it almost completely fills in over all the details. If I can't find the leak would someone else be willing to look at my files to see where it went wrong?

Post's attachments

14Badge(AddedDepthToBacking).skp 1.25 mb, 5 downloads since 2015-09-07 

14Badge.stl 425.38 kb, 14 downloads since 2015-09-07 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Re: Fixing Holes In Model. Help??

Rocketman wrote:

I have been building a model from scratch using Sketchup. However when I export a DAE and convert to STL and send it off to NetFabb Repair service it almost completely fills in over all the details. If I can't find the leak would someone else be willing to look at my files to see where it went wrong?

If you see blue, you need to reverse the face. Also, if you have a raised surface, you need to make sure there isn't another surface below it. The bottom shared a surface with the circle around the star. IDK... , lots of other little things.

I attached your fixed file. Merry Christmas.

Post's attachments

14Badge(AddedDepthToBacking)_fixed.skp 1.12 mb, 2 downloads since 2015-09-08 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.
SD3 w/ mods:
Glass bed with QU-BD heat pad upgrade, threadless ballscrew w/ 8mm smooth rod, spectra line belt replacement, lawsy MK5 extruder, Lawsy replacement carriage, E3D hotend, Ramps 1.4 w/ reprap discount controller, DRV8825 drivers, 12v 30A PS, Acrylic case, Overkill Y-idlers, Filament alarm, Extruder fan + more.

2n2r5 wrote:
Rocketman wrote:

If you see blue, you need to reverse the face. Also, if you have a raised surface, you need to make sure there isn't another surface below it. The bottom shared a surface with the circle around the star. IDK... , lots of other little things.

I attached your fixed file. Merry Christmas.

How do I reverse a face? And if I place one object partly inside of another and want to merge them how do I tell it to create outline lines at the points of entry and exit so I can delete the inner geometry without deleting entire object?

4 (edited by 2n2r5 2015-09-10 12:29:12)

To reverse a face you right click on the face and there should be an option "reverse face".

To merge 2 objects together, they need to start as solid objects. Using a plugin like solid inspector is a good start. If you have 2 solid objects, you can use the solid tools that are built in to sketchup.

The way that I found your your inner faces was to delete the flat planes one at a time to look for additional faces below it. To restore a flat plane, you only need to redraw one segment of its perimeter.

I really suggests getting the solid inspector plugin from the extensions warehouse.

Also look at CADspan

SD3 w/ mods:
Glass bed with QU-BD heat pad upgrade, threadless ballscrew w/ 8mm smooth rod, spectra line belt replacement, lawsy MK5 extruder, Lawsy replacement carriage, E3D hotend, Ramps 1.4 w/ reprap discount controller, DRV8825 drivers, 12v 30A PS, Acrylic case, Overkill Y-idlers, Filament alarm, Extruder fan + more.

Thank you for the help.