Topic: Unsure what's going on with new polymer

So I ordered a new PC polymer this week and I've been playing with it past few days trying to get it to work.

Here's the datasheet on it: https://www.sabic-ip.com/gepapp/eng/wea … ype=Online

I just now saw where it says 10% glass reinforced... could that be why I'm having problems? It might not even work in a print even if I do get it to extrude right for all i know... does anyone know more about this?

Anyway, the problem is that I can't get it to extrude at an even diameter. It's all over the place, no matter what the temperature is. I get the best results around 285C but it's still not good... ~2.50 +/- 0.20mm (Yes, 0.20).

-Prusa i3 MK2s
-Airwolf HD2x w/ E3D v6 + Volcano
-Custom built Solidoodle 3 clone w/ E3D v6+ Volcano    -Solidoodle Press w/ E3D Lite6
Filastruder #1577

Re: Unsure what's going on with new polymer

Did you dry it before extrusion? How?

I dried them in a food dehydrator. I forgot about them, so they actually stayed in there for about 24 hours.

-Prusa i3 MK2s
-Custom built Solidoodle 3 clone w/ E3D v6+ Volcano    -Solidoodle Press w/ E3D Lite6
Filastruder #1577

Any other suggestions on this? I'm still not able to get anything close to usable.

-Prusa i3 MK2s
Filastruder #1577

The only think I can thin of is if the barrel needs to be cleaned.

Or the feed is not fast enough, that the hot plastic actually runs out faster than cold plastic can be fed in.

Perhaps try the 1.75mm nozzle to confirm this idea, and if that is the case, drive the filastruder with a variable speed drill motor......

Thanks rich, I will try that Monday.

-Prusa i3 MK2s
Filastruder #1577

That seems unlikely, the polymer would have to have a viscosity like water to run out faster than it was being fed. The viscosity can be reduced by lowering the temperature.

I'm betting its a glass reinforced issue. You're sure that the old polymer is fully purged out? Did you remove the nozzle and drag the old polymer out?

I haven't removed the nozzle to drag the old polymer out. Should I try that?

-Prusa i3 MK2s
Filastruder #1577

Yes.

Okay, I will. I didn't think it would be that important since the previous extrusion was also PC (Encom). Thanks, I will post back what happens

-Prusa i3 MK2s
Filastruder #1577

11 (edited by josh.aeauto 2015-09-07 14:02:28)

Okay, so I tried heating it up and pulling the plastic out. The funny thing is, when I took the nozzle off, there was not much plastic inside. I pulled out what little was in there.

When I started it back up, I got the same thing. See the picture below... It's really rough, with a diameter of 2.72mm +/- 0.20mm

After about 5 minutes of extrusion, it slowed way down and I got these blobs

Sorry for the bad picture quality. Maybe it's the lighting, but my phone didn't want to cooperate this morning.

http://soliforum.com/i/?BGc3RP9.jpg

http://soliforum.com/i/?HEklgM6.jpg

-Prusa i3 MK2s
Filastruder #1577

It looks like it is on the edge of becoming ramen, which tells me that t cannot be fed fast enough, and you said that there was barely any plastic in the end when you cleaned it.

Which leads me to my original post of trying a small orifice, as I suspect a feed rate issue.

With the plastic having fiberglass fibers, you might have a problem with controlling the viscosity by temperature.

What does the tip look like? is it completely insulated? or, is this the tip that was modified?

That's my 2cents.

I find what you are doing with plastics is really fascinating, Check out Simplify3D slicer, my AirWolf3dXL is a brand new machine, best parts I ever seen.  (if you haven't already)

good luck !

I tried driving the auger with my cordless drill, and I'm actually not seeing much of a difference so far. My drill died on me a minute or so in, so I haven't done much with it.

It still has a rough texture, but although it is rough it at least has a more consistent diameter. Looking at closer to something like 0.10 now, which is better than before.

I'm still using the modified nozzle with a steal tip (2.8mm diameter, if I remember correctly)

As for Simplify 3D, I have tried it before and I find it to be aggravating since I use so many different plastics (Store-bought PC, Filastruder PC, Filastruder PC-ABS, Nylon, Nylon Bridge, ABS, HIPS, etc etc). Plus I'm using it on two different printers with two different build sizes. I didn't find the settings to be as easily changed as Repetier, which I can select from a drop down menu with Slic3r. I'm also using a raspberry pi for Repetier-Server so I can have the printers untethered from my workstation.

-Prusa i3 MK2s
Filastruder #1577

14 (edited by josh.aeauto 2015-09-09 22:12:36)

What I did was just ordered some Lexan 141-R which is NOT glass reinforced.
https://www.sabic-ip.com/gepapp/eng/wea … ype=Online

If anyone wants to try some of this to see if it works for you, send me a PM and I'll send you some, no charge as long as you let me know what you find. I have 20lbs of this stuff that I can't use until I figure out what's going on. Shoot, I don't even know if it can be used for printing without clogging my nozzle.

-Prusa i3 MK2s
Filastruder #1577

Hmmm, well, you only drove the auger for one minute and you seen an improvement........

Since you are trying so many different plastics, I would make a Filastruder set up that is driven by a 1/2 in drill with a variable speed controller on the line side......Or perhaps a modified cheap drill press.

It might be worth thinking about since you are experimenting in so many different plastics, and you would be able to tweak RPM as well as temperature, as you already have a 15v supply on the heater.

I can  see why you prefer Slic3r, as it is easier to change filaments, but for me, since I tinker with model airplanes, and need thin light weight parts, Simplify is giving me incredible parts that Slic3r cant do.

keep your progress posted, I like to check see what you have going on from time to time.............

Best of Luck !

I might look into that in the future. For now, i don't have the time to fool with it without knowing for sure I'll get something usable, which is why I just bought the other stuff. I'm on my last roll of PC, so i have to get something going soon or I'll have to resort to Airwolf's $100/kg PC! roll

-Prusa i3 MK2s
Filastruder #1577