Topic: Bed heating accelerator - with proof

Found this while picking up some things at Walmart in the pots and pans section on one of those clip on racks hanging from a shelf.  I think it was only a couple dollars $2.99 maybe?  It's a silicone pot holder and trivet.  It's sold under the brand name gourmet club, and is distributed by Best Brands.  It says it's up to 450F heat resistant (=232C) so it should never be an issue of burning or melting to the bed.   

My test was to start a timer at exactly 50C and stop at 95C
Control test was just glass and alum bed.  22m 31s
W/ pot holder on glass time was improved to  14m 32s

8 minute improvement seems worth it to me, saves me from starting my prints too early when I get impatient.

Walmart (in store only)
Biglots (in store only) $4

http://s7.postimage.org/gwnpidgy3/20130201_205812_1.jpg
http://s9.postimage.org/v9orucg5b/20130201_210034_1.jpg

Re: Bed heating accelerator - with proof

With everyone complaining about bed heating times, I'm shocked that nobody has commented on this.  Are you heating faster than this already with a different method that I'm not aware of?

I started a similar thread using a block of foam, and a number of people responded with different ideas.

http://www.soliforum.com/topic/1161/cra … insulator/

I also tried with a normal $3 square oven mitt, but it wasn't nearly as effective as the foam.  The silicone idea sounds intriguing, but I'd also like to find a way to make sure it safely removes itself from the bed before printing starts.  I'm working on a couple of ideas on how this might be done.

cmetzel wrote:

With everyone complaining about bed heating times, I'm shocked that nobody has commented on this.  Are you heating faster than this already with a different method that I'm not aware of?

I like this a lot sir, I will have to try it!

5 (edited by Wavesurf 2013-02-03 21:49:08)

I use a hot air gun to get up to 90c in under 3 minutes.  But that's three minutes holding a hot air gun.

Harbor Freight had one for 8 bucks.  I got my "paint stripper" from Lowes for 25.

Wavesurf wrote:

I use a hot air gun to get up to 90c in under 3 minutes.

That's fast.. about the same time it takes the extruder to come up to temp!
Are you using a glass bed?  If so, and you have no cracking, that's impressive and I might consider it.
How far away do you hold it?

I tend to use my hot air SMT rework station for everything including heatshrink, so I could repurpose the hot air gun for this XD

7 (edited by Wavesurf 2013-02-03 22:03:23)

I use glass and hold the nozzle just outside the frame and wave it side to side.  I haven't cracked glass and its the cheap stuff from lowes.  My heat gun is rated 400/600 degrees Fahrenheit. I use the higher setting.  It warms up the entire chamber too.

I only do this when I have multiple prints to run.  Otherwise I'll just let it warm itself up.

bahstrike wrote:
Wavesurf wrote:

Are you using a glass bed?  If so, and you have no cracking, that's impressive and I might consider it.

I tend to use my hot air SMT rework station for everything including heatshrink, so I could repurpose the hot air gun for this XD

It's unlikely to be as powerful. A heatgun is typically 1000 W at least, and your hotair station is almost certainly not above 200 watts. 

That said, you would want some sort of diffuser, and it could help. You can make a cone of alu foil in front of the hot air gun maybe, and a fan on the exit. I'm not sure smile

Tomek wrote:
bahstrike wrote:
Wavesurf wrote:

It's unlikely to be as powerful. A heatgun is typically 1000 W at least, and your hotair station is almost certainly not above 200 watts. 

That said, you would want some sort of diffuser, and it could help. You can make a cone of alu foil in front of the hot air gun maybe, and a fan on the exit. I'm not sure smile

The SMT rework station is 500w  but I wasn't going to use that baby for heating the bed  big_smile

The heat gun is 1100w but I only ever bought it for heatshrink-  which the SMT rework does fine with.
So the heatgun just sits in the closet, waiting for a purpose  smile

QU-BD silicone bed performance is exceptional with about 3 minute heating time. Not a straightforward mod however.

My solution before this was to leave the heater on all day for the bed on days when I was using it.

I just stick a towel on top - one for drying the dishes smile - i havent recorded time differences; but once the bed has reached 70 degrees or so, it may move up 0.1 deg. every 3-6 seconds, now with the towel it jumps, 0.2-0.3 every 3 seconds... marked improvement!

If any of you remember I'd love to see times from 50C to 95C so we can see if there's a big difference between methods.  I know some of the redesigned beds are much faster but I'm not likely to ever go that route.  Also I don't like the thought of the heat gun blasting in there.  Wire fatigue, wood distortion even bed distortion I would be concerned about long term. 

If anyone has the bags from cornhole or whatever you call it locally try microwaving them and setting them on top of the bed.  I don't have the game or I'd try it.  I always thought that would be a great solution but haven't tested it.

13 (edited by nickythegreek 2013-02-04 16:55:53)

Lets get a list of all these different ones together and we can check times.

Glass on Stock Bed - 22.5m warmup from 50C to 95C

• Silicone Mat - 8min improvement

• Welding Blanking

• Foam Block

• Cardboard

• Heat Gun - 18min improvement

• Microwavable heat pad

• Towel

14 (edited by Wavesurf 2013-02-04 18:45:59)

3 minutes 29 seconds for 1200 watt heatgun, nozzle just outside enclosed cage through the doorway and waving left to right moderately.  I didn't turn on the gun until the temp reached 50.  See the attached Heat Gun.jpg

I'm usually just reheating the bed so it takes much less time.  A full heat up from 20c is not much more time.

I also have a 8x8 silicone mat from QU-BD on my CNC.  It takes 10 minutes to get up to temp from 20c and that is without the heat gun.  I'm sure the 6x6 would heat up faster so that might be a good alternative since you don't have to hold a 600 degree Farenheight gun and worry about where you put it down.  I've already melted the wires of the gun by putting it down wrong.

Interested to see the unscientific results of this compilation.

Also, how do I run PID Autotune on the heat bed, you can see it wobble in the graph.  Do I just swap connections and run the M303?  I think it is the same Thermistor settings in Firmware.

TheBogueRat

p.s. Don't laugh at my enclosure, it works great!

Post's attachments

Heat Gun.jpg
Heat Gun.jpg 127.22 kb, 2 downloads since 2013-02-04 

Heat_Gun_Positioning.jpg
Heat_Gun_Positioning.jpg 534.03 kb, 2 downloads since 2013-02-04 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Is there no danger to blasting 600F at the wires in the enclosed case, even if it's just premature fatigue I wouldn't do that myself.  I haven't the slightest official idea if that's even a concern but it just doesn't sit right with me.

Using a block of styrofoam, it took me 9 minutes to go from 27C to 95C. 

I don't really recommend ordinary styrofoam at this point due to its combustibility, but I need something rigid and non-sticky to work with the automatic retraction mechanism I'm currently building. 

Dow makes an orange fireblock version of it foam-in-a-can product, so I'm thinking I might spray some between two soapy sheets of glass to mold my own fire resistant bed cover.  Might work.

When I had my S1, with no heated bed, I tried several things to get the ambient up, including putting an IR heat lamp over the top of the printer.  I ended up softening the acrylic of the extruder enough that it bent from the pressure of the idler spring.  If you are using a strong heat gun, definitely avoid pointing it at the extruder and keep something like a meat thermometer tucked in there somewhere to watch the ambient temperature. 

One thing I've done is run a thermocouple along the wire bundle with the end of it near the extruder.   That way I could keep an eye on the ambient while blowing the space heater into the case, and make sure it doesn't get hot enough to endanger the extruder.   You might start to get into trouble with it at around 70-80c.

using a towel / face cloth, 50 deg - 95 deg - 8 minutes 17 seconds

random thought.. and i haven't tried it..

how about using an external heating device to preheat the glass ready to just swap out on the already heated bed..?  i have a $15 toaster oven in my workshop that i use to dry out plaster models, if i have it turned on to low with the glass sheets sitting inside, then all i need to do is take one out, spray hairspray, clip on and print..

i have just scored an order for about 200 prints of a simple token design, have already got the glass bed thing down, with multiple sheets of glass and quick clips from a picture frame.. am thinking i will give this a go to try and save myself some wait time..

(though i have to say the wait time gives me a good reason to catch up on a lot of other little jobs in the 'shop)

20 (edited by nickythegreek 2013-02-07 14:44:12)

The best way to accelerate bed heating for me was still to just switch to glass+hair spray.  You can print at 70C instead of 90C+ and you don't need to wait for prints to cooldown before starting another print as you just switch out to another piece of glass.

cmetzel wrote:

Found this while picking up some things at Walmart in the pots and pans section on one of those clip on racks hanging from a shelf.  I think it was only a couple dollars $2.99 maybe?  It's a silicone pot holder and trivet.  It's sold under the brand name gourmet club, and is distributed by Best Brands.  It says it's up to 450F heat resistant (=232C) so it should never be an issue of burning or melting to the bed.   

My test was to start a timer at exactly 50C and stop at 95C
Control test was just glass and alum bed.  22m 31s
W/ pot holder on glass time was improved to  14m 32s

8 minute improvement seems worth it to me, saves me from starting my prints too early when I get impatient.

I picked up a pack of two at our local Meijer store for $4.99. They are square and fit perfectly on the bed.

SD2
E3D V6
MK5 V6

I just finished my auto-retracting bed cover:

http://www.soliforum.com/post/12339/#p12339

Using 1/4" cork glued onto 1/4" MDF, 50degC -> 95degC in 9 minutes flat.   Cork is supposed to ignite at 300-320 degC, so it seems safe for this application.

I just put on a bed thick cardboard square.