Topic: HIPS

Has anyone tried extruding HIPS or PVA for support material?

-Prusa i3 MK2s
-Airwolf HD2x w/ E3D v6 + Volcano
-Custom built Solidoodle 3 clone w/ E3D v6+ Volcano    -Solidoodle Press w/ E3D Lite6
Filastruder #1577

Re: HIPS

Sorry, not I...I try to avoid the need for support like the plague!

SD2 - Stock - Enclosure - Heated Bed - Glass Plate - Auto Fire Extinguisher
Ord Bot Hadron - RAMPS 1.4 - Bulldog XL - E3D v6 - 10" x 10" PCB Heated Build w/SSR - Glass Plate
Thanks for All of Your Help!

3 (edited by josh.aeauto 2015-08-06 18:31:38)

Agreed, but I can't seem to avoid it.

Post's attachments

12307Insulator.STL 151.94 kb, 33 downloads since 2015-08-06 

12894_Cover.STL 1.87 mb, 29 downloads since 2015-08-06 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.
-Prusa i3 MK2s
-Custom built Solidoodle 3 clone w/ E3D v6+ Volcano    -Solidoodle Press w/ E3D Lite6
Filastruder #1577

josh.aeauto wrote:

Might be pushing 3d printing to its limit with those, even with supports. Also I hope you allowed for shrinkage in your design dimensions.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

carl_m1968 wrote:

Might be pushing 3d printing to its limit with those, even with supports. Also I hope you allowed for shrinkage in your design dimensions.

These are both working models and are already in production and printed on a regular basis along with several others that are very similar.

-Prusa i3 MK2s
Filastruder #1577

josh.aeauto wrote:
carl_m1968 wrote:

These are both working models and are already in production and printed on a regular basis along with several others that are very similar.

Ok, guess my printer just sucks then... I would go with PVA as it is water soluble to my knowledge while hips requires Lemonol which here in the United States is not common.

josh.aeauto wrote:

Is that for an alternator? That's pretty cool!

I've heard rumblings of HIPS and PVA success, but no public posts if memory serves.

You know HIPS being water soluble brings up a point. How would this stuff work in a place with high humidity? I would think there would be some much more negative affects in it then other filaments.

elmoret wrote:

Is that for an alternator? That's pretty cool!

Yes! We remanufacture alternators here at work, and we print plastic alternator parts that we can't buy like the insulator and cover above. Obviously it's preferable if we can buy them, but sometimes they aren't available, so this helps us complete orders that otherwise can't be filled. Hence my interest in high-heat and high-strength materials like PC.

To my understanding, HIPS is soluble in D-Limonene and PVA is water soluble. Although it is expensive, D-Limonene is available in the US. HIPS prints at a higher temp (260) and prints like ABS, and PVA prints around 180C. I was thinking since my heated bed is run at 140, and I am printing at 290, HIPS would probably be the better option.

-Prusa i3 MK2s
Filastruder #1577

HIPS isn't water soluble, its D-Limonene soluble.

PVA is water soluble, and its a huge pain to print with. If you think Nylon is bad for humidity - PVA is worse!

elmoret wrote:

PVA is water soluble, and its a huge pain to print with. If you think Nylon is bad for humidity - PVA is worse!

Yup, HIPS it is then! Humidity is not that great here in South Carolina.

-Prusa i3 MK2s
Filastruder #1577

12 (edited by IronMan 2015-08-06 20:24:55)

Yeah...tough parts!

But at least for the Insulator, I would flip that and model in a 0.5mm thick face at the bottom of the I.D. to let the the whole surface bridge...then exacto it out after.  Granted that curved area would still be a challenge, though.

Told you...I hate supports!

Ord Bot Hadron - RAMPS 1.4 - Bulldog XL - E3D v6 - 10" x 10" PCB Heated Build w/SSR - Glass Plate

IronMan wrote:

Told you...I hate supports!

I do too.. that's why i want to try dissolvable supports

-Prusa i3 MK2s
Filastruder #1577

I'm sure the HIPS will work out for you...I think that is what Stratasys uses typically.

Does anyone know if the D-Limonene is reusable? It's too expensive not to be.

-Prusa i3 MK2s
Filastruder #1577

A place I know locally uses it in a heated tank...I will ask them.

Thanks. Just to clarify, by reusable I mean can be used for multiple prints. I imagine it gets thick after a while like acetone would, but acetone can dissolve a lot of ABS before it gets too weak.

-Prusa i3 MK2s
Filastruder #1577

Yes, its reusable.

Do be advised that D-Limonene dissolves Styrene, which is a component of ABS. As a result it doesn't play nice with ABS.

I didn't know that. Speaking of dissolving ABS, just a thought, but what do you think about using ABS as support and dissolving it in acetone?

Sorry this post is kindof off-topic now.

-Prusa i3 MK2s
Filastruder #1577

People do use HIPS and ABS with D-Limonene, but I just want to point out that its not like the ABS is unaffected.

Acetone damages/dissolves polycarbonate, if that's what you were thinking of pairing with ABS.

Have you tried Simplify3D's supports? I haven't, but I've heard good things.

21 (edited by IronMan 2015-08-07 12:52:27)

I talked to my source and he uses the HIPS as support and D-Limonene with water in a recirculating heated tank (160F) and he did not have specifics, but says with an average build volume of normal parts (8 x 6 x 6), running constantly, he changes the solution about once every 2 weeks...can be as frequent as weekly or as infrequent as 3-4 weeks dependent on part size, etc.

You must check frequently to make sure the ABS is not getting attacked, but usually 10-12 hrs in the tank works out well.

Thanks guys.

I tried Simplify3D a while back but it was when I was in the middle of figuring out which material I wanted, and I found that repetier + slic3r made it much easier to change between materials. I'll give it a try again.

-Prusa i3 MK2s
Filastruder #1577

Ok, guess my printer just sucks then... I would go with PVA as it is water soluble to my knowledge while hips requires Lemonol which here in the United States is not common.

Like anything else I guess you just need to look. IMHO it is common just not by that name and not in concentrated form.
It is however a bit pricey.

d-Limonene is a very effective, naturally
occurring, biodegradable solvent and
degreaser, extracted from the peel of
oranges. It is 100% natural, environmentally
friendly, and non-toxic. Due to its attractive
citrus aroma, versatility, and Generally
Recognized As Safe (GRAS) by the FDA,
d-Limonene can be used safely and
effectively in a wide range of products.

http://www.floridachemical.com/App%20Pa … mbined.pdf

I talked to my source and he uses the HIPS as support and D-Limonene with water in a recirculating heated tank (160F) and he did not have specifics, but says with an average build volume of normal parts (8 x 6 x 6), running constantly, he changes the solution about once every 2 weeks...can be as frequent as weekly or as infrequent as 3-4 weeks dependent on part size, etc.
You must check frequently to make sure the ABS is not getting attacked, but usually 10-12 hrs in the tank works out well.

According to the product guide sheet from florida Chemical  if you intend to mix with water you either need to add a  sufficant or buy a D-Limonene product with sufficant that is designed to be diluted with water.

And I have seen HIPS on the shelf of Micro center.
Tin

Soliddoodle 4 stock w glass bed------Folger Tech Prusa 2020 upgraded to and titan /aero extruder mirror bed
FT5 with titan/ E3D Aero------MP mini select w glass bed
MP Utimate maker pro-W bondtech extruder
Marlin/Repetier Host/ Slic3r and Cura

@josh  where u at in sc? im in the upstate and been using hips for over a year. extrudes great and dissolves good, but most of the time can be removed without solvent.

can print up to 15x15" idk how big your print is, and what temps its gonna have to take, looks like a small engine pull cord cover.
also working with nylon6 and pc now

cor5151 wrote:

@josh  where u at in sc? im in the upstate and been using hips for over a year. extrudes great and dissolves good, but most of the time can be removed without solvent.

can print up to 15x15" idk how big your print is, and what temps its gonna have to take, looks like a small engine pull cord cover.
also working with nylon6 and pc now

Upstate as well. You're the second person I've met on here that's within an hour's drive!

I've been using HIPS for about the past week now, and it seems to work pretty good. It is easier to remove it than ABS since HIPS/ABS doesn't seem to bond anything like ABS/ABS.

With smaller parts, supports usually dissolve within a few hours using an agitator.

-Prusa i3 MK2s
Filastruder #1577