Topic: Optical Eendstop

recently purchased some optical endstops.  I tried to hookup one on the z axis, and it works backwards.  The led is on when nothing is blocking the optical device and the reverse happens when it is blocked.  To use this as a z axis home switch it would have to be blocked until it got home then have a small space to stop and reverse the axis.  Is there something I have done wrong or not done, or are the endstops not suitable for this purpose?

Bud

Post's attachments

endstop.JPG 17.79 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Re: Optical Eendstop

budschenke wrote:

recently purchased some optical endstops.  I tried to hookup one on the z axis, and it works backwards.  The led is on when nothing is blocking the optical device and the reverse happens when it is blocked.  To use this as a z axis home switch it would have to be blocked until it got home then have a small space to stop and reverse the axis.  Is there something I have done wrong or not done, or are the endstops not suitable for this purpose?

Bud

The question is does the printer see it functioning the same way. Depending on the manufacturer the LED on the endstop has a different purpose. It can mean it is open or closed. What you have to do is see if the printer sees it triggering when it should. If not then you have to go into your firmware and invert that endstop.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

The printer sees the trigger, it just sees it in reverse.  How would I change that in the firmware?  I'm a newbie here and have not done much with the firmware besides load it.

budschenke wrote:

The printer sees the trigger, it just sees it in reverse.  How would I change that in the firmware?  I'm a newbie here and have not done much with the firmware besides load it.

What kind of printer is it, what kind of mainboard is it running on and do you happen know what firmware it is using? Better yet do you have a copy of the firmware already as in have you upgraded or flash it to another version?

The printer is a new brand called Fusion, it is a kit that has an Arduino board with a ramps 1.4 on top of it.  The firmware is Reach_Marlin.
It is the one I installed when I put this all together.

Then you can open the firmware in arduino. In the configuration.h tab there is a section for endstops.  Just go in there set invert Z to true or the opposite of its current setting then upload the firmware with the new setting.

Thank you Carl,
I just finished uploading and testing and it works great, just like I was expecting it to.