Topic: raft keeps coming loose

ok, got past the initial jam,
now the print keeps fouling as the raft comes loose and i just get a big blob..

i've turned the heater up to 100 degrees... and it'll get about half-way on the larger prints before the raft comes loose and starts to slide around...

how can i fix this?

Re: raft keeps coming loose

Make sure you've gone through all calibration steps, most notably First Layers - Setting the Z offset & Leveling the Print Bed

http://wiki.solidoodle.com/solidoodle-1

will try,  didn't see that bit about z-axis adjustment.

thanks

ok, Zaxis is adjusted

raft seems to print at consistent thickness,

but after about 3-4 layers, it still slides.

I've seen comments about acetone and hairspray,  is that needed to get a successful print?

Clean bed is needed.  If you have skin oil from touching it that can be the difference.  I clean mine with hand sanitizer so I don't have to have acetone sitting around.  Then I use hairspray but I'm also using glass on top of my heated bed to allow for faster restarts between prints.  I don't know if I'd spray hairspray in the machine but maybe you can spray on a towel and wipe it on or something to give it extra tackiness. 

What are you trying to print, can you attach the STL file or a picture of your failed print it may help us troubleshoot.

ok, after much adjusting... it's almost working...

up to 10-12 layers,  the ends of the raft (where there's no print) is holding,  but the center where the object is,  has lost grip... looks like when it cools down too much it loses adhesion...

will try again with a cleaning solution

Why should it cool down? The bed should stay hot throughout the full print. I've done probably around 30 prints now and never cleaned the bed yet. However, I'm carefull never to touch it, I always use my plastic scraper to scape de part of.

Are you sure your bed isn't going cold during the print?

Are you printing in a cold room by any chance, and are you enclosed?  If you're not enclosed tape some cardboard over the openings to keep the build environment warm.  Maybe your ABS is cooling inconsistently and causing warping.

9 (edited by Mr_Smigs 2013-02-03 18:29:44)

I'm in AZ, in my opinion, it's never cold...

the room temp is in the 70s. (the printer before heating, reads the bed temp at 20-23)

According to the print manager, the bet is staying in the 90-100 range

this last couple prints, the raft held until i was about .5cm tall, then it started losing grip...

at this point, i can see the imprint of the raft on the kapton tape on the bed (like the back and forth squiggle)

I've swabbed the printer with acetone, gave it a good 15 minutes to make sure the acetone's dried off, and now I'm just waiting for it to reheat.

If this doesn't work, I'll try the "shell the sides with cardboard to keep the heat" idea...

You shouldn't need to shield it with temps like that... I have a SD in a room around 65F and no cover on the printer and ABS sticks really good(too good actually), all I use is a 1.5mm brim no raft, usually no support unless it's a model that just has to have it. I also just set the bed level then set the z axis height with a piece of regular old 20lb copier paper, set the bed to 95C and the head to 200/195C then hit print

11 (edited by Mr_Smigs 2013-02-03 19:33:42)

VICTORY!
(tape scraped a little when i removed, but i have some spare)

now to just resolve the dripping and life will be awesome!

thanks for the help all