Topic: Software to cleanup my scans in Ubuntu 15.04

Hi,

I finished building my Atlas last week. I did some fine-tuning: adjusting the lasers and adjusting the focus of the Raspicam.
Although I still have to experiment a little more on the ambient lighting, I got some descent scans.

Now my problem: I'm looking for software to use under Ubuntu 15.04.

I tried Meshlab, but the only version for Ubuntu is 1.3.2 and that one is totally useless. When I try to make a selection it crashes all the time.

Meshmixer does have an experimental version for Ubuntu, but only for 14.04, not 15.04

I have Netfabb, but from what I understand it is not capable of doing the job right.

Any suggestions for other usable software?

Re: Software to cleanup my scans in Ubuntu 15.04

I've played around with Blender, at one point executing a series of tutorials, for a week or two continuously. It's been far too long since then for me to be certain, but I would expect you could use Blender. It's free and works on all platforms, Ubuntu included.

The learning experience may be daunting though. Some functions and executions are counter-intuitive at first. Right clicking to select an object rather than left clicking took some getting used to. A left click repositions the 3d cursor which can end up in free space just about anywhere, until you learn how to use the various viewports to pinpoint the cursor.

Some features, such as "box" select would work well for deleting floating debris from a scan. Press B in the main edit window and drag a box, then X, X to delete it.

FSL3D Pegasus Touch (not yet used, out for updating/upgrading)
Kudos3D (still in box/kit form, for sale)

Re: Software to cleanup my scans in Ubuntu 15.04

I tried Blender a couple of times but the learning experience is daunting indeed!

I managed to install Meshmixer  but it crashes on large files.

I guess when there is nothing else I have to give Blender a try again :-(