Topic: Davinci junior not original filament

hi

is there somebody that has used another brand of filament in the davinci junior  with a good result ?

i just have tryed

3D Solutech 1.75mm PLA 3D Printer Filament Real Red (with the chip off the clear xyzfilament)

and i cant get it printing  .. clicking sound on the right  hardly filament out off the extruder ..

after that i changed back to the original black and there were no issue's

Re: Davinci junior not original filament

You need a way to change the temperature. It has been known for a few years since the 1.0 release that XYZ uses a special formulation in their filament that allows it to melt at a much lower temp than other brands. The XYZ filament melts at less than 190 while other brands need higher than 190. This is true for both their ABS and PLA.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

This is disappointing, does this mean the effort going on to bypass the NFC security is pointless as other brands of filament won't even work unless we have a way to alter the temperature?

Unless they made a change or exception for this one printer I would have to say yes. If you read a chip which is a serial eeprom that is on a cartridge for the other Da Vinci models it has the temp settings on it so the printer knows what temps to use. The temp for ABS is 190. We all know that other brands will not melt at 190. In fact most brands reqiure 210 or higher.

I use Midland ABS in my 1.0 which is Microcenter's house brand. I have to run it at 220 to get good prints. I used Shaxon as well and had to run it at 235.

This is why with the cartridges they being hackers have made a resetter that allows you to go in and change the set temps or you have to edit the gcode to change the temp from there.

Its just another way that XYZ is making it hard not to use their filament.

In the case of the JR. They guys doing Repetier for the other Da Vinci models might be able to port the firmware to the JR as well at some point so any filament can be used and any slicer can be used. However the user base for the JR is very small right now so it may be a while.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

5 (edited by marcoooo 2015-06-30 09:08:34)

thnx for this informaion  sounds to me that i need to donate the JR  to the kids and move on to a DiY kit

any sugestions ?

just looking on ebay .. what if i buy this set

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3D-Printer-Mega … 3f4f274e02

will i then have everything i need to get the junior going ?

6 (edited by jakecrowley 2016-01-08 03:39:50)

I don't know if you've seen this yet and if you haven't found a solution this is worth checking out! It is a modified XYZWare that enables a hidden 'Advanced Mode' that allows you to edit the W3 encoded GCode files in real time inside of the software.
Just download the file, rename XYZ.exe in your XYZWare folder in program files to XYZOld.exe and replace it with the download XYZ.exe
once you're in, load up a model, change "M109 S190.000000" to "M109 S230.000000" in the GCode, and you're good to go! The printer should heat up to 230C and should print with non-proprietary filament just fine!
Now its just a matter of figuring out how to reset the reset the NFC chips or flash the firmware so we don't have to buy XYZPrintings stupid expensive proprietary crap.

XYZWare Advanced Mode: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_HO5X … pUc0U/view