Topic: extruder fan

Is an extruder fan really necessary? If so, wonder why it  is not  included on  SDs.

SD3, E3D hotend,linear bearing on x/y axis',pillow block bearing on y conneting rod, ball bearngs on front y axis, fan on y stepper motor.

Re: extruder fan

only for some fine detailed .1mm or steep overhangs. I have been real happy with my SD2 and I have yet to do the fan mod.  Solidoodle's focus seems to have been their good prints at a good size and a good price.

Same for me. I hardly ever use the extruder fan I printed. I actually used it more for cooling my prints to get them to pop off the glass quicker. The extruder fans seem to just get in my view so much that I ended up removing it and relocating it to where the extruder motor normally would sit. It faces downward and I just use it for cooling prints when done printing. I'll make a duct for it sometime that comes down from behind the extruder nozzle so that it stays out of my view. Was thinking of also adding some activated carbon to the top of it so the fan could be more than just a fan.

vince7c95 wrote:

Same for me. I hardly ever use the extruder fan I printed. I actually used it more for cooling my prints to get them to pop off the glass quicker. The extruder fans seem to just get in my view so much that I ended up removing it and relocating it to where the extruder motor normally would sit. It faces downward and I just use it for cooling prints when done printing. I'll make a duct for it sometime that comes down from behind the extruder nozzle so that it stays out of my view. Was thinking of also adding some activated carbon to the top of it so the fan could be more than just a fan.

I like the activated carbon idea.

Former Solidoodle employee, no longer associated with the company.