Topic: what is the white plastic thing on the back ?

on the back side of the Solidoodle 2 is a white plastic attachment with 4 screws holding it to the frame . what is that ? at first i thought it was a place to hold the filament, but that does not seem right.

Re: what is the white plastic thing on the back ?

That is what it is... A piece of PVC jams into that hole and it holds the filament.

zimmer62 wrote:

That is what it is... A piece of PVC jams into that hole and it holds the filament.

hmm, all right. seems like it would be unrolling sideways instead of parallel to the head.

Yes, it seems to work okay, once you have use it for a while... the first few prints I had to babysit the reel from getting tangled up.

There are some other good designs for reels, I'll be building one of those.

This is what i use:
(Click for larger)
http://merko.name/i/d8a56-thumbnail.jpg

I know Ian Johnson also got a nice filament spool holder that you might wanna check out

I just roughed in a Filament Spool Holder. I have 10 different colors of filament that I keep on hand. I wanted all of them to be available so I can switch them out when needed. With this holder, they are all available. I also printed this filament holder off  to hold the filament ends http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:19843. I mount the spool holder under my desk and mounted the filament holder to the wall behind my printer. The filament spools up from under the desk and into my printer.

Post's attachments

Filament 2.JPG
Filament 2.JPG 463.84 kb, 3 downloads since 2012-08-26 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.
SD2
E3D V6
MK5 V6

Nice spool holder Gordym. I think I will build a similar one from pvc. You didn't patent that one yet did you?  ;-)

Thanks. No patent. It is still a work in progress. I haven't even glued any joints yet and it is still stable.  Of course you don't want to glue everything otherwise you wouldn't be able to remove the old spools to replace them.  I just chose some old PVC from another project to create it.  So far, so good.

SD2
E3D V6
MK5 V6

lobosolo wrote:
zimmer62 wrote:

hmm, all right. seems like it would be unrolling sideways instead of parallel to the head.

It is odd they put it there but it does work.