Topic: Removal of unnecessary triangles?

Is there any software that lightens objects down and deletes all lines and points inside of an object that don't really serve a purpose? Maybe even removes polygons from a rectangular surface that really just needs four points?

Re: Removal of unnecessary triangles?

I thought that was what netfabb does?

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

carl_m1968 wrote:

I thought that was what netfabb does?

No, not automatically.  You would have to do that manually.

Additionally, NetFabb basic doesn't have any triangle reduction algorithms, so if you remove a traingle, you're left with a hole.  NetFabb can fill holes manually, but it does so in a "direct" manner.  BY this I mean it will fill a hole with as close to a straight surface as it can.  Any surface details that were there before, will be gone.

For what the OP wants to do, the best software is MeshLab.  MeshLab has simplification algorithms that will removed unnecessary triangles from a surface, but preserve the surface topology.  It can effectively reduce the number of triangles by as much as 80% without any visible fidelity loss.

To print or, 3D print, that is the question...
SD3 printer w/too many mods,  Printrbot Simple Maker Ed.,  FormLabs Form 1+
AnyCubic Photon, Shining 3D EinScan-S & Atlas 3D scanners...
...and too much time on my hands.

Yeah I've definitely run objects through netfabb cloud service, changed it back to a .dae for more editing, and found there were still extra shapes inside and on surfaces of objects.

NetFabb fixes mesh error, closes holes, and attempts to make the object manifold so it can be sliced and printed without errors.

However it doesn't do anything to modify or simplify the object.  The Pro version has a "Refine Mesh" option, which appears to do a triangle reduction, but I can't verify that since I don't have the Pro version of the NetFabb.

Again, this is what MeshLab does best.  It has the means to simplify the mesh.  So if you need to reduce the number of traingles in a mesh, load the STL file in MeshLab, then from the filter menu select Remeshing, Simplification & Reconstruction / Quadratic Edge Collapse.  from the PopUp menu select the desired number of face (by default it's half the current number), and click apply.  When done, export your mesh as STL and you're done.  Simple, no complications.

FWIW, NetFabb is intended to clean up the mesh to get it ready for printing.  Whatever edits you do afterward, will most likely break the fixes NetFabb applied, so use NetFabb only as the last step before printing the object.

To print or, 3D print, that is the question...
SD3 printer w/too many mods,  Printrbot Simple Maker Ed.,  FormLabs Form 1+
AnyCubic Photon, Shining 3D EinScan-S & Atlas 3D scanners...
...and too much time on my hands.