Re: Power cord on solidoodle 2

Thats pretty cool. Do I have to reprogram the firmware on the ebay ones or do they come loaded already? Is that easy to do?

Pretty much any replacement board you get will need to be flashed with firmware.

Printit Industries Model 8.10 fully enclosed CoreXY, Chamber heat
3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL
Thanks to all for your contributions

28 (edited by DingoThe3rd 2015-07-14 20:48:54)

I have a few more questions.
-I see other people using different firmwares than solidoodle like from Adrian. Are these better?
-The boards on ebay have a 4 pin atx connector for the power. What do I need to convert that to a wall plug?
-Which is better geetech, reprap, or the step stick board.

Actually after browsing, I like this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221346197194

Does this have everything I need? Do the steppers matter? Why are they blue instead of pololu a94?

I really appreciate you guy's help in this so far, I really have no talent for electronics.

DingoThe3rd wrote:

I have a few more questions.
-I see other people using different firmwares than solidoodle like from Adrian. Are these better?
-The boards on ebay have a 4 pin atx connector for the power. What do I need to convert that to a wall plug?
-Which is better geetech, reprap, or the step stick board.

Just stay away from Geetech. They are known for poor solder.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

The only difference I see on this board are the green screw terminals next to the black power screw terminal.

On my board they are not there and instead have red plugs that connect to white plugs on the board. Will they still be compatible?

http://soliforum.com/i/?1r2wUz0.jpg

DingoThe3rd wrote:

The only difference I see on this board are the green screw terminals next to the black power screw terminal.

On my board they are not there and instead have red plugs that connect to white plugs on the board. Will they still be compatible?

http://soliforum.com/i/?1r2wUz0.jpg

You just cut off the red plug, strip back the wires and insert them into the screw terminal. Just make sure you observe polarity.

Cool, I'm going to order this board then. Polarity is positive and negative right? how do I find out which piece of wire is the negative one?

33 (edited by carl_m1968 2015-07-14 21:32:35)

Just like in a car, red is positive and black and negative. In your picture the wire on the right side of each connector is positive.

Ok, Im a little worried then because both wires are red. If I do this it should be the same thing right?
-
-
http://soliforum.com/i/?1IN6ccz.jpg

Look closely at the silkscreen/writing on your old board at those connectors.  You see V- and +12V. There are four holes including the ones the connector is in. Those are actually V-V- +12V+12V same on both connectors. All the new board was give you all four points instead of just the two middle. You don't need to use the two outside pins on each connector of the new board. Just imagine they are not there and connect the wires pin for pin as they where on the old board.

The blue connector is where your wall power supply would connect. Again pin for pin.

Alright, thanks a lot carl. I just need a new power supply and I should be able to get my printer back up and running again.

Hmm, if those 2 outside pins have power also can I put a fan for my nozzle in there?

What do those wires actually go to?

I dont know, let me follow them.

The right side red wires go down and then it looks like they go to the bottom of my bed.
The left side wires go up into the sleeve that connects to the side of the nozzle. I cant see where it goes from there but it might be the red connector that connects to the black tape around the nozzle.

You can't hook fans to those then as they are the heater output for your bed and nozzle. The can't drive a fan unless you want the fan to only be on when the bed or nozzle heater is heating. Just note that once the bed or nozzle reaches temp it will shut off and then come back on when the temp drops. It will do this several times a second so they are not optimal for fan outputs. The one the goes to the nozzle also does not have a polarity and as long as you have no indicator lights on your bed like some printers do then that set of wires that goes down to the bed have no polarity either.

Ok then. Do you know if the chips be salvaged from the old board and if its worth it?

I would not mess with tho old board since I believe you confirmed it was not working exactly right. You could maybe salvage the main IC as it should have your settings and such stored and make the new board a direct drop in. If the new board has the stepper drivers pictured, then they are superior to your original ones. However not all controllers are even shipped with stepper drivers so confirm exactly what you are buying.

If the stepper drivers are the "blue ice step stick" chips then it will arrive with those assembled for an extra charge.

I think what happened was when I was removing the solder from my old board, I tried to do it without the de-solder pump first. When I melted the solder I pushed the iron in too far and it got physically stuck into the board and I had to pull it out and the solder didn't even go with it. So I ended up getting the pump which was way way easier but I assume the damage was done at that point already.
Its either that or my power supply transformer, but I tried to test my transformer with a power supply tester for a PC. I jammed the bare wires in where it said 12 V but all it did was make a white spark so I don't really know if it works or not and it seemed like a bad idea to continue so Ill wait for the new board to try it out on that and if not Ill get a new transformer.

My new controller arrived in the mail today, it appears to look fine but I need a second opinion from someone whos built one before. Is the highlighted area in the picture damage or will it work fine?

-
http://soliforum.com/i/?yNVsddN.jpg

the chip appears to be crooked but its on there sturdy and soldered up.

Those are your stepper drivers and each one is a carrier board in a socket that can be removed and replaced if needed. Some times they build the boards without test fitting all the parts. You could just sand down the edge of the carrier a bit to get it to fit better or just leave it alone. It is in the socket far enough it should not be a problem.

Ok, thanks. Now the vendor says it comes pre loaded with standard marlin. I assume solidoodle does not use standard marlin?

Marlin is the same as Repetier, in my opinion a bit smoother on motor management. You will have to configure it just like you would had you bought one loaded with Repetier. Unless somebody wants to share their pre configured firmware with you.

My old Board still makes a usb connection to the pc, is there a way to pull the config out of there?

DingoThe3rd wrote:

My old Board still makes a usb connection to the pc, is there a way to pull the config out of there?

It is already compiled. Once compiled you cannot read it back out of the device in a form you can use or edit.

Your only option is look up the settings on Google. Search for things like Configure Marlin for SD2 and such. Or ask around here and see if somebody is willing to share their firmware with you. I am not that familiar with an SD2 and what goes into programming it. But with the board you have no all you need is the firmware and a copy of Arduino.