Topic: What kind of autoleveling probe is this printer using??

Any idea what that probe is? Also, how hard it might be to install on a kossel kit?

Folgertech Kossel Kit

Re: What kind of autoleveling probe is this printer using??

Its just the usual switch mounted to a servo. All the did is mounted the switch above the effector and used a rod that passes down through the effector to make the probe.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

What type of switch? Mine has the endstop style switch I'm looking to replace it.

Folgertech Kossel Kit

brightwing wrote:

What type of switch? Mine has the endstop style switch I'm looking to replace it.

They are usually the same type of switch. they just use a spring loaded push rod extended to the switch. I can tell you first hand, they are not real reliable as the switch is not precise and does not always trigger at the exact same point. So some spot can very by as much as .01 mm.

Autoleveling is still in experiment stages on most firmware and is still not as reliable as doing by hand with paper or feeler gauges. It is intended for a printer that has a fixed bed like most deltas. If your bed is adjustable as being mounted on springs then you should not even be using autolevel as it will not be accurate.

Carl:

I think you have mixed something up in your post.

Autolevelling is NOT for deltaprinters. Deltas have a fixed bed, which should not need to be levelled if it is properly
built and calibrated. Cartesian printers where the bed moves does need it.

6 (edited by carl_m1968 2015-07-20 22:39:06)

Actually Deltas do need leveling as it is impossible to get the bed exactly level as long as plastic parts are used in construction. So the Delta uses autolevel to adjust for and compensate for those errors. For example, my Delta was built with lowe cross beam mounts flush to upright bottoms. Bed mounts which is an acrylic frame mounted flush to second lower cross bars. Bed mounted to that and there is still a deviation of +/- .05 mm across the bed. The height that the home switches are mounted at in regards to the bed also impact what height the head will be at over the bed. It is very hard to get all three at the exact same height due to the way the lever switches function and trigger.

Furthermore nearly every video of every delta I have seen has autoleveling and runs it at the start of every print.