Topic: HDMI to Monitor Problem

I posted a thread earlier trying to get my Atlas 3D RPi to talk to my computer through the USB dongle. It was pointed out that it would be easier to set it up with the dongle if I just plugged it directly into a HDMI monitor with a USB Keyboard and Mouse.

I purchased an inexpensive monitor, keyboard and mouse and plugged them all in. The monitor appears to be getting a signal but nothing other than a couple of short blurry/squiggly lines show up.

If I turn off the RPi I get a "Signal Lost" message on the monitor so I know the two are talking.

To trouble shoot it further, I plugged the HDMI cable from the RPi into my big TV and it displayed the boot lines from the RPi.

Next I plugged a laptop into the new monitor using the same HDMI cable and it came right up on the monitor.

So my question is... What the heck is up between my RPi and new monitor. All trouble shooting suggest it should be working but I get nothing!

Re: HDMI to Monitor Problem

KennyB wrote:

I posted a thread earlier trying to get my Atlas 3D RPi to talk to my computer through the USB dongle. It was pointed out that it would be easier to set it up with the dongle if I just plugged it directly into a HDMI monitor with a USB Keyboard and Mouse.

I purchased an inexpensive monitor, keyboard and mouse and plugged them all in. The monitor appears to be getting a signal but nothing other than a couple of short blurry/squiggly lines show up.

If I turn off the RPi I get a "Signal Lost" message on the monitor so I know the two are talking.

To trouble shoot it further, I plugged the HDMI cable from the RPi into my big TV and it displayed the boot lines from the RPi.

Next I plugged a laptop into the new monitor using the same HDMI cable and it came right up on the monitor.

So my question is... What the heck is up between my RPi and new monitor. All trouble shooting suggest it should be working but I get nothing!

Its possible the native resolution of the monitor is not supported by the Rpi. Or maybe the other way around as well.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

3 (edited by 8-Bits 2015-06-08 23:39:43)

KennyB wrote:

...I purchased an inexpensive monitor, keyboard and mouse and plugged them all in. The monitor appears to be getting a signal but nothing other than a couple of short blurry/squiggly lines show up...

@KennyB

What is the make and model of the monitor you purchased?

John

Maker Farm Prusa i3 kit (a very good first printer kit)
Printrbot Simple Metal kit (worked great from the start) ++ FlashForge Creator Pro (RTR out of the box)
Atlas 3D Scanner (KS Backer kit with mods)

8-Bits wrote:
KennyB wrote:

...I purchased an inexpensive monitor, keyboard and mouse and plugged them all in. The monitor appears to be getting a signal but nothing other than a couple of short blurry/squiggly lines show up...

@KennyB

What is the make and model of the monitor you purchased?

UpStar P190WM

That monitor supports 1366 x 768 which is a bit of an oddball resolution.  You may have to manually edit the Pi config to that resulution.

6 (edited by 8-Bits 2015-06-09 01:07:44)

KennyB wrote:

UpStar P190WM

Well I can't find a user manual on-line for that monitor.  I did find that your monitor defaults to 1366 X 768 resolution and a 5:4 aspect ratio, which are unusual (in the U.S.).  If you have not already tried the monitor's Menu settings to change resolution and other video format options, you should do that first.  If you have already tried that you will need to see if the RPi supports the monitor's fixed HDMI format.

HDMI has numerous configurations and Raspbian attempts to use the settings the monitor should be sending when the OS requests it.   This is an RPi reference that may help: https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view … amp;t=5851

If you are not comfortable making changes to Raspbian you are probably better off exchanging the monitor for a different make/model.

Good luck!

John

Printrbot Simple Metal kit (worked great from the start) ++ FlashForge Creator Pro (RTR out of the box)

8-Bits wrote:
KennyB wrote:

UpStar P190WM

Well I can't find a user manual on-line for that monitor.  I did find that your monitor defaults to 1366 X 768 resolution and a 5:4 aspect ratio, which are unusual (in the U.S.).  If you have not already tried the monitor's Menu settings to change resolution and other video format options, you should do that first.  If you have already tried that you will need to see if the RPi supports the monitor's fixed HDMI format.

HDMI has numerous configurations and Raspbian attempts to use the settings the monitor should be sending when the OS requests it.   This is an RPi reference that may help: https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view … amp;t=5851

If you are not comfortable making changes to Raspbian you are probably better off exchanging the monitor for a different make/model.

Good luck!

Do you think this would work, out of the box?

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-19-5-Inch … mi+monitor

KennyB wrote:
8-Bits wrote:
KennyB wrote:

UpStar P190WM

Good luck!

All you need is s monitor that has a native meaning stock resolution of 1920 x 1080 or even 1024 x 768. It jusy needs to be one of the standard normal pc resolutions.

KennyB wrote:
8-Bits wrote:
KennyB wrote:

UpStar P190WM

Good luck!

All you need is s monitor that has a native meaning stock resolution of 1920 x 1080 or even 1024 x 768. It jusy needs to be one of the standard normal pc resolutions. I dont see the actual spec but one of the question answers says 1600 x 900 which again is not a standard resolution.

1366x768 is a pretty common resolution usually found in inexpensive notebooks and tablets.  It's also know as WXGA (Wide XGA).  The aspect ratio is not exactly 16:9, but it's very close (16.07:9.03).

The Rpi should support that resolution without any problems.  I would actually take a look at your HDMI cable.  Make sure it actually fits in the HDMI socket of the RPi.  The Atlas case opening might not be large enough for your cable, and if your cable is not pushed all the way in, you might get the symptoms you're getting. 

If in doubt, remove the RPi from the plastic case, and try again.

To print or, 3D print, that is the question...
SD3 printer w/too many mods,  Printrbot Simple Maker Ed.,  FormLabs Form 1+
AnyCubic Photon, Shining 3D EinScan-S & Atlas 3D scanners...
...and too much time on my hands.

11 (edited by 8-Bits 2015-06-09 12:20:54)

KennyB wrote:

Take a look at this one:  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005BZ … PDKIKX0DER

It has a standard PC resolution of 1920 x 1080 and an adjustable aspect ratio down to 4:3 that should let you get better text clarity which is important for an RPi monitor.

BTW, be sure to reboot or power cycle the RPi after you make any monitor adjustments so it gets the correct EDID video information from the monitor.

John

12 (edited by 8-Bits 2015-06-09 11:18:07)

pirvan wrote:

1366x768 is a pretty common resolution usually found in inexpensive notebooks and tablets.

By definition laptops and tablets will use resolutions that are not "standard" and often have OS drivers to attempt to adjust for this.  If you check the raspberyypi.org link I included in one of my earlier responses you will see a table of the supported resolutions.

And since the Raspbian interface supplied with the A3D scanner does not include a GUI, the monitor should also support better than usual text rendering.

John

I don't understand what you mean by "By definition laptops and tablets will use resolutions that are not "standard"".  But as you can see on the link you provided the resolution in question is there:

HDMI_DMT_1366x768_60 = 0x51, /**<1366x768 60Hz */
HDMI_DMT_1080p_60 = 0x52, /**<Same as 1080p60 in CEA above */
HDMI_DMT_1600x900_RB = 0x53, /**<1600x900 reduced blanking */
HDMI_DMT_2048x1152_RB = 0x54, /**<2048x1152 reduced blanking */
HDMI_DMT_720p_60 = 0x55, /**<Same as 720p60 in CEA above */
HDMI_DMT_1366x768_RB = 0x56, /**<1366x768 reduced blanking */

And the whole point of the OP's question was not whether the RPi supported the right aspect ratio or not, so much as he couldn't get it working at all.  His problem has nothing to do with resolutions or aspect ratios.  So based on the list above, that monitor he has should work just fine.  So I still say, check to make sure the HDMI cable is plugged in properly.

I modified my Atlas 3D RPi box so that the HDMI cable fits completely and seats well. To prove it I've plugged it into my 48" TV and it works perfectly but when I plug it into the UpStar I get pretty much nothing.

Does your monitor have more than one input?  If so, try pushing the input button and cycling through them until you get the HDMI.  That might be the problem.  Other than that, you might have to modify the configuration file to select one of the resolutions I highlighted above.

Or you could try a completely different approach, like I did. Skip the direct connect and use TELNET to get into it.

Connect the RPi on the Ethernet cable (this way you don't have to worry about SSID, and WPA/WEP passwords), find the address it got (for this I use a program called Network Scanner), then connect to it from your main computer using using Putty.

The default login & Password are pi / raspberry.

Once you're here you can make all the changes you need to your config, your wireless configuration so yo ucan input the SSID and password, etc.

Hope this helps

@Pirvan,  I really don't want to make this a debate since that doesn't help KennyB,  but my entire sentence read "By definition laptops and tablets will use resolutions that are not "standard" and often have OS drivers to attempt to adjust for this."  The key being an OS driver is needed as opposed to being supported by the built-in OS (Windows or Linux) defaults.  I have an Acer laptop that runs at 1366x768 @ 60Hz and even with its special drivers that resolution confuses many apps. so I had to patch it to use 1360x768 which is a standard, common, traditional, normal, etc. resolution.

If you read KennyB's first entry in this thread you will see he already did the correct steps to eliminate the RPi; the HDMI cable; and the connections; which is why I and others have focused on the monitor as the "problem".

And if you read the article in the link I sent what you show is a listing of the values to use if the monitor display is distorted.  Again, read through this thread and editing the "config.txt" values for one of these values was suggested.

Lastly, my aspect ratio notation had to do with my suggested monitor that supports multiple AR values in its Menu settings so that Raspbian doesn't have to be modified to get the best possible text rendering.

Anyway back on topic, it appears to me at this point KennyB is asking about exchanging the monitor for another model so he doesn't have to edit Raspbian files.  Personally I agree that exchanging the UpStar for a different monitor at this point is the best solution.

John

17 (edited by pirvan 2015-06-09 18:27:33)

8-Bits wrote:

The key being an OS driver is needed as opposed to being supported by the built-in OS (Windows or Linux) defaults.  I have an Acer laptop that runs at 1366x768 @ 60Hz and even with its special drivers that resolution confuses many apps. so I had to patch it to use 1360x768 which is a standard, common, traditional, normal, etc. resolution.

You must be a Linux user if you had to "patch" the driver to use that resolution.

I work in the computer manufacturing business, but we're Windows centric.  I've had more devices that use 1366x768 resolution than you can shake a stick at, monitors, tablets, laptops, and never had to patch anything. 

Granted that that the driver needs to be installed to get full access to the display adapter capabilities, but more often than not, even with the "in-box" drivers, that resolution is supported.  It really depends on what E-DDC/EDID information the monitor firmware passes to the OS.

Some monitors are not recognized automatically, and the OS simply chooses a default resolution, other times, they pass the information correctly, and expose their capabilities to the OS, so the in-box generic driver works fine.

In this particular case, this monitor doesn't have properly written firmware  EDID, because it doesn't expose its capabilities, or the RPi doesn't know how to read that information, and relies on manual editing of the configuration file.

IN this particular case, it appears that replacing the monitor is an option, so yes, I agree that's probably the best solution, but that may not always be the case.

Edit:
Technically, it's not the OS that addresses the display, it's the display adapter (video card), that's why you need a driver.  Windows either understands the video card and installs the built in (in-box) drivers, or treats it as a VESA standard display adapter.  through the VESA interface it tries to probe the display device and get information as to its capabilities, but the information coming through the VESA interface, is not always complete.  That's why a proper driver is required.  Once the driver is installed, it can probe the display device and extract additional information regarding it capabilities.  At least this is how it works in Windows.  Obviously that's not how it always works in the Linux world

I posted the following on another thread I have on SoliForm regarding connecting my laptop to my Atlas 3D. I sort of feeds into what we've been talking about here, hence the post.

UPDATE: I finally configured my WiFi and have an IP Address of 10.0.0.26 for my RPi.

I'm trying to connect to it with my Windows 8.1 Laptop through the Ethernet.

I connected the cable and ran "ZenMap". This is what I got:

Starting Nmap 6.49BETA1 ( http://nmap.org ) at 2015-06-10 08:32 Pacific Daylight Time

NSE: Loaded 122 scripts for scanning.

NSE: Script Pre-scanning.

Initiating NSE at 08:32

Completed NSE at 08:32, 0.00s elapsed

Initiating ARP Ping Scan at 08:32

Scanning 10.0.0.26 [1 port]

Completed ARP Ping Scan at 08:32, 0.92s elapsed (1 total hosts)

Nmap scan report for 10.0.0.26 [host down]

NSE: Script Post-scanning.

Read data files from: C:\Program Files (x86)\Nmap

Note: Host seems down. If it is really up, but blocking our ping probes, try -Pn

Nmap done: 1 IP address (0 hosts up) scanned in 6.24 seconds

Raw packets sent: 2 (56B) | Rcvd: 0 (0B)

I ran Windows Network Diagnostics and it said; "Ethernet" doesn't have a valid IP Configuration. What am I doing wrong that my laptop does not recognize my RPi?

Did you connect your RPi to the laptop directly, or through a Ethernet hub/switch?

If you connect direct, you will need a cross over cable.  Connecting with a standard Ethernet patch cable will result in a lopback.

"Ethernet" doesn't have a valid IP Configuration.

This sounds like a problem with the network configuration on your Windows laptop.  Are you able to access the Internet from this machine?

pirvan,

I connected an Ethernet cable between the RPi and my laptop.

hairu526,

Yes I access the internet wirelessly with this laptop and it works great!

KennyB wrote:

pirvan,

I connected an Ethernet cable between the RPi and my laptop.

hairu526,

Yes I access the internet wirelessly with this laptop and it works great!

You can't use just an ordinary network cable. Now if you have a router you could use that cable and connect the Pi to your router then access it over your network. But to do a direct connection from your laptop to the Pi you need what is called a crossover cable. Two of the 6 sets of pins on one end are actually swapped from a standard cable.

carl_m1968 wrote:

You can't use just an ordinary network cable. Now if you have a router you could use that cable and connect the Pi to your router then access it over your network. But to do a direct connection from your laptop to the Pi you need what is called a crossover cable. Two of the 6 sets of pins on one end are actually swapped from a standard cable.

That's exactly what I said in my earlier post.  If you don't have a network hub, and plan to use a direct connection to the laptop, then a cross over cable is required.

I would post here the schematic of such a cable, but I think in this case, it may be a bit too complicated.  The OP (Kenny)would probably be better served by going to a store and buying one.

On the other hand, Kenny, I don't know your home network setup, but you might want to look at your cable/dsl modem or router.  Does it have any ethernet ports on the back.  If it does, you're in luck.  Plug both your RPi and your laptop in the hub, and they should work.

if the pi is connected via wifi to your router, disconnect the ethernet cable and connect to your router over wifi with the computer, then try going to the raspberry's ip address.

SUCCESS!!!

I was finally able to access the RPi wifi with my laptop, I'm golden.

Well almost. A wire broke inside one of the lasers and it cannot be fixed. Any idea where I can get a replacement one?

Thanks to everyone for your help and support. It was a long and interesting journey that couldn't have been accomplished without your collective help!

KennyB