Topic: Upgrading the Atlas 3D to Pi2

So, I backed the kit before at the tier which includes all the electronics, including the Pi, since the Pi2 was still selling for quite a bit over MSRP and I didn't think I would be able to get a decent price for one in time. But Micro Center is selling them now for $30 so I picked one up for my Atlas when the electronics arrive, I am just going to put the Pi2 in it instead of the B+ the kit will come with.

From what I understand, this kit will also come with a SD card already pre-loaded with the software needed. Will I need to make any changes to the software in order to make it take advantage of the Pi2's larger memory and processing power over the B+?

Re: Upgrading the Atlas 3D to Pi2

No change is necessary.  The same SD card will run on both the Pi B+ and the Pi 2, but will run faster on the Pi 2.

Will the scanning speed improve, or is the better Pi performance lost as far as scanning is concerned.

To print or, 3D print, that is the question...
SD3 printer w/too many mods,  Printrbot Simple Maker Ed.,  FormLabs Form 1+
AnyCubic Photon, Shining 3D EinScan-S & Atlas 3D scanners...
...and too much time on my hands.

As of FreeLSS 1.6, the bottleneck has moved from image acquisition to image processing.  As a result, I would expect the difference in performance between the B+ and Pi 2 to be more substantial as of FreeLSS 1.6 and later.  Also, this leaves the door open to threading the image processing routines and taking advantage of the Pi 2's additional cores.  However, work has not begun in this area.

question; where is best place to buy the pi2 if I want to order this scanner without the PI? and do I also need the camera for the PI?

as I intend to buy a scanner and wanted to get a jump on things while I have some cash

Solidoodle 2 with Deluxe kit cover & glass bed with heater. and 2nd board SD2 used not 3rd and alum platform not installed yet still wood. also need cooling fan installed to board. use Repetier Host couple vers. Slic3r also have all free ware STL programs

n2ri wrote:

question; where is best place to buy the pi2 if I want to order this scanner without the PI? and do I also need the camera for the PI?

as I intend to buy a scanner and wanted to get a jump on things while I have some cash

Do you live in the US? If so Micro Center has them for $30, that's $5 below MSRP, but that's in-store only.

Most other online stores tend to charge about $5-10 ABOVE MSRP... or sell it for MSRP but have pricy shipping.... at least for the US.

Cyber Akuma wrote:
n2ri wrote:

Do you live in the US? If so Micro Center has them for $30, that's $5 below MSRP, but that's in-store only.

Most other online stores tend to charge about $5-10 ABOVE MSRP... or sell it for MSRP but have pricy shipping.... at least for the US.

yes I saw their recent email sale but the base PI2 was much more than that and so was the camera addon. thats why I asked

Solidoodle 2 with Deluxe kit cover & glass bed with heater. and 2nd board SD2 used not 3rd and alum platform not installed yet still wood. also need cooling fan installed to board. use Repetier Host couple vers. Slic3r also have all free ware STL programs

8 (edited by Cyber Akuma 2015-06-18 22:43:35)

n2ri wrote:

I saw their recent email sale but the base PI2 was much more than that and so was the camera addon. thats why I asked

Huh? Are you sure you looked at the right one? They are the ones being supplied to them by Element14, and are still listed as $30.

http://www.microcenter.com/product/4437 … _2_model_b