Topic: UK Newbie!

Hi guys, and hello from the UK! I'm very new to this 3D printing stuff but I'm very excited about it. It's the future!!

I haven't got a printer as yet but I'm leaning heavily towards a Solidoodle 3 but the lead time is extreme. Hopefully they work 'out of the box' fairly well? If anyone has an opinion, I'd be very interested in it smile

Oh, and if there's anyone on here from the UK it would also be great to hear from you.

Speak soon.

Ross.

Re: UK Newbie!

3ddude wrote:

Hi guys, and hello from the UK! I'm very new to this 3D printing stuff but I'm very excited about it. It's the future!!

I haven't got a printer as yet but I'm leaning heavily towards a Solidoodle 3 but the lead time is extreme. Hopefully they work 'out of the box' fairly well? If anyone has an opinion, I'd be very interested in it smile

Oh, and if there's anyone on here from the UK it would also be great to hear from you.

Speak soon.

Ross.

I was doing the same as you.  Checking out all e different options.  Most have the same lead times, unless you build it yourself or pay lots of money.

I selected the Solidoodle 3 myself based on price and feedback.  All 3d printers have their problems and if you are very good with tools and experimenting then you could make your own.  I wanted my 1st one to work somewhat out of the box, fine tuning and stuff will have to be done with any of the machines, but some actually take away features in software.  Check out YouTube for 3d printers, there are some good videos that helped me decide.  Bed, extruder, and other calibrations should be done no matter which one you purchase.

I would suggest at least getting the software, Repetier and do some tests to see if it will get the quality you want, it does a pretty good job of showing you what it would look like printed.  I have been playing with that software since I bought mine (just waiting for it to show sometime in March) trying to figure out how it works and tricks so when the printer shows up, software will be figured out.

lotw_1 wrote:
3ddude wrote:

Speak soon.

Ross.

I was doing the same as you.  Checking out all e different options.  Most have the same lead times, unless you build it yourself or pay lots of money.

I selected the Solidoodle 3 myself based on price and feedback.  All 3d printers have their problems and if you are very good with tools and experimenting then you could make your own.  I wanted my 1st one to work somewhat out of the box, fine tuning and stuff will have to be done with any of the machines, but some actually take away features in software.  Check out YouTube for 3d printers, there are some good videos that helped me decide.  Bed, extruder, and other calibrations should be done no matter which one you purchase.

I would suggest at least getting the software, Repetier and do some tests to see if it will get the quality you want, it does a pretty good job of showing you what it would look like printed.  I have been playing with that software since I bought mine (just waiting for it to show sometime in March) trying to figure out how it works and tricks so when the printer shows up, software will be figured out.

Nice to meet a new Solidoodle user!

Former Solidoodle employee, no longer associated with the company.

Hey from another UK solidoodler! Hope it comes soon. Mine took 5 months since I ordered it lol. But once you get a notice from usps you will shout with joy!
Helen