Topic: ink is caking on nozzle instead of laying on print bed

Hi everyone, I have a solidoodle 3d printer SD-3DWP that I can't wait to get working. I tried calling the team at solidoodle but they must be very busy since I haven't heard anything from them since Monday.

I have gotten really far in the setup, the printer auto-levels itself, moves in the right pattern given the piece I loaded and is configured according to the support instructions and it was looked over by a guy at solidoodle.

The problem is though, I'm sure everything is working but the only thing is that the plastic filament is not staying on the print bed, and instead is building up on the nozzle.

I cleaned the nozzle, made sure the temperature is at max (200C on print bed and 100C on nozzle), and everything seems fine. The print bed is clean but is there anything I need to do to make sure the plastic stick on the print bed?

Thanks for any help
Phil

Re: ink is caking on nozzle instead of laying on print bed

padib wrote:

Hi everyone, I have a solidoodle 3d printer SD-3DWP that I can't wait to get working. I tried calling the team at solidoodle but they must be very busy since I haven't heard anything from them since Monday.

I have gotten really far in the setup, the printer auto-levels itself, moves in the right pattern given the piece I loaded and is configured according to the support instructions and it was looked over by a guy at solidoodle.

The problem is though, I'm sure everything is working but the only thing is that the plastic filament is not staying on the print bed, and instead is building up on the nozzle.

I cleaned the nozzle, made sure the temperature is at max (200C on print bed and 100C on nozzle), and everything seems fine. The print bed is clean but is there anything I need to do to make sure the plastic stick on the print bed?

Thanks for any help
Phil

I really hope that is a typo. the bed should be 100c and the nozzle should be 200 to 230c. Also the bed should actually be 90. Now the most common problem that keeps the filament from sticking is that your nozzle is not close enough to the bed. There should be about a .10mm gap between the nozzle and bed. No greater than .20mm. You need to adjust your Z offset so the bed is closer. Also what are you using to aid adhesion? ABS will not stick to bare glass. You need to use glue sticks, ABS juice, or hair spray.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

carl_m1968 wrote:

I really hope that is a typo. the bed should be 100c and the nozzle should be 200 to 230c. Also the bed should actually be 90. Now the most common problem that keeps the filament from sticking is that your nozzle is not close enough to the bed. There should be about a .10mm gap between the nozzle and bed. No greater than .20mm. You need to adjust your Z offset so the bed is closer. Also what are you using to aid adhesion? ABS will not stick to bare glass. You need to use glue sticks, ABS juice, or hair spray.

Yeah it was a typo, I meant to reverse the two. If it's 90 for the bed is it normal that the support tech set it to 105?

As for the gap, I can fit a piece of cardcover paper, but it's a snug fit. Definitely smaller than 2mm.
I'll try glue and lowering the temp to 90c, those seem like great suggestions. I'll post an update when I try it on Monday.

crank up the heat my friend... nothing makes this crap stick if you don't have enough heat.

padib wrote:

As for the gap, I can fit a piece of cardcover paper, but it's a snug fit. Definitely smaller than 2mm.

I hope that is also a typo...your gap should be 0.1-0.15mm (about the thickness of a Post-it note...much higher than that will give you issues no matter how much glue stick you have...

SD2 - Stock - Enclosure - Heated Bed - Glass Plate - Auto Fire Extinguisher
Ord Bot Hadron - RAMPS 1.4 - Bulldog XL - E3D v6 - 10" x 10" PCB Heated Build w/SSR - Glass Plate
Thanks for All of Your Help!

6 (edited by padib 2015-06-09 21:17:17)

IronMan wrote:
padib wrote:

I hope that is also a typo...your gap should be 0.1-0.15mm (about the thickness of a Post-it note...much higher than that will give you issues no matter how much glue stick you have...

It wasn't a typo, goes to show how new I am to this. smile I just measured the gap and one thin wallet card fits at about 0.4mm. Is there a way I can adjust the Z gap after auto-leveling to 0.15? Here is the code I used for the auto-leveling:

G21 ; set units to millimeters
M107
G28 X0 Y0 ; home X and Y
G29 ; probe bed
G90 ; set absolute coordinates
G92 E0 ; reset extruder distance
G1 Z5 F300 ; move platform down 5mm
G1 X145 Y145 F3000 ; move to back right corner

As for glue, I bought two big glue stick and started using one. The liquid part just evaporates and I'm left with a dry white film, nothing sticks to it.

Ghostling wrote:

crank up the heat my friend... nothing makes this crap stick if you don't have enough heat.

I set the extruder to 230C and the printbed to 90. Should I head up the print-bed more?

Thanks guys

You may want to try this:

http://support.solidoodle.com/hc/en-us/ … alibration

Ord Bot Hadron - RAMPS 1.4 - Bulldog XL - E3D v6 - 10" x 10" PCB Heated Build w/SSR - Glass Plate

Click on IronMan's link. You definitely need to fix the z-offset. That's what is causing your problem.

9 (edited by padib 2015-07-20 15:27:36)

Hi guys, here is the story.

About a month ago (June 10th) I called Solidoodle to tell them about the z-calibration video I was pointed to here (by IronMan). Over the course of the call they explained to me that the software in the video isn't supported by my model. Fortunately they showed me an alternative way to z-calibrate.

The only problem was, my printer didn't ship with a glass plate and I had been trying to print on the metal plate of the print bed all along. The support representative told me that with the glass surface it will stick and the glue will work. I can't remember what caused me to realize that something was missing, but during the phone call I had an itch, something wasn't right.

He promised to ship it to me but they are having issues with their shipping company. It's been over a month that I'm waiting and I still don't have the promised tracking number.

At this point I'm growing increasingly skeptical this will even work, but I am going to try to produce a 12x12 glass plate to at least hope to produce a piece. I don't know if there is any specific type of glass that I need other than it needing to withstand 110 degrees C.

What do you guys think?

Update: I just ordered a 4mm tempered plate for 25 dollars and it'll be ready to test on Thursday.

I think this will solve your issue!

4mm will be appropriate for such a large build area...it is a bit thicker than what most of us use, just make sure you give it some extra "soak time" (maybe about 5 minutes) after your bed temp reaches its target before you start the print.

Good luck and keep us posted!

IronMan wrote:

I think this will solve your issue!

4mm will be appropriate for such a large build area...it is a bit thicker than what most of us use, just make sure you give it some extra "soak time" (maybe about 5 minutes) after your bed temp reaches its target before you start the print.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Thanks! Will do.

Latest update about the glue. I found that the glue just becomes a dry white layer after the print bed heats up. I'm going to follow this video and make some ABS Juice. When it's ready I'll apply it with a clean cloth and hope that it works.

I'll post back in a few days.

You may also consider Aquanet hairspray...works great!

The glue drying is normal. You put glue on a plate that hot and it dries almost instantly. It will still work to help your print stick to it. (Some people say you want the glue to be dry so it does not create imperfections in your print) In fact, it will frequently work for several prints before you have to reapply. Nothing wrong with going to ABS slurry, but don't drop the glue just because it dried. Glue also works on PLA where slurry will not.

Solidoodle 4-Mostly stock running off headless Raspberry Pi with Octoprint

14 (edited by padib 2015-08-12 19:50:19)

Thanks for the advice on glue guys, I think it's working!

The only thing is, when the calibration happens, now for some reason, when the head backs up to do calibration points 5 to 8 (2nd row), there is a noise as it back up and it doesn't go as far back as it should. So the print job starts off the plate because the lower end is calculated too far forward.

How can I stop that noise from happening?

Edit: I got the noise to stop by playing with the Y coordinates and manually playing with the position of the print head.

Now the problem I'm facing is that just one quadrant of the print bed is not seeing the plastic stick to the bed, though I applied a lot of glue.

Edit 2: The piece was going nicely when there was a friction sound 0.5h into the job, and the thing started printing too far. I'm not sure how to fix this friction issue.

Edit 3: Sometimes during print the plastic flakes up as it dries up and the nozzle gets stuck on it and pushes it off the bed. Also, during calibration, the z-sensor scratches the dried glue and lifts it off the bed.

http://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/h422/philly_yeah/Freelance/Alfa%20Mega/20150810_144948_zpsopdqsjzg.jpeg

As far as the friction issue, you can first try a belt and pulley adjustment:

https://vimeo.com/55031028

While belt tension may not be the direct cause of the friction, going through the above procedure may point you to where and why the friction is occurring.  Also make sure the guide rods are lubed with a nice thin coating of lithium grease.

As far as ABS not sticking to one quadrant of the bed, it seems that the Solitouch procedure is not working too well.  You may want to try manually leveling the bed.

16 (edited by padib 2015-08-14 19:06:55)

IronMan wrote:

As far as the friction issue, you can first try a belt and pulley adjustment:

https://vimeo.com/55031028

While belt tension may not be the direct cause of the friction, going through the above procedure may point you to where and why the friction is occurring.  Also make sure the guide rods are lubed with a nice thin coating of lithium grease.

As far as ABS not sticking to one quadrant of the bed, it seems that the Solitouch procedure is not working too well.  You may want to try manually leveling the bed.

I got help from my guy at solidoodle, and over the phone he heard a noise while the z axis was moving and thinks that's what's causing an inaccurate automatic z-probing. I'll fix the noise issue there and see if that fixes it. He mentioned that the plastic might be flaking off the bed because the head is either a tad too high or too low in certain areas of the print.

As for the y-axis, I added a bit of grease and it sounds better. I guess I need to grease more often than I thought.

Also, I'm going to try using his recommended adhesive:
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61m1t4ptfwL._SY355_.jpg

I'll update you with how that goes sometime next week.

Great!  Good luck with it and glad to hear you're getting some response and help from SD!!

Aqua net, glad to see SD has been paying attention roll

Printit Industries Model 8.10 fully enclosed CoreXY, Chamber heat
3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL
Thanks to all for your contributions

wardjr wrote:

Aqua net, glad to see SD has been paying attention roll

LOL

SD2 - Glass Bed, Fans on PCB and Y motor, Custom enclosure
Slicer - Simplify3D

20 (edited by padib 2016-03-02 21:20:24)

I just wanted to post the pictures of the piece we were finally able to print.

http://soliforum.com/i/?37INb4l.jpg

The issue was leveling. We were finally able to use the screws with the springs below the bed to set the bed and the nozzle level to each other.

I also ran into an issue when my yellow ink ran out, I wasn't able to feed the new ink in. But somehow, when I pushed the green ink in enough, when I ejected the green ink to troubleshoot, the yellow piece that was stuck inside popped out, and I was able to use the tweezers to feed it out.

And I was able to set up repetier and the drivers on a new computer, after the one I was previously using for 3D printing was taken for another purpose.

Lastly I found the aquanet on amazon and had it shipped to me, it worked like a charm. No glue sticks needed, no acetone. Just Aquanet. It works.

Anyway, I'm just glad I finally was able to achieve this piece.

And thanks everyone for your invaluable help.

looking good