Topic: cartridge heater rating

I am planning to buy a heater cartridge to use on a 15v DC supply (say),
What would happen if I connect
(1) a 12V 40W cartridge
(2) 24V 40W cartridge

Am trying to understand this technically. Will the heater blow up (in case 1) or underperform (in case 2) ?

Re: cartridge heater rating

Is this related to your Filastruder work?

It depends on what the heater is rated for. The Filastruder's heater is OK up to 18vdc.

If the heater is rated for 12vdc and you connect it to 15vdc, it may fail.

If the heater is rated for 24vdc and you connect it to 15vdc, it will not reach its specified power output.

Test the voltage of the PS. Just because it says 15 volts they can vary up or down. Could easily be 13 or 18. . I have seen 12v supplies put out between 9 and 15. also some can be adjusted up or down.
Tin

Soliddoodle 4 stock w glass bed------Folger Tech Prusa 2020 upgraded to and titan /aero extruder mirror bed
FT5 with titan/ E3D Aero------MP mini select w glass bed
MP Utimate maker pro-W bondtech extruder
Marlin/Repetier Host/ Slic3r and Cura

elmoret wrote:

It depends on what the heater is rated for. The Filastruder's heater is OK up to 18vdc.

Yes it is. I am aware that the band heater is good for 18v, I am trying to replace it with heater cartridge, for easy plugging in and removal.

Tin Falcon wrote:

Test the voltage of the PS. Just because it says 15 volts they can vary up or down. Could easily be 13 or 18. . I have seen 12v supplies put out between 9 and 15. also some can be adjusted up or down.
Tin

Thanks for the ehads up, I am planning to buy one of those universal adapters, that has the option to set the voltage bw 12 n 24v. I hope this would work.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00406ITIA

dineshwong wrote:
elmoret wrote:

Yes it is. I am aware that the band heater is good for 18v, I am trying to replace it with heater cartridge, for easy plugging in and removal.

This is a bad idea, you will get uneven heating (one side of the barrel will heat more than the other). It is a band heater for a reason. Also, there's no reason to remove it.

You are right, Thanks.

I tend to change the nozzles quite often, for different filament sizes. thats the main reason

I swap nozzles without touching or removing the band heater.