Topic: New Atlas 3D and I'm Stuck With Connecting To It

I just finished build my Atlas 3D and I've spent the entire day trying to connect to it. I've tried it with and ethernet cable and wireless. What I seem to be stuck on is getting the IP for the RPi. I've downloaded and tried several different programs and I've tried different things on the forums.

Does anyone have some very simple instructions to connect to my RPi with either ethernet or wireless.

I'm a nub and don't have a very good understanding of networking or many of the acronyms that get thrown around. I'm hoping for something simple and in plain English.

Thank you very much,

KennyB

Re: New Atlas 3D and I'm Stuck With Connecting To It

KennyB, if you are connecting via Ethernet, make sure that you unplug the wifi adapter until you enter the information to set it up.  I have noticed that this can cause the Raspberry Pi to not pull an IP on Ethernet.

Hi Hairu526   ,  Any word on the update to solve slow down from last update ? You said it would be out last week.

SD3, RAMPS 1.4, Lawsy's carriages modified by me, 2 SSRs, E3D V6, 2 Power supplies, Independent monitoring of both power supplies (amps and volts) also extruder and bed temps, Blue Tooth connectivity, bearings in all axis & rotational points, Y axis direct drive.  Remotely controlled power box on / off . Gecko Tec build plate . Renamed FrankenDoodle

4 (edited by Skylinc 2015-06-04 03:22:19)

slimstar2 wrote:

Hi Hairu526   ,  Any word on the update to solve slow down from last update ? You said it would be out last week.

That is off topic. You can start a new topic by clicking on the "Post new topic" button on the main page (http://www.soliforum.com/forum/29/atlas-3d-freelss/), or you can reply to the thread that already discusses the speed issue, here: http://www.soliforum.com/topic/10487/tr … intenance/.

Skylinc wrote:
slimstar2 wrote:

That is off topic. You can start a new topic by clicking on the "Post new topic" button on the main page (http://www.soliforum.com/forum/29/atlas-3d-freelss/), or you can reply to the thread that already discusses the speed issue, here: http://www.soliforum.com/topic/10487/tr … intenance/.

Oh, and have a look at this post from 4 hours before your post: http://www.soliforum.com/post/97869/#p97869

you can always attach a keyboard, mouse, and hdmi screen to your pi and access it locally. from the command line, run startx and login with l:pi p:raspberry

then you can configure the wifi dongle from the gui app "wifi config" , and simply restart your pi to completely exit the gui (you can run the scanner with the gui up, but it will slow things down quite a bit.)

Frozen wrote:

you can always attach a keyboard, mouse, and hdmi screen to your pi and access it locally. from the command line, run startx and login with l:pi p:raspberry

then you can configure the wifi dongle from the gui app "wifi config" , and simply restart your pi to completely exit the gui (you can run the scanner with the gui up, but it will slow things down quite a bit.)

I connected my TV via HDMI and I get nothing. I turned the RPi off and on but nada. Any suggestions?

hairu526 wrote:

KennyB, if you are connecting via Ethernet, make sure that you unplug the wifi adapter until you enter the information to set it up.  I have noticed that this can cause the Raspberry Pi to not pull an IP on Ethernet.

I tried it without the WiFi dongle and it still does not work.

I'm accessing this from an old Windows XP laptop but I also tired it with a new Windows 8.1 laptop. Neither worked.

When I plug in the Ethernet I get a yellow and green LED at the connector. The green LED blinks off and on which means there is some sort of communication going on.

I also get a notification box that says: "Local Area Connection- This connection has limited or no connectivity. This problem occurred because the network did not assign a network address to the computer.

When I click on "Details" it shows my computers IP address and the DNS servers.

Also I've been using Nmap to scan  for the RPi IP address and it does not show up.

No joy yet :-(

KennyB wrote:
Frozen wrote:

I connected my TV via HDMI and I get nothing. I turned the RPi off and on but nada. Any suggestions?

Is the sd card plugged all the way in?

Frozen wrote:
KennyB wrote:
Frozen wrote:

Is the sd card plugged all the way in?

Yes it is. I've plugged and unplugged it several times. I even plugged it into my desktop and checked to make sure there were file on it.

The HDMI cable needs to be plugged in before the Raspberry Pi is powered on -- the Raspberry Pi won't always detect hot plugging HDMI.  Also, try using a different HDMI cable and make sure that the cable is being plugged all the way into the port.  You can also try removing the Pi from the printed case and plug the HDMI cable directly into it.

hairu526 wrote:

The HDMI cable needs to be plugged in before the Raspberry Pi is powered on -- the Raspberry Pi won't always detect hot plugging HDMI.  Also, try using a different HDMI cable and make sure that the cable is being plugged all the way into the port.  You can also try removing the Pi from the printed case and plug the HDMI cable directly into it.

Thanks for the tip.

I actually had two problems, not only did I not plug in the HDMI cable before turning the scanner on but the cable would not seat properly until I modified it.

I'm gaining on it, now I'm looking for Atlas 3D Login word.

OK, I'm logged in and trying to find the IP address.

I entered "ifconfig" and under "wlan0" there is no IP address as mentioned in the "Atlas 3D: Getting Started" instructions.

Any suggestions on what I do now to find the IP. I need it to connect through the USB dongle.

KennyB wrote:

OK, I'm logged in and trying to find the IP address.

I entered "ifconfig" and under "wlan0" there is no IP address as mentioned in the "Atlas 3D: Getting Started" instructions.

Any suggestions on what I do now to find the IP. I need it to connect through the USB dongle.

I keep answering my own questions.

I had the USB dongle plugged in when I checked for the IP. Once I unplugged it I was golden.

Thanks for all the help, I'm sure I'll be back.

KennyB

I'm glad to hear you're in.

hairu526 wrote:

I'm glad to hear you're in.

Not so fast hairu526, I'm in enough to get the IP but when I enter it in Chrome I get "Page Not Found".

I've tried both with Ethernet cable connected and the wireless dongle installed (not at the same time).

When I plug in the Ethernet cable I get an indication on my computer that it's active as well as a yellow LED and blinking green LED on the RPi board.

When I check the network connection it says "Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller".

I doing this on a Windows 8.1 laptop. I have to be missing something.

Any help would really be appreciated. Oh and please remember I'm a newb to RPi and not to deep into acronyms.

Thanks,

KennyB

KennyB, is the camera's light on?  Is the IP address for your computer the same as the address for the Pi except for the last section?  For example, 192.168.0.xxx where the "xxx" would differ.

hairu526 wrote:

KennyB, is the camera's light on?  Is the IP address for your computer the same as the address for the Pi except for the last section?  For example, 192.168.0.xxx where the "xxx" would differ.

The camera light is on.

The IP addresses are different. I have two different laptops I'm trying, one is 10.0.0.13 and the other is 10.0.0.16. The RPi is 127.0.0.1.

127.0.0.1 is localhost. That's not the right IP, you're probably looking at the wrong thing on the RPi.

elmoret wrote:

127.0.0.1 is localhost. That's not the right IP, you're probably looking at the wrong thing on the RPi.

I entered "ifconfig" and next to "wlan0" was 127.0.0.1.

Type startx at the command line to enter the graphical user interface.  There you can use the WLAN config tool on the desktop to setup Wifi access.

KennyB wrote:
elmoret wrote:

I entered "ifconfig" and next to "wlan0" was 127.0.0.1.

If you haven't configured your wifi (SSID/password) on the RPi, then an IP address won't be assigned.

UPDATE: I finally configured my WiFi and have an IP Address of 10.0.0.26 for my RPi.

I'm trying to connect to it with my Windows 8.1 Laptop through the Ethernet.

I connected the cable and ran "ZenMap". This is what I got:

Starting Nmap 6.49BETA1 ( http://nmap.org ) at 2015-06-10 08:32 Pacific Daylight Time

NSE: Loaded 122 scripts for scanning.

NSE: Script Pre-scanning.

Initiating NSE at 08:32

Completed NSE at 08:32, 0.00s elapsed

Initiating ARP Ping Scan at 08:32

Scanning 10.0.0.26 [1 port]

Completed ARP Ping Scan at 08:32, 0.92s elapsed (1 total hosts)

Nmap scan report for 10.0.0.26 [host down]

NSE: Script Post-scanning.

Read data files from: C:\Program Files (x86)\Nmap

Note: Host seems down. If it is really up, but blocking our ping probes, try -Pn

Nmap done: 1 IP address (0 hosts up) scanned in 6.24 seconds

Raw packets sent: 2 (56B) | Rcvd: 0 (0B)

I ran Windows Network Diagnostics and it said; "Ethernet" doesn't have a valid IP Configuration. What am I doing wrong that my laptop does not recognize my RPi?

SUCCESS!!!

I was finally able to access the RPi wifi with my laptop, I'm golden.

Well almost. A wire broke inside one of the lasers and it cannot be fixed. Any idea where I can get a replacement one?

Thanks to everyone for your help and support. It was a long and interesting journey that couldn't have been accomplished without your collective help!

KennyB