Re: kisslicer blows for SD2

jagowilson wrote:
ysb wrote:

first as the other said : stop using completely outdated buggy version of RH (0.95 ? really ? when the 1.5.6 is out ?)

still using V0.95F myself wink

its the last version that lets you control and decide what is done and used with it. sorry if I dont like being forced to accept what my "tools" will do and be happy. I just find a "tool" that I can use that wont use me. same for newer Windows OS. thats for people that still use AOL for their email.

if newer really was better in all things then maybe yeah but I find more and more thats the opposite of reality. for at least 30 years now.

Solidoodle 2 with Deluxe kit cover & glass bed with heater. and 2nd board SD2 used not 3rd and alum platform not installed yet still wood. also need cooling fan installed to board. use Repetier Host couple vers. Slic3r also have all free ware STL programs

i can understand that... but can you point me on something that you can do with the 0.95f, and can't with the last version ?

apart the UI that changed , i didn't see something that stop me now, and that i can do before...

1st all versions after 95f you MUST uninstall/remove all previous versions for it to install and run correctly says instructions. I can open version 86 and 95f at same time and do everything but print on same printer at same time which makes sense obviously.
also slicing more than 1 thing at a time would likely end poorly ;^) since it uses same background apps and memory.
I will likely install newest version on one OS partition on my newer laptop maybe even on 64bit if possible but my current peripherals have no need nor are many compatible with that.
also you have little control of settings on the new versions they eliminate many such details for faster slicing/printing of lower quality prints for the Widget crowd that just wants to knock out some fast cheap craft sale items. I am not into that. quite the oposite in fact. I prefer the SLA powder/liquid ultra fine detail zero support needed for perfect models needing little post print cleanup b4 sale at high end pricing with injection or cast molding quality and extreme fine details for micro scale modeling. the newer versions offer no help here.

Solidoodle 2 with Deluxe kit cover & glass bed with heater. and 2nd board SD2 used not 3rd and alum platform not installed yet still wood. also need cooling fan installed to board. use Repetier Host couple vers. Slic3r also have all free ware STL programs

also even version 95f started adding things like pre check with partial netfab etc for errors soon as stl is loaded. I prefer doing such checks separate b4 loading for slicing with more complete versions of such programs, then rescale and check again then see if it slices good enough which often it still wont if downloaded from a 3d file site since like 98% have bad errors in files needing complete redesign often. also some need wall thickness etc tweaked to even see a wall when sliced. many look like swiss cheese plus lots of red parts in netfab that are not just inverted. have no clue whats wrong with those but if sliced the red parts are missing. just putting those file in a "later" folder in case a fix is found years from now lol

I like being able to just load a file and inspect it b4 and after slicing (if it finishes slicing). not argue with a half baked precheck tool that never gets it ready to let me look at even.

then it slices an un-printable gcode that is mostly off the build plate even though it was centered while slicing. LOL dont need that at all hence title of this thread

ok.. i never use the auto-repair function as i always do my repair myself or in full free netffab..  but if you open many instance of RH, i can understand the problem...

but for the fine tuning of gcode, i don't see where is your problem as RH as nothing to do with that. the gcode come from slic3r (or Cura) for the important part...  (only start/end CAN be changed by RH... and only if you want...)

if you get red part in netfab, it's a problem in your model (some are very tedious to find..) ... it can be a lot of thing apart inversed normal...

I have no idea where you are getting the idea that RH does all this stuff "for" you? That has not been my experience at all. It does what I ask it to do, and ONLY what I ask it to do... Have you even looked at the newer versions?

Here are a few screenshots of RH V1.0.6, and Slic3r v1.1.7 (yes, there are newer versions than this, just haven't gotten around to updating)

Main RH screen, when you first open it... it opens on the object placement tab for loading your models... (note: I use the "advanced" mode, not "easy" - maybe that is where your problem was with it - if you even tried it?)

http://soliforum.com/i/?jTR3QV6.jpg

Take a good look at the tools and tabs available...

next up is the slicer tab - you do have a couple of options for which slicer you prefer by clicking on the manager button. I like Slic3r, it works for me, but Cura is included as well if you prefer that...

http://soliforum.com/i/?FUBqPm3.jpg

Click on the configuration button and you get this...

http://soliforum.com/i/?8SHZIFQ.jpg

LOADS of available options to tweak settings - everything from # of perimeters, top & bottom layers, and infill, to advanced settings like speeds, and extrusion widths....

Speed setting tab...

http://soliforum.com/i/?H3ZCxfc.jpg

Advanced tab...

http://soliforum.com/i/?kCFw9ea.jpg

Back to RH - loaded a model and sliced, now we have the preview tab....

http://soliforum.com/i/?PgL1eDh.jpg

Using the tools on the left you can zoom in, turn/rotate it and inspect to your heart's content.. (in the object placement tab, you can move parts around on the bed, scale, mirror, rotate on whichever axis you choose - say if something is standing up and you want to lay it down...you get the idea.)
You can view as a complete sliced model, or you can view individual layers. You can even view the travel moves the printer will make...

Click on the g-code tab, and gee... you can even edit the g-code! Every. Single. Line.

http://soliforum.com/i/?t9UXgMN.jpg

and finally, the manual control tab... manually move any axis, change temps for both extruder & hot bed, alter feed & flow rates, part fan on/off & speed....

http://soliforum.com/i/?P57gcMa.jpg

There is a lot more I could take screen shots of but I think this should do for now... Is there anything missing in here that you can do with v0.95? My guess is no...

Not trying to convince you to use it. Use whatever you like. But don't go making blanket statements about something if you have never actually used it.

SD4 #1 & #2 - Lawsy carriages, E3D v6, Rumba controller board, mirror bed plate, X motor fan, upgraded PSU & Mica bed heater
SD4 #3 - in the works ~ Folgertech FT-5, rev 1
Printit Industries Beta Tester - Horizon H1

the OP was about Kisslicer and how it wont interface with RH correctly and wont work right for SD2 at all. and I have explained these issues in many posts. and no solution has been made nor is there any plans it seems for making it work this way. you can add it to the newer RH even 95f but its just for looks it seems since it dont truly interface at all or have settings for same

like they say you can put a tuxedo on a pig but its still a pig.

n2ri wrote:

like they say you can put a tuxedo on a pig but its still a pig.

David Cameron for one may have been confused about that for a while... tongue

sorry.

Keep experimenting n2 - looks like KS and new RH and slic3r all work pretty well for a lot of other people, maybe you need to experiment a bit more, be a bit more patient, and be willing to adjust your workflow a touch. This happens sometimes. Don't fear change. Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering. tongue

SD3. Mk2b + glass, heated enclosure, GT2 belts, direct drive y shaft, linear bearings, bowden-feed E3D v5 w/ 0.9° stepper
Smoothieboard via Octoprint on RPi

37 (edited by pirvan 2015-09-24 14:16:44)

I used to be a big fan of Kisslicer a while back, bu then in the later versions Jonathan tweaked the code to the point where your model had to be near perfect to get usable code.  Previous versions could slice models just fine, and the new version couldn't.

In fact I had a long and arduous "conversation" with some of forum groupies over there, which were basically insulating Jonathan from the rest of the world and preventing him from seeing the slippery slope he was on. 

Then Jonathan disappeared for personal reasons for about a year, the forum got spammed to the point it was shut down, although both Jonathan and a new forum came back eventually.  Lots of drama, but by then I had lost all interest in Kisslicer, and Slic3r had gotten better, then Cura came along, and frankly I haven't looked back.

As for RH, my only complaint with the new version is that it won't allow me to manually reposition a model vertically.  The earlier version let you enter numeric translation values for X Y and Z, the new version doesn't.   As such you loose the ability to ACCURATELY position a model (dragging it around is no substitute), and the ability to place a model above the print surface. 

That can be useful, for example, if you want to add a model that is supposed to sit on top of another.

For this reason I still keep the old version (.85b for me) for special function, but I use 1.0.2 for most of the work

To print or, 3D print, that is the question...
SD3 printer w/too many mods,  Printrbot Simple Maker Ed.,  FormLabs Form 1+
AnyCubic Photon, Shining 3D EinScan-S & Atlas 3D scanners...
...and too much time on my hands.

38 (edited by metaldrgn 2015-09-24 14:52:34)

pirvan wrote:

I used to be a big fan of Kisslicer a while back, bu then in the later versions Jonathan tweaked the code to the point where your model had to be near perfect to get usable code.  Previous versions could slice models just fine, and the new version couldn't.

In fact I had a long and arduous "conversation" with some of forum groupies over there, which were basically insulating Jonathan from the rest of the world and preventing him from seeing the slippery slope he was on. 

Then Jonathan disappeared for personal reasons for about a year, the forum got spammed to the point it was shut down, although both Jonathan and a new forum came back eventually.  Lots of drama, but by then I had lost all interest in Kisslicer, and Slic3r had gotten better, then Cura came along, and frankly I haven't looked back.

As for RH, my only complaint with the new version is that it won't allow me to manually reposition a model vertically.  The earlier version let you enter numeric translation values for X Y and Z, the new version doesn't.   As such you loose the ability to ACCURATELY position a model (dragging it around is no substitute), and the ability to place a model above the print surface. 

That can be useful, for example, if you want to add a model that is supposed to sit on top of another.

For this reason I still keep the old version (.85b for me) for special function, but I use 1.0.2 for most of the work

No not really. Kisslicer seems just as picky and there are free tools to fix the models.

The RH version is insignificant. Use what you like. The kisslicer version is important and the OP needs to upgrade if they want more/better functionality.

I'm not sure how far back you go with Kisslicer, but somewhere after version 1.1.0.14 everything started to get really weird.  It would crash during slicing, or it would produce useless code. or generate partial slices by stopping when it found an error in the model.

Of course everything was blamed on the errors in the models, and I don't deny there were not perfect, but previous versions of Kisslicer would slice the same identical model perfectly.  I think the last version I tried was 1.2.xx something.

Maybe to you, the RH version is insignificant, but not to me.  The later versions have one major advantage as far as I'm concerned, they support Cura, but the older versions, by allowing me to accurately position parts, let me create my own supports or add supports when the slicer didn't do what I wanted.

I think Kisslicer was significant back in 2013/14 when Slic3r and Cura were still struggling.  It was very fast (at least compared to Slic3r), it produced dimensionally accurate models and it had a decent support generator.

Since then Slic3r has cought up, and Cura, in my opinion, surpasses it.  If nothing else, those 2 programs can slice models that have some errors and still produce a decent output.  I couldn't say that about Kisslicer.

But then again, if you like it and it works for you, great who am I t argue with success.

To print or, 3D print, that is the question...
SD3 printer w/too many mods,  Printrbot Simple Maker Ed.,  FormLabs Form 1+
AnyCubic Photon, Shining 3D EinScan-S & Atlas 3D scanners...
...and too much time on my hands.

pirvan wrote:

I'm not sure how far back you go with Kisslicer, but somewhere after version 1.1.0.14 everything started to get really weird.  It would crash during slicing, or it would produce useless code. or generate partial slices by stopping when it found an error in the model.

Of course everything was blamed on the errors in the models, and I don't deny there were not perfect, but previous versions of Kisslicer would slice the same identical model perfectly.  I think the last version I tried was 1.2.xx something.

Maybe to you, the RH version is insignificant, but not to me.  The later versions have one major advantage as far as I'm concerned, they support Cura, but the older versions, by allowing me to accurately position parts, let me create my own supports or add supports when the slicer didn't do what I wanted.

I think Kisslicer was significant back in 2013/14 when Slic3r and Cura were still struggling.  It was very fast (at least compared to Slic3r), it produced dimensionally accurate models and it had a decent support generator.

Since then Slic3r has cought up, and Cura, in my opinion, surpasses it.  If nothing else, those 2 programs can slice models that have some errors and still produce a decent output.  I couldn't say that about Kisslicer.

But then again, if you like it and it works for you, great who am I t argue with success.

exactly my points. I also prefer RH 85b for same reasons. I recently had to adjust all 3 axis by just a few degrees to make it sit flat due to very poor designing of the stl by some thingaverse or other site uploader.

same reasons I abandoned Skienforge soon as it was installed. no continued maker support and impossible issues. I dont have time for such futile apps that even the makers give up on. Im not gonna live that long LOL

I'm not sure when it appeared but in the later versions of RH there is a "Lay Flat" option that is very convenient:

http://soliforum.com/i/?CTMm4Jm.png

SD2 - Stock - Enclosure - Heated Bed - Glass Plate - Auto Fire Extinguisher
Ord Bot Hadron - RAMPS 1.4 - Bulldog XL - E3D v6 - 10" x 10" PCB Heated Build w/SSR - Glass Plate
Thanks for All of Your Help!