Topic: Stepper Motor Drivers

Hi Guys,

I have an issue with my extruder driver my motor keeps over heating and stopping..

Think its due to too much current to the motor but can not adjust the drivers thinking of getting these

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5x-DRV8825-St … 3f4c1fd1ad

would I get away with just replacing one or would I have the replace them all at the same time

cheers

Re: Stepper Motor Drivers

You can't replace davinci stepper drivers. They are soldered in and there are none compatible with davinci.

barry1685 wrote:

You can't replace davinci stepper drivers. They are soldered in and there are none compatible with davinci.

Not all boards have drivers soldered on. If you have a first through third generation 1.0 it board did have the drivers on what appeared to be standard socketed carriers. However the carriers are a custom design with hard wired current setting and they are about 3mm by 2mm larger than a standard stepstick or polulu driver.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

My drivers are removable I've had them out just now to look at them. I have the ones in the link been sent tomorrow all I can do is try to see if they fit if not I'll look at changing the board in it then just want to be able to get the current just right on the motors so there isn't too much current going to the motors because I have had my extruder over heat numerous time which results in a failed print because he motor just stops

L.woinson95 wrote:

My drivers are removable I've had them out just now to look at them. I have the ones in the link been sent tomorrow all I can do is try to see if they fit if not I'll look at changing the board in it then just want to be able to get the current just right on the motors so there isn't too much current going to the motors because I have had my extruder over heat numerous time which results in a failed print because he motor just stops

Welcome to the club, that's why I had to go to a RAMPS1.4. You might as well start shopping for another controller. I can assure you that the after market drivers won't fit as they are standard while the ones in the 1.0 now are not standard. See pic for comparison.

Da Vinci driver is on the left, the standard Polulu is on the right.

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l5/solarenemy/20150601_125255.jpg

Is there any other way of stopping the motor over heating on the extruder on long prints??

L.woinson95 wrote:

Is there any other way of stopping the motor over heating on the extruder on long prints??

Maybe a fan on it. Most printers now have a fan that blows on the extruder motor. But best option is swap out the mainboard to something better and more controllable.

Have you got any suggestions on boards like different ones?? So I can have a look at my budget and how much control I have over it??

Thanks

L.woinson95 wrote:

Have you got any suggestions on boards like different ones?? So I can have a look at my budget and how much control I have over it??

Thanks

I am using a RAMPS 1.4 on mine.

Have you got a link to a page which shows how you would flash the boards and sire them up?

Makergeeks has a sweet ramps 1.4 kit with box and fan for 150$

Isn't VDD what he wants to tweak? Maybe his resistor is bad on stepper driver

barry1685 wrote:

Isn't VDD what he wants to tweak? Maybe his resistor is bad on stepper driver

VDD is hardset on the stepper drivers on the davinci, and he can't replace the stepper driver because the driver carrier is the wrong size.

I suppose it would be fairly easy to make an adapter board so you could go to a standard stepper, but honestly you're better off getting a new board. I have a rumba, which is also a damn fine choice.

SD3 w/ RUMBA (8825s), merlin hot end (in pieces). Ender3 w/ silent board for PLA printing. Ender5 w/ silent board, e3d v6, new z lead screw, and glass bed. DiY Kossel w/ smoothieboard (in pieces). Vellman Vertex (in pieces)
Shapeoko2 router in process of being converted to laser engraver (in pieces)
Multicam 5000 series CNC Router w/ 11HP spindle, 5x10' table, and auto tool changer (in pieces)

L.woinson95 wrote:

Have you got a link to a page which shows how you would flash the boards and sire them up?

I am working on a complete conversion write up along with pre compiled firmware. Unfortunately seems my motor on my extruder did take some damage from the over current and has now started to fail. So until I get it replace in maybe a week topsmy write up is on hold.

What ever board you get you will also need to get three end stops. Preferably optical. The stock endstops will not work on an after market controller.

That would be handy as I am new to completely setting up a printer board from scratch. I have seen some of the ramps boards come with a separate board what is it for??

Thanks

16 (edited by carl_m1968 2015-06-02 22:32:30)

L.woinson95 wrote:

That would be handy as I am new to completely setting up a printer board from scratch. I have seen some of the ramps boards come with a separate board what is it for??

Thanks

One usually a blue one is the actual Arduino which is a must, the other which is the RAMPS is what is known as a shield in the Arduino world. A shield is just a specific purpose interface/expansion board. In this case an interface for the printer. In addition to the Arduino and RAMPS most of the time sold as a set, you will also need 4 stepper drivers. DRV88 based ones are the best.

If you go with RAMPS the LCD is optional but a must if you plan to use an SDcard. If you do get the LCD you will need to buy or make two 5 foot long 10 pin ribbon cables. As the ones that come with the LCD are a foot long and will not reach the RAMPS and be in an accessible area.

I'm posting here hoping anyone looking to use other drivers like the DRV8825 and TMC2100 will look here and I can add my 2 cents. I Upgraded my DaVinci 1.0 to TMC 2100 and it's FANTASTIC. You can easily add in a driver from the standard (reprap) size format with simple jumper wires and no changes to the firmware. This may limit the ultimate current a driver can provide and you may want to use higher quality/gauge jumper wires if this is an issue. Since the DaVinci driver pins map directly, I just hooked up every pin as usual with jumper wires except: reverse any two from a pair from the 4 motor output pins and DO NOT connect any of the enable pins. This will make it go into stealthchop mode and interpolate 1/256 usteps for a 1/16 input. Prints are beautiful and (semi) quiet...I have to figure out how to quiet the PSU fan now that it's the loudest part...http://soliforum.com/i/?228jUwQ.png

18 (edited by Telemachus 2016-04-12 21:55:42)

Awesome that this is working for you, this is great news, no?

I don't know that it helps those of us that have the 1.0A.  I'm pretty sure the drivers are soldered onto the board.

I would imagine if the stepper drivers are integrated into the main board, the leads could just be cut...

Da Vinci 1.0a.  Repetier 0.92.  E3D V6.  Titan Extruder.  Sllic3r.  Octoprint on Raspberry Pi B+.

19 (edited by Hecot 2016-04-18 15:05:25)

The TMC2100 got a trimmer to adjust the current limit - what current limit do you set on the new controller?

Does anyone got information (datasheet) from the stock stepper motors maximum current rating?

I just hand-test the strength. I use a heatsink - it doesn't seem to get too hot and the back case is reasonably well ventilated.
TMC has a datasheet (http://www.trinamic.com/products/integr … _Datasheet) but I'm using a cheap ebay/chinese supplier so no guarantees it's the same

21 (edited by Hecot 2016-04-18 16:13:36)

Dear nicksears!

A "hand-test" is not a very precise method to set the current limit smile! IMO it would be better to measure the voltage on the “ref” pin and to calculate the resulting current limit!

About the datasheet: I'm looking for a datasheet from the stepper motor that XYZ uses inside the Davinci printer - to know the accurate maximum current rating of the motor coils!

22 (edited by Telemachus 2016-04-18 19:35:31)

I wonder if, short of changing out the steppers themselves, if a variable resister could be placed in line with the stock motors to limit the voltage/current of the stock motors.  I have heard it stated that the stock drivers supply to high of a voltage, but I have not seen where anyone measured that.  I haven't really dug into Voltivo's forums, though.

I just know I need to do something.  I got almost a 3 cm shift in the x-plane on a fairly simple print today.  I know the belts are tensioned properly, the filamant was loose, and I have a fan on the eletronics, and all of the wires are in tact.  The motors just get blazing hot!

I really don't want to move the whole setup to RAMPS, but I am not going to put my E3D v6/Titan combo in this printer unless I can get the shifting under control!

Da Vinci 1.0a.  Repetier 0.92.  E3D V6.  Titan Extruder.  Sllic3r.  Octoprint on Raspberry Pi B+.

23 (edited by Hecot 2016-04-18 20:36:44)

OK - the datasheet wasn't hard to find: http://www.eminebea.com/en/product/rota … pm-k.shtml

http://soliforum.com/i/?nI1VHHM.png

According to the datasheet the maximum current is 1A - not pretty much! I currently run the extruder stepper motor at 1.25A but could not see any increase in motor temperature - it's still about 46°C!

Holding torque of 380 mNm is 38.0 Ncm - a standard NEMA17 stepper got 40Ncm.

24 (edited by Hecot 2016-04-18 20:46:59)

@Telemachus: I already told you what may cause your x-axis shift: http://www.soliforum.com/topic/14361/ra … -in-print/

BTW - What is "blazing hot" converted to °C or °F?

Just a note and it is a common problem Da Vinci machines. The  X endstop wires are prone to breaking inside the insulation causing intermittent opens. The machine logic sees these opens as lows and will mark that low as the new home and shift everything on that axis based on the new home. You might want to ohm out each of the three x axis endstop wites while somebody moves that axis back and fourth to see if there is an open