Topic: Print speed ... extruder limited ?

Hello,

I did some tests on the solidoodle over the last week ...

Doing speed test, my results are that the X/Y axes are very fast once setup correctly (I'm traveling at 20m/min without any problem), the Z is ok (not used that much) ... but the limiting factor seems to be the extruder, I tried to push the speed limit and at some point the travel speed is still perfect but the extruder doesn't grip the filament enough to push it through the nozzle (I'm running the nozzle at 205°C).

Am I right or is my extruder not setup correctly ?

Thomas.

Re: Print speed ... extruder limited ?

My ( #1 ) Idler-Arm from the MK2 Pack will give you the grip you seek, but you may need to adjust voltage since it can be made  so tight it can cause binding 80).  The 0 arm is a slightly improved near OEM replacement (I use this daily).   I never tried them with w/o replacing the acrylic parts first (do print those MK2 or MK3 parts since they are great to have as backups) and (make sure you netfabb it first....some people said the netfabb I had used did not work {fixed that issue so the offline = cloud now)   

I print honeycomb infill @ 300mm/s with RH 120 perimeters (60 small) 50%external) and things normally go well.

Otatiaro wrote:

Hello,

I did some tests on the solidoodle over the last week ...

Doing speed test, my results are that the X/Y axes are very fast once setup correctly (I'm traveling at 20m/min without any problem), the Z is ok (not used that much) ... but the limiting factor seems to be the extruder, I tried to push the speed limit and at some point the travel speed is still perfect but the extruder doesn't grip the filament enough to push it through the nozzle (I'm running the nozzle at 205°C).

Am I right or is my extruder not setup correctly ?

Thomas.

Thomas, I will be moving this post to the trouble shooting section. It is not absolutely clear from your post weather or not you are having functionality from your printer. Are you just trying to up the ante on speed, or are you having no extrusion whatsoever?

Former Solidoodle employee, no longer associated with the company.

Hello,

solidoodlesupport wrote:

Thomas, I will be moving this post to the trouble shooting section. It is not absolutely clear from your post weather or not you are having functionality from your printer. Are you just trying to up the ante on speed, or are you having no extrusion whatsoever?

No it's working good for speeds under 150mm/s, but above it starts to grind the filament from time to time and doesn't extrud as much plastic as needed.

Just trying to find the speed limit of the whole printer, and trying to find the limiting factor.

Thomas.

Hello,

jefferysanders wrote:

My ( #1 ) Idler-Arm from the MK2 Pack will give you the grip you seek, but you may need to adjust voltage since it can be made  so tight it can cause binding 80).  The 0 arm is a slightly improved near OEM replacement (I use this daily).   I never tried them with w/o replacing the acrylic parts first (do print those MK2 or MK3 parts since they are great to have as backups) and (make sure you netfabb it first....some people said the netfabb I had used did not work {fixed that issue so the offline = cloud now)   

I print honeycomb infill @ 300mm/s with RH 120 perimeters (60 small) 50%external) and things normally go well.

Where can I find more information about the parts you are talking about ?

Thomas.

Otatiaro wrote:

Hello,

solidoodlesupport wrote:

No it's working good for speeds under 150mm/s, but above it starts to grind the filament from time to time and doesn't extrud as much plastic as needed.

Just trying to find the speed limit of the whole printer, and trying to find the limiting factor.

Thomas.

In this case, there is a limiting factor. The last word on this was actually *temperature* - I.e the filament would flow more readily if higher temperatures could be achieved. You may also want to look at the work some folks are doing on Bowden extruders in the hacks/mods section.

Former Solidoodle employee, no longer associated with the company.