Topic: Where is the Modelling Software for 3D Printing?

Hi everyone!

I'm an independent developer working on trying to make 3D modelling software for 3D printing that's easy to use. I know I'm not supposed to advertise etc on the forum and I'm not trying to do that. What I'm looking for is anyone who has trouble modelling things who might have some time to talk to me about their problems and experiences. If anyone has some time for this, it would be really helpful! You can email me at [email protected].

If you need more persuading that things need to change, I wrote a blog post on this:
http://makethingsnow.com/blog/where-is- … -printing/

Re: Where is the Modelling Software for 3D Printing?

اhello all
I am a researcher at a University in iran. We have a Zprinter model 450 manufactured by Zcorp
and we hope that you can help us with a problem regarding this device.

At the moment, the device cannot connect to the computer via network cable and the computer data are not transmitted to the device. The device is alarming the error" unknown printer". It should be noted that after being turned on, the device alarms three times (beeps) and does not boot up. If it is booted by F2, the connection with the device fails due to the cited error "unknown printer". It does not represent in Iran and We do not have access to them.
Action that we:
network Cable and healthy controls.
Operating Software is oky
Thanks and regards.
Mehdi

Mehdi you're problem is not enough power. take a 12 volt car battery and attach it to the mother board and that should cure all of your problems

Corun i need more experience with software my problem is that i find most of the programs to be intimidating and not to work the way my brain does. I'd like software that lets me to actually draw out my ideas. I usually wind up using thinkercad not because its good but because its easy and lets me do some of the things i want without intensive study.

I do not think the 3d printing realm has a problem with software its issue is a problem with good AFFORDABLE software.

+1

For example, solidworks is pretty freaking ace for modelling 3d printing, it's just pretty freaking expensive too.

SD3. Mk2b + glass, heated enclosure, GT2 belts, direct drive y shaft, linear bearings, bowden-feed E3D v5 w/ 0.9° stepper
Smoothieboard via Octoprint on RPi

I do not think the 3d printing realm has a problem with software its issue is a problem with good AFFORDABLE software.

This! times 1000...

There are gobs of 3D modeling programs, some good, some so-so, some free and some ridiculously expensive.
there is very little out there that is "affordable" for the home user (aside from the free stuff, and those are usually lacking in features)

The free ones range from fairly easy to use, but really lacking in the features department (123D Design), to being rather complicated (to me) to use (OpenSCad)

I have found one that is reasonably easy to use, has features I was looking for - like being able to import images to build from - and was reasonably priced - AC3D... had a 14 day free trial, and under $100 to purchase.

Using the free trial of AC3D, I was able to import an existing STL file, modify it to suit my needs, save and export as STL and actually print the modified file. It worked beautifully to do what I wanted to do, and the printed part is now in my SD4, working exactly as intended. Because of this, I went ahead and purchased the license for it.

I am still learning how to use it fully, but in time I think it will become my "go to" program for modeling - unless something better comes along at that price point.

SD4 #1 & #2 - Lawsy carriages, E3D v6, Rumba controller board, mirror bed plate, X motor fan, upgraded PSU & Mica bed heater
SD4 #3 - in the works ~ Folgertech FT-5, rev 1
Printit Industries Beta Tester - Horizon H1

I can do some minor 3d modelling using stuff like FreeCAD, since it's similar to the program I took classes on years ago (ProEngineer), but it's butts for doing anything creative. I either need to find a good 3d sculpting software or build a scanner and buy a whole bunch of play-doh.

SD3 w/ RUMBA (8825s), merlin hot end (in pieces). Ender3 w/ silent board for PLA printing. Ender5 w/ silent board, e3d v6, new z lead screw, and glass bed. DiY Kossel w/ smoothieboard (in pieces). Vellman Vertex (in pieces)
Shapeoko2 router in process of being converted to laser engraver (in pieces)
Multicam 5000 series CNC Router w/ 11HP spindle, 5x10' table, and auto tool changer (in pieces)

Baron - have you looked into things like 123D Design? it is pretty easy to learn, and there are some really good tutorials out there for it to learn the different tools. The biggest thing is trying to think in basic geometric shapes and how they can be combined and tweaked to create the finished model.

I have modeled some fairly complex parts with it with good results. It does have limitations, but for starting out on the creative side it can be a useful tool. My little elephant puzzle was modeled in 123D Design...

SD4 #1 & #2 - Lawsy carriages, E3D v6, Rumba controller board, mirror bed plate, X motor fan, upgraded PSU & Mica bed heater

I'll have to give it a try. I'm installing sculptris on my work laptop right now, might futz with it a little bit and see what I get.

The only reason I haven't tried 123D Design is that autoCAD was my nemesis back in my college drafting course. No idea why it gave me so much trouble.

SD3 w/ RUMBA (8825s), merlin hot end (in pieces). Ender3 w/ silent board for PLA printing. Ender5 w/ silent board, e3d v6, new z lead screw, and glass bed. DiY Kossel w/ smoothieboard (in pieces). Vellman Vertex (in pieces)
Multicam 5000 series CNC Router w/ 11HP spindle, 5x10' table, and auto tool changer (in pieces)

I have tried fee cad seems like bit of a learning curve . Have not had lots of success with it.

cubify products are nice and IMHO fairly easy to use once you get a few basics down
cubify  invent is cheap $49 great for doing stl files
Invent will do parts assemblies and convert 3d files to 2d drawings fast. $200
Sculpt is 3d digital clay  clay and $129
IIRC try any of the above for a 14 day free trial.
http://cubify.com/products/software/?gc … Hwod3lsAXw

Veterans can get a student licence of solidworks for $20 IIRC good for a year.
Tin

Soliddoodle 4 stock w glass bed------Folger Tech Prusa 2020 upgraded to and titan /aero extruder mirror bed
FT5 with titan/ E3D Aero------MP mini select w glass bed
MP Utimate maker pro-W bondtech extruder
Marlin/Repetier Host/ Slic3r and Cura

TheBaron wrote:

I'll have to give it a try. I'm installing sculptris on my work laptop right now, might futz with it a little bit and see what I get.

The only reason I haven't tried 123D Design is that autoCAD was my nemesis back in my college drafting course. No idea why it gave me so much trouble.

123D Design is nothing like autoCAD - not even close, LOL

Start here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TLalw3cQ08

The same user has a whole series of tutorials on 123D and explains the tools and how to use them quite well and in plain english lol. I learned a lot from their videos.

12 (edited by TheBaron 2015-06-09 14:09:09)

When I'm not at work I'll give 123D a look. I've been crazy busy at home the last couple days, so I'm not sure when that will be.

Playing with sculptris has been really fun thus far. It's made by the guys from Zbrush, but it's free. It's basically like having a clay ball you can push/pull, pinch, twist, etc. You can even set it up to be symmetrical about an axis. I spent about 10 minutes on it yesterday and made a creepy face.

Post's attachments

weird face.png
weird face.png 247.55 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

lol, cool. i will have to take a look at that one.

I used  AutoCAD and 3D CAD software for modelling.  Both are excellent. For product sketch creating, these software's are easy to create it.