Re: Getting good scans

HEre is the scan mentioned in the post above. 

The resulting PLY file was 85MB, and the STL was 159MB.  For some resaon, this version of FreeLSS seems to also create a mesh along with the point cloud on the PLY file.  That mesh is not as good as when I manually generate the Poisson surface reconstruction.  The resulting file, although still big, it's a lot smaller than the one generated by FreeLSS.

Here is the link to the file.  I had to simplify the original mesh using the quadratic Edge Collapse Decimation, which got it down to 5MB from 55MB.  Even so, it's still to big to upload here, so I posted it to a cloud storage.  The link is below.

https://1fichier.com/?th4unbcbx3

To print or, 3D print, that is the question...
SD3 printer w/too many mods,  Printrbot Simple Maker Ed.,  FormLabs Form 1+
AnyCubic Photon, Shining 3D EinScan-S & Atlas 3D scanners...
...and too much time on my hands.

pirvan,

The Raspberry Pi does not have enough memory to efficiently perform high resolution surface reconstruction onboard with an algorithm such as Poisson (however this possibility is much more feasible with the Raspberry Pi 2).  As a result, FreeLSS performs very basic meshing and allows users to create water tight models with 3rd party applications such as MeshLab.  Meshlab also enables noise removal (model smoothing), and other useful capabilities.  The size of the Poisson reconstructed file that MeshLab outputs will largely be driven by the Octree Depth and Solver Divide parameters of the Surface Reconstruction: Poisson dialog.  Increasing these values results in a larger and higher detail model.  A depth of 8 and a divide of 7 are good ones to start with.  Be advised that setting them too high can cause Meshlab to run out of memory and crash.

HI Uriah,

I don't know if you downloaded the STL I linked, but I used depth of 10 and a divider of 8 on that scan. 
What smoothing filter do you suggest I should use, and what values?

BTW, did you see my post regarding the difference in scan size between the 2 lasers?  I can't really use both lasers during scans because of it.  Any suggestions on that ?

ugh... do everyone a favor and use something like zippyshare.com  to share files, not whatever that is... it spawned a bunch of popups, and that's with an adblocker on.
oh, and if you are looking to smooth out those "wrinkles", try autodesk's Meshmixer. the "sculpt tool" is especially helpful.

30 (edited by pirvan 2015-05-29 18:02:11)

Really??  There's only one PopUp, and only when you click the Download button.  It's a full size window (behind the main window), and can be closed before it even loads.

BTW, we've used this service on this board A LOT, because it's fast and free, it doesn't carry inappropriate pop-ups or images, doesn't try to push adware to your computer, so we can host files that we couldn't upload here even if we zipped them up.

However, I should have zipped the file up and tried to post it here, so here it goes.

I also uploaded a file on which I used the Laplacian Smooth filter in MeshLab.  AS you can see, it does a nice job of smoothing the surface, but it also washes out some of the detail.

Edit:
I also tried the ZippyShare service, and it does exactly the same thing as the 1fichier service.  As soon as you click the download button, it pops up an advertisement windows behind the current web browser window.

So it's no different than the other service in that respect, but it's good to have an alternative. smile

Post's attachments

SUmo mesh simplified smooth.zip 2.27 mb, 19 downloads since 2015-05-29 

SUmo mesh simplified.zip 2.25 mb, 12 downloads since 2015-05-29 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

My adblocker kills the zippyshare popup before it happens, but the other site has a script that runs to force a popup, and if you block the script, it doesn't download.

oh, and you really should try meshmixer. I obviously don't have the original model to copy, but here's what a few passes with some of the sculpting tools gave me - I probably smoothed a bit too much, but it's really just an example.

Frozen wrote:

My adblocker kills the zippyshare popup before it happens, but the other site has a script that runs to force a popup, and if you block the script, it doesn't download.

oh, and you really should try meshmixer. I obviously don't have the original model to copy, but here's what a few passes with some of the sculpting tools gave me - I probably smoothed a bit too much, but it's really just an example.

I've used MeshMixer before, but I'm not that comfortable with it.  I'm not a big fan of MeshLab either, but at least 'm familiar with some of the tools there, and I do like the fine controls over their filters, things that MeshMixer doesn't really have.

Anyway, I use the Zbrush in MeshLab and I'm familiar with how to use it to smooth out areas manually.  My examples were simply what can be done with filters, without any manual, detail work.  The reason for those "wrinkles, is that those are the areas where Meshlab had to guess on how to fill the missing pieces.  Which in retrospect is not al that bad.  With a little work, one can actually get a workable model.

Now if I could only fix the laser discrepancy to get a full scan, I'd probably have something...

I'd suggest making scans of some really simple objects - a cube, a cylinder, etc. - in order to really see what's going on with your scanner. Having complex shapes, colors, different surfaces and concave areas makes it harder to see what's up.

That said, my scanner is currently sitting idle because I have never been able to get past the problem of the two shells, one from each laser. The latest software update makes the scanner so slow as to be unusable, so I'm hoping that a future release will fix both the speed and the dual-laser scan issues.

owens-bill wrote:

I'd suggest making scans of some really simple objects - a cube, a cylinder, etc. - in order to really see what's going on with your scanner. Having complex shapes, colors, different surfaces and concave areas makes it harder to see what's up.

That said, my scanner is currently sitting idle because I have never been able to get past the problem of the two shells, one from each laser. The latest software update makes the scanner so slow as to be unusable, so I'm hoping that a future release will fix both the speed and the dual-laser scan issues.

I already tested it with simple objects.  The first time I noticed the problem, was on a scan of a small medicine bottle.  The dual shell was really obvious.

35 (edited by pirvan 2015-05-30 18:08:53)

UPDATE:  Scanning discrepancy fixed... hopefully.

Yesterday, I went back to scanning simple stuff like the aforementioned medicine bottle, in another attempt to see why the discrepancy between lasers exists, however, midway through the scan I was looking at the preview, and I noticed something I  hadn't noticed before.  The top of the left laser scan is outside, while the bottom is on the inside.

http://www.soliforum.com/misc.php?action=pun_attachment&item=8746

That told me immediately, the left laser is not vertically aligned, yet when using the calibration thingy, it looked fine.  So I printed a checkerboard pattern on a some heavy photopaper stock, and made myself a taller calibration block. 

http://www.soliforum.com/misc.php?action=pun_attachment&item=8748

When I put that on the turntable, i found that both lasers were off, and they were drifting farther apart as they got higher.  Anyway, to make a long story short, once it calibrated both lasers, and the camera to be square, the scanner discrepancy went away.

Here is a pretty complicated model scanned in default mode.  Next up will be the Hi-res scan.

http://www.soliforum.com/misc.php?action=pun_attachment&item=8749

FYI.  The reason I hadn't noticed tilt before, was because FreeLSS, cuts off the overlap between the 2 lasers when the scan is completed.  You can see the offset, but it's impossible to see the cross-over created y the tilt, so you assume the outside at the top is from the same laser that crated the outside at the bottom.

Post's attachments

Calibration thing.jpg 88.92 kb, 3 downloads since 2015-05-30 

SCAN_0005.jpg 41.64 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

SCAN_0006.jpg
SCAN_0006.jpg 198.61 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You can also use the Test button on the CAMERA page to fine tune the laser alignment.  It will actually go through the image processing routines and show you exactly where the center of the lasers are.

Here is an updated calibration, done at 5Mp.

I also made a small change to my calibration device.  The paper, by itslef, was too flimsy, so I glued the grid to the face of a CD case.  Now it can stand nice and square all by itself.

The fist picture is of the camera by itself, but it's a screen capture, because saving the actual image doesn't include the cross-hair overlay.  The next pictures, in order, are the left laser only, the right laser only, both lasers and the test shot of both lasers.

http://www.soliforum.com/misc.php?action=pun_attachment&item=8755
http://www.soliforum.com/misc.php?action=pun_attachment&item=8756
http://www.soliforum.com/misc.php?action=pun_attachment&item=8757
http://www.soliforum.com/misc.php?action=pun_attachment&item=8758
http://www.soliforum.com/misc.php?action=pun_attachment&item=8759

On another note. 

I tried to do a high-res scan of the little statuette of the lady with the basketful of cats (see image in previous post), and it failed during the merging of the scans from the 2 lasers.  It actually locked up and the scanner was no longer responsive, so I had to reset it.  Needless to say, I lost all the data, the only option I had was to delete.  No view, STL or PLY options, just a delete button.  All that after a 220 minute scan.

I guess scanning something really complex at 3200 steps generates way to much data for for the Pi to process.

Post's attachments

5MP calibration Test.jpg
5MP calibration Test.jpg 165.9 kb, 1 downloads since 2015-05-31 

5MP calibration_Camera.jpg
5MP calibration_Camera.jpg 171.45 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

5MP Calibration_Laser-both.jpg
5MP Calibration_Laser-both.jpg 368.57 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

5MP Calibration_Laser_L.jpg
5MP Calibration_Laser_L.jpg 370.55 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

5MP Calibration_Laser_R.jpg
5MP Calibration_Laser_R.jpg 367.59 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

pirvan, you most likely began to run out of physical memory and started to swap on the SD.  Also, I wouldn't think 3200 steps would necessarily lead to a better model than 1600 steps because the bottleneck in quality would begin to transition to the ability to detect the center of the laser line, which is generally seen as bumpiness on the surface of the model.  However, performing a Poisson reconstruction or a good noise reduction filter can smooth it out with little loss of quality.

39 (edited by pirvan 2015-05-31 17:49:32)

That's my thinking too, so right now, I'm doing just that, a 1600 step scan.  As soon as it's done, I'll post the result.  I saw a post somewhere that you were just about done with a new update that might fix the long scans, or was it some sluggishness in the UI?

I never had any issues with sluggishness, but the scanning speed could use some improvement.  At the moment, the scan I'm doing will take about 105 minutes to complete.

BTW, how does the calibration look to you?

Here is an addition I made to the scanner.  Front mounted RGB LEDs t do some fill in , especially for objects that have large overhangs which may darken areas below.

The nice thing about having adjustable color LEDs is that some colors will actually enhance the laser contrast.  For example, the statuette I'm scanning has a large brimmed hat that puts the face in a shadow, but while white light will light the face up, it will also wash out the laser on the dress which is red, so I found that a light green value enhances the red laser line.

I tried to take an action shot, so I ended up with "Starship Atlas" smile

http://www.soliforum.com/misc.php?action=pun_attachment&item=8760

Post's attachments

Starship atlas.jpg
Starship atlas.jpg 174.33 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

I think I finally got this thing dialed in.  Here is the Cat Lady statuette I was trying to scan.  This was done at 5Mp Still & 1600 steps..  It took 103 minutes to complete.  Now If I can only figure out how to scan the top so I can get the missing parts, I'd have it made.

On to the pics.  The first image is the point cloud generated by the scanner, the other three are the mesh generated by the Poisson Surface reconstruction filter.  I then ran a Quadratic Edge Collapse to simplyfy the mesh, and reduce it to about 1/10th of it's original size.

Besides that I just cut the bottom off, and deleted the ring (the edge of the turntable) around the model.

Obviously it still needs some work, like fixing the hat and the basket handle, but considering the complexity of the model, it's not too bad.

http://www.soliforum.com/misc.php?action=pun_attachment&item=8761

Post's attachments

Cat Lady.jpg 365.92 kb, 5 downloads since 2015-05-31 

Very cool scan!

I've been really trying various settings and options while scanning and you can see some of the results on my other thread.

However I'm still struggling with various issues, and one that I came across is that that FreeLSS (or the Raspberry Pi) either run out of resources or memory, as you keep using it, resulting in very strange scans with missing "layers".

When I say "layer" I refer to each snapshot that the scanner takes for every rotational step.

I noticed that after a few scans that look fine, the scanner begins to miss or drop every few "layers", resulting in something that looks like this:

http://www.soliforum.com/misc.php?action=pun_attachment&item=8785

The only solution I found so far was to turn the scanner off, then back on.  If this is indeed a problem with memory and/or resources, perhaps Uriah can provide a memory clear button or maybe a simple reboot option.

Post's attachments

missing layers.jpg
missing layers.jpg 175.34 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

44 (edited by pirvan 2015-06-07 00:17:13)

AS previously mentioned, I still have a problem with the lasers not agreeing with each other.

Whereas before I scanned a model with both lasers on, this time I scanned the same model twice: first with the left, then the right laser.  Here are the results:

http://www.soliforum.com/misc.php?action=pun_attachment&item=8786

The left laser seems to produce a scan that is about 10% larger in the XY axis, but the z axis (height) is more or less the same, so I ended up with a "fat" scan.

Post's attachments

Schoolboy laser difference..jpg
Schoolboy laser difference..jpg 196.5 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

I think I may have found a workaround this laser discrepancy.

I started playing with the only setting that is not "interconnected" with the others, the "Laser X".  By default the Laser X is set to -4.95" (left) and + 4.95" (right).  My actual dimension from the center of the camera to the center of the laser face is 5.125".  The face of the laser barrel is flush with the plastic holder.

Anyway, I used the actual dimensions, I tried default dimensions, but in either case, the result ws the same, the left and right lasers see a different picture, so this time I input a different number in the left laser, sine it appears to be the one that is off.  I first used a smaller number -4.5", but it didn't appear to make any difference, so I put in -4".  The distortion got worse, so I went the other way.  After some trial and error, I found the numbers to make the lasers agree (almost perfectly):  + 4.95" for the right laser, and -5.3" for the left laser.

I don't know why this works, the numbers do not match actual measurements, but it works.

I'm doing a few more scans at the moment, and I'll post same samples later

Changing the numbers artificially did make a difference, but it's still not right.  It's not immediately noticeable since once the scan is done, FreeLSS, discard any information it doesn't use. 

It apparently analyzes the scan, while giving preference to the right laser, and uses the data from the left laser to fill in what the right one didn't see.  The it discards any unused data.

So in some of the scans, the result appears contiguous, but in others, especially when you look at the model from various angles, or after you reconstruct the mesh, you can see difference in the scans.  Especially in the places where it had to replace and entire band of data, there will be an obvious step in the surface.

So for now I'm waiting for a fix.

@ Hairu526
I know you said in another post that the problem is in the alignment, but you haven't told me what I'm doing wrong.  I already showed the alignment pattern, and how I did it, but there's never been a direct answer to my question:  What am I doing wrong?

47 (edited by pirvan 2015-06-12 16:24:42)

Well, it looks like the laser misalignment has been solved by Uriah.  The newly minted FreeLSS v.1.7 solves the problem with it's auto-calibration feature.

If you had similar problems as I did, check out the new version.

Be aware that there is a "glitch" with the camera preview being offset to the left.  Do not realign your camera, leave it as is.  As long as your lasers point to the center of the calibration tool, you're good.  Ignore the camera view red cross-hairs. 

Click the "Calibrate" button, wait for FreeLSS to give you a successful calibration message and start scanning.

pirvan wrote:

Changing the numbers artificially did make a difference, but it's still not right.  It's not immediately noticeable since once the scan is done, FreeLSS, discard any information it doesn't use. 

It apparently analyzes the scan, while giving preference to the right laser, and uses the data from the left laser to fill in what the right one didn't see.  The it discards any unused data.

So in some of the scans, the result appears contiguous, but in others, especially when you look at the model from various angles, or after you reconstruct the mesh, you can see difference in the scans.  Especially in the places where it had to replace and entire band of data, there will be an obvious step in the surface.

So for now I'm waiting for a fix.

@ Hairu526
I know you said in another post that the problem is in the alignment, but you haven't told me what I'm doing wrong.  I already showed the alignment pattern, and how I did it, but there's never been a direct answer to my question:  What am I doing wrong?

I watched a video of someone scanning with a home built and when it was scanning the left and right lasers would individually turn off and on. Sometimes one would turn off and on several times and then the other one would turn on for one step and then back to the other. Does the Atlas work that way?

Earlier versions of the software would try a particular frame several times if it thought that something was moving in the background (it would wait until the disturbance went away).  This led to a lot of false detections and slowed the scanning process for a lot of people.  Thus, it has been disabled in the most recent code base until it can be revisited.

Because I couldn't find a pixel perfect quarter inch checkerboard pattern anywhere, I made one. Here you go:

Post's attachments

quarterchecker.pdf 5.81 kb, 77 downloads since 2015-08-05