Topic: Let's see some of your scans

I'm still building my scanner, but I'd like to start a page where we can show off some cool scans from the Atlas 3D.

So let's see some, post, post POST !  smile

To print or, 3D print, that is the question...
SD3 printer w/too many mods,  Printrbot Simple Maker Ed.,  FormLabs Form 1+
AnyCubic Photon, Shining 3D EinScan-S & Atlas 3D scanners...
...and too much time on my hands.

Re: Let's see some of your scans

Come on... nobody has managed to scan anything yet?

pirvan wrote:

Come on... nobody has managed to scan anything yet?

If they look like some of the scans on thingiverse I can see why no one wants to show them.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

I haven't even opened the box yet.

Printit Industries Model 8.10 fully enclosed CoreXY, Chamber heat
3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL
Thanks to all for your contributions

thingaverse scans are from the makerbot scanner

Solidoodle 2 with Deluxe kit cover & glass bed with heater. and 2nd board SD2 used not 3rd and alum platform not installed yet still wood. also need cooling fan installed to board. use Repetier Host couple vers. Slic3r also have all free ware STL programs

Well, you can some info about scans I've made with my Matter & Form scanner here to compare if you ever do get a scan :-).

http://home.comcast.net/~tomhorsley/har … rform.html

My latest being a custom sort of "hand vise" gadget fit to my hand by scanning a blob of Play Doh I squished:

http://home.comcast.net/~tomhorsley/har … -grip.html

I started a new thread, with my early experince with the Atlas scanner, and I'm not afraid to post them in in all their glory (gory ?).

http://www.soliforum.com/topic/11260/ge … ood-scans/

Obviously we have a long way to go before we get scans that look anywhere near the ones Uriah posted in his Kickstarter previews.  Bu I have faith.  It's just a matter of calibrations, and understanding how to use the tools.

So gather 'round folks we're just getting started ! smile

I haven't gotten my kit yet... Most backers will get it in late June to early July.

SO I guess I'll be the first to post a scan.

Here is one of a little statuette of a lady with a bagful of cats.  THere is no post scan cleanup, only the bottom was cut off.  This scan was done at 5Mp @ 1600 steps

http://www.soliforum.com/misc.php?action=pun_attachment&item=8773

And this is another one of a schoolboy.  Done at the same resolution.  The only touch up I did was around the base and on his right foot, but it's not complete.

http://www.soliforum.com/misc.php?action=pun_attachment&item=8774

That's it so far.

Post's attachments

Cat Lady.jpg
Cat Lady.jpg 365.92 kb, 8 downloads since 2015-06-04 

Schoolboy_small.jpg
Schoolboy_small.jpg 116.26 kb, 7 downloads since 2015-06-04 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

How tall are those models?

They're both about 6" tall.

Here is another one.  A little, 3" Cartman the Wizard toy.

This is one I experimented with in MeshMixer primarily for smoothing and sculpting.

http://www.soliforum.com/misc.php?action=pun_attachment&item=8782

Post's attachments

Cartman Wizard.jpg
Cartman Wizard.jpg 277.08 kb, 1 downloads since 2015-06-06 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

@pirvan Have you updated to version 1.6 of the software yet?

14 (edited by pirvan 2015-06-06 14:11:03)

Yes, Cartman was scanned with v.1.6

I like the fact that it doesn't linger over one spot trying over and over like the old version used to.  It's definitely faster than the previous version.

I'm still having problems with the left and right scans not matching, but I'm beginning to realize that is due to perspective distortion.  The farther away from the center an object is, the more this distortion and discrepancy. 

For example a model of a person (let's say, an action figure toy) with its arms straight out will show this problem immediately.  The body will be nearly perfect, but the lasers will not agree on the arms at all.

I'm wondering if there's a way to account for this problem and remove/correct it mathematically?

pirvan wrote:

Yes, Cartman was scanned with v.1.6

I like the fact that it doesn't linger over one spot trying over and over like the old version used to.  It's definitely faster than the previous version.

I'm still having problems with the left and right scans not matching, but I'm beginning to realize that is due to perspective distortion.  The farther away from the center an object is, the more this distortion and discrepancy. 

For example a model of a person (let's say, an action figure toy) with its arms straight out will show this problem immediately.  The body will be nearly perfect, but the lasers will not agree on the arms at all.

I'm wondering if there's a way to account for this problem and remove/correct it mathematically?

I think two things could be causing this.  One is that the lasers aren't "perfectly" aligned and the other is that the software is having trouble detecting the center of the laser when only half of the laser is in contact with the object.  I have just implemented a software calibration feature that will detect and correct for any misalignment in the lasers.  I've only began the testing but the results are pretty impressive so far.  This feature will be included in FreeLSS 1.7.  I then plan on looking into improving laser detection with partial laser on target.

After rereading your post, I think it is caused by the laser misalignment issue.  The impact of this should be much diminished in FreeLSS 1.7.

OK, so how do I realign the lasers?  Take a look at my other posts, specifically the link below, to see how I aligned the lasers, and let me know what I'm doing wrong:

http://www.soliforum.com/post/97554/#p97554

18 (edited by pirvan 2015-06-06 16:59:31)

hairu526 wrote:

I think two things could be causing this.  One is that the lasers aren't "perfectly" aligned and the other is that the software is having trouble detecting the center of the laser when only half of the laser is in contact with the object.  I have just implemented a software calibration feature that will detect and correct for any misalignment in the lasers.  I've only began the testing but the results are pretty impressive so far.  This feature will be included in FreeLSS 1.7.  I then plan on looking into improving laser detection with partial laser on target.

If I understand this correctly, a taller object, one that would be covered by most of the laser beam (at least as the camera sees it), would not suffer from this problem. 

I'll try to find a taller object to scan, and post the results.

http://soliforum.com/i/?v1WkUML.jpg

from http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:18218

Atlas3D scanner, Reprap Prusa i2 3D printer

nice 1st scans! how long did they take to scan? also do you have the printed 'calibration item'? its needed when following the 'getting started instructions for both laser and camera calibration plus be sure to save final calibrations. quite a bit of stuff to do/redo tweaking them. I am ready to try scans next time I have for 3D printer "Playing" as my Wife calls it lol

Solidoodle 2 with Deluxe kit cover & glass bed with heater. and 2nd board SD2 used not 3rd and alum platform not installed yet still wood. also need cooling fan installed to board. use Repetier Host couple vers. Slic3r also have all free ware STL programs

21 (edited by pauljacobdegroot 2016-02-25 02:00:21)

Scan took 15 mins in 5 Megapixel mode.
I don't have the calibration item since my 3d printer broke down and I need to repair it. I took a wooden square block to calibrate the scanner.
The important steps are:
1. turn table needs to be in alignment with the camera otherwise you can double scans and weird effects
2. laser lines need to be parallel and meet it each other in the middle of the turn table
3. there is a button (Freelss 1.19) that aligns the laser lines via software (freeware version probably does not have that feature)

Note: It took a while to get to  usable scans (2 days). Once you get a scan working than you can tweak it via turning one the laser (when the scan has a tapered/misaligned end) or move the camera position (alignment with platform and height position to remove the turntable parts from the scan). The cross hairs seems not important.
note 2: The stl's produced by Atlas are not usable. I use the PLY files and use meshlabs to clean and process them. Not much cleaning is usually required, just a few pixels here and there. the poisson filter 13,7,1,1 settings seems to work the best for creating smooth surfaces.

Atlas3D scanner, Reprap Prusa i2 3D printer

"the poisson filter 13,7,1,1 settings seems to work the best for creating smooth surfaces."

where is this? in meshlab or Atlas settings? I just got my scanner and it came with the version 1.14 still and says no updates available when clicking to check. it dont seem to really check though its to fast snapping that response to actually check the site.

also my scanner takes a bit over 2hrs to do a scan but could be some other settings besides just camera MP cause it. I see some settings that could multiply my scan times much more if used, like delays, steps, pause etc all cause longer waits for even previews and test results I have found

n2ri,

The latest version is 1.14.  If ATLAS 3D says "There are no updates available." then you already have the latest version.  You can verify that it is indeed checking by unplugging your network cable/WiFi adapter.

= Uriah

pauljacobdegroot wrote:

Scan took 15 mins in 5 Megapixel mode.
I don't have the calibration item since my 3d printer broke down and I need to repair it. I took a wooden square block to calibrate the scanner.
The important steps are:
1. turn table needs to be in alignment with the camera otherwise you can double scans and weird effects
2. laser lines need to be parallel and meet it each other in the middle of the turn table
3. there is a button (Freelss 1.19) that aligns the laser lines via software (freeware version probably does not have that feature)

Note: It took a while to get to  usable scans (2 days). Once you get a scan working than you can tweak it via turning one the laser (when the scan has a tapered/misaligned end) or move the camera position (alignment with platform and height position to remove the turntable parts from the scan). The cross hairs seems not important.
note 2: The stl's produced by Atlas are not usable. I use the PLY files and use meshlabs to clean and process them. Not much cleaning is usually required, just a few pixels here and there. the poisson filter 13,7,1,1 settings seems to work the best for creating smooth surfaces.

15 minutes was fast.  Did you use both lasers and how many steps did you use?