1 (edited by NogginBoink 2013-01-26 02:52:24)

Topic: Newbie: prints curling off bed

Hello all!

New Solidoodle user here, I got my printer yesterday and have made several aborted attempts at printing. I started with a keychain from Thingiverse and have also tried a keychain I modeled myself in Sketchup.

I had initial problems with the ABS not adhering to the bed. I came here and did some reading and am now trying a plate of glass with hairspray.

In all cases, the corners of my model started curling up from the bed, which led to a crash with the extruder, which pulled the part off the bed, which led to me hitting the abort button.

I've been printing with my bed temp at 90 degrees, both on the Kapton and on the glass.

What can I do to solve this problem? (Might it be related to the slicer putting the rows too far apart? I'm about to start another thread on that topic.)

(Edit: replaced 2MB .jpg with a 124kB version.)

Post's attachments

DSC_0432.jpg
DSC_0432.jpg 123.55 kb, 2 downloads since 2013-01-26 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Re: Newbie: prints curling off bed

Hard to tell from the pic.. but is that just kapton? if so, have you cleaned it? if not use acetone and a new paper towel just several wipes across the bed in both directions and also you might raise the bed a tiny bit... just make it so a piece of 20lb paper will fit snugly between the printhead and the bed... check in several spots about a half inch in from the edge(back left, back right, front right, front left)

From what I can tell, you need to increase your bed temperature, I usually set mine anywhere from 95-100. 

Also make sure your Z-Offset is set correctly, because on the picture you provided, the screws are poking through your Kapton,  which leads me to believe you're over compensating for your Z offset with your bed leveling screws.

Try that, and let us know what happens!

Thanks, guys!

This print was made on a sheet of glass that had been washed with dish soap and coated with the wife's hairspray. The bed temp was set to 90. The glass was attached to the bed with three binder clips.

aFoote, you are correct that the bed screws on my printer are not sufficiently countersunk. The heads do protrude from the bed, which probably limits the thermal conductivity between the bed and the plate of glass. This is disappointing; I don't think Solidoodle should have shipped the printer with that manufacturing defect present.

I did adjust the Z-setscrew after clamping the glass to the bed with binder clips. I think I got reasonably close to ideal.

I'll try again with a higher bed temp and more thorough cleaning of the glass before I apply the hairspray. My garage workshop is currently in storage (long story) but when I get my tools out I'll try drilling the countersink holes a little deeper to get better mating between the bed and the glass. It's probably easier for me to do that than to ship the bed plate back to Brooklyn for drilling.

I appreciate your feedback, and I'll report back with results. (Which may take a while as I need to order filament.)

I'd also try using slic3r and turning on the "brim" option.  That helped a lot for me, as often no only the brim will curl instead of the print.

I use a bed temperature of 80, so high temperatures are not essential.  It is important that the first layer be put down so that it sticks.  The brim is very useful.  I also set the speed for the first layer to 25% of full speed.  I set the Z height using a piece of paper (so that I can just get the paper to go under the head) and then lift the bed about 1/4 turn (using the Z axis adjusting screw on the back wall)

My screws would actually stick up like that if i screw them up too high,  You're able to make them go back down though.

Jon, the first layer does appear to adhere to be bed well enough; it just starts to curl upwards as the plastic cools. If it didn't curl, I think there'd be no problem with the first layer sticking well enough.

I wonder-- would an enclosed printer help? Could it be that my part is cooling too quickly? I'm using the Pro model of the printer, which has the heated bed but an open frame.

Its very possible your issues are related to being without a cover.  Nearly anything would help you out,  even cardboard could be a case material. Give it a try, the key is you don't want drafts of air blowing over the part or the machine in general.  A case will help stabilize every thing.

When I first started printing on kapton my prints that were larger than a couple of inches would always start to curl within 10-20 layers so i cleaned the kapton with soap... that helped but still got curl... so I cleaned with alcohol, that helped even more but still curling prints so next i tried various cleaners chemicals and brake cleaner that worked pretty good curling was at an all time low but still there.... so somewhere along the line I tried acetone... low and behold it worked!!! no curl on prints nearing 80 percent of the bed coverage, needless to say I was impressed! Now that is all I use when printing on kapton, I heat the bed to ~94C use brim and first layer at 198 for light colors ABS... there is a downside to this however it is very hard to get the ABS off of the bed even after it cools I usually have to take a razor blade and carefully slide it under the edge of the print at a very low angle being careful not to dig into the kapton tape, it usually takes about 2-3 minutes of sliding the blade around the edges to finally make the bed let go of the print. And I also do not print with a cover over the machine, it is in a heated room however at around 65F an d no drafts from windows or outside doors.

ronsii wrote:

When I first started printing on kapton my prints that were larger than a couple of inches would always start to curl within 10-20 layers so i cleaned the kapton with soap... that helped but still got curl... so I cleaned with alcohol, that helped even more but still curling prints so next i tried various cleaners chemicals and brake cleaner that worked pretty good curling was at an all time low but still there.... so somewhere along the line I tried acetone... low and behold it worked!!! no curl on prints nearing 80 percent of the bed coverage, needless to say I was impressed! Now that is all I use when printing on kapton, I heat the bed to ~94C use brim and first layer at 198 for light colors ABS... there is a downside to this however it is very hard to get the ABS off of the bed even after it cools I usually have to take a razor blade and carefully slide it under the edge of the print at a very low angle being careful not to dig into the kapton tape, it usually takes about 2-3 minutes of sliding the blade around the edges to finally make the bed let go of the print. And I also do not print with a cover over the machine, it is in a heated room however at around 65F an d no drafts from windows or outside doors.

I think in the grand scheme of things it is most important to identify the cause of your curling before solutions are sought. Some folks have a warp to their aluminum platform that is causing the curling. This seems like a likely candidate in these intractable cases as we don't actually get a lot of that here in the shop - warped platforms seem in line with shipping damage. If higher temperatures and sticking additives don't help, I'd imagine something was wrong.

Former Solidoodle employee, no longer associated with the company.

Just to be clear here, I do not have a curling problem now that I clean the bed with acetone in fact my SD2@ completed a 7 inch by 1.5 inch by nearly 3 inches tall early this morning and it turned out great!. I think the main problem I was having was a contamination issue... grease, oils, etc... that the other cleaners would not take care of on the kapton. I have also been slowly bringing down the temps to see how low I can push ABS for good bonding of layers vs. extruder temps(relative) but my previous post reflects what works now. I realize that ABS prints of this size are tricky even with a heated enclosure just because of the properties ABS has, so for larger items I have a different printer I use PLA in and it does not have a heated bed however it is on the list of things to make just so I have the option with that printer big_smile

BTW. My bed is flat right now, if/when it does warp due to heating cycles/whatever I have full machining capabilities here to remedy the problem... of course like most things I am usually short on time so a lot of projects don't get done until they are forced to smile

Acetone was wonderful for kapton tape. Even being switched over to glass I won't let myself take off that original piece that works so well.

ronsii,

Thanks for the details of what works! One question: I just went into the Slic3r configuration and it has a "Brim width" setting. Mine is defaulted to 0 mm any idea what yours is set to?

wayn wrote:

ronsii,

Thanks for the details of what works! One question: I just went into the Slic3r configuration and it has a "Brim width" setting. Mine is defaulted to 0 mm any idea what yours is set to?

I have mine set at 1.5 right now but in an ever changing state of experiments that may change soon wink And remember just because of the differences in temps between one machine and the next you may need to adjust a little up or down... same thing goes for different filaments or environmental changes, but those numbers should be a good starting point. It is the same for PLA I found that between different spools of filament(same supplier) I would have more than 8 degrees of temp change for the exact same print characteristics, it is just hard to nail down standard settings for too much with all the different variables going into the mix smile