Topic: Laser color.

Uriah;

I have been contemplating this for a while and at one point someone contacted me about my own scanner asking the same question. Typical camera CCD's have twice as many green pixels than any other color. Is it possible to use freelss with green lasers? Or will the software get confused? I see green modules have dramatically dropped in price in the past few years since I was looking for them. This can put them within the reach of most people. While roughly 2x the price of red modules they may be worth a shot. Some of them are claiming ultra fine laser lines as well.

The theory is simply to have a laser that is not so badly affected by ambient light as well as a laser that is less susceptible to reflections on shiny surfaces.

Does this theory hold any water?

-Bruno M.

Re: Laser color.

FreeLSS primarily uses pixel intensity changes to detect the laser line, so any color laser should work though some better than others.  I've tested with blue and red lasers and they both worked fine.  That being said, I introduced a secondary test for red pixels in version 1.5 to better differentiate the laser from the background.  However, I plan on making this an optional setting since it takes more Pi processing power and is not necessary for those that have the scanner facing a back drop.

Re: Laser color.

That is very interesting. I am currently testing with your new version. I have been chasing some red hearings with it. For one I seemed to have bumped one of my lasers, even so the scan was suprisingly good. The second thing I cannot fully explain is the software once installed took the .freelss.properties from my original setup just fine. Then I had a crash of the software and figured why not reboot the PI. At that point the .freelss.properties was reset to the default values and my old profile disapeared. I should have backed that up in retrospect.

I have two theories on this at the moment.

- My SD card is going bad. (I write the freelss logs to a directory on auto start) I may move these to my NAS in the future.
- My pi is loosing stability for reasons unknown.