Topic: Hatchbox ABS Temperatures

Hi all,
I was wondering what everyone is using for temperatures on Hatchbox ABS filament. I am using Red, just to let you know. The first few layers are sticking but the are pretty sloppy, after the first 10 layers or so the print is much smoother. My temperatures are 90C on the bed and 217C on the extruder. Any suggestions are much appreciated.

Re: Hatchbox ABS Temperatures

I print at 230 and on a 90C bed and it works very well.

FuseBox 1.5 CoreXY - e3dv6 - Graphic Smart Display
Solidoodle 2 - e3dv6 - Hobb Goblin - e3d Titan - lawsy carriages - Direct Drive Y Axis - T8 Z axis - OctoPi

3 (edited by heartless 2015-05-19 02:06:41)

Re: Hatchbox ABS Temperatures

every printer/hotend is going to be different, and every roll of filament will be different on different printers. sure, we can tell you what we use, but that doesn't mean it will work for you/your situation

My suggestion is to do a temperature calibration print to see what works best for your printer with that filament.

I do a 25x25mm single wall cube (no infill) of some height (100mm or more), start out at a cooler temp that still extrudes well, then increase by 5 degree increments every 25 layers or so  (the gcode can be edited after slicing/before printing to make the temp changes automatic)

For ABS i usually start around 215-220 and run it up to around 240-245 (this is with an E3D v6 hotend - my stock SD4 hotend was much lower)

you are looking for good layer adhesion, smoothness, and no cracking when the hollow cube is compressed.

SD4 #1 & #2 - Lawsy carriages, E3D v6, Rumba controller board, mirror bed plate, X motor fan, upgraded PSU & Mica bed heater
SD4 #3 - in the works ~ Folgertech FT-5, rev 1
Printit Industries Beta Tester - Horizon H1