Topic: SMART+3DP: Free your 3D Printer. BE SMART+, BE FREE

SMART+3DP: Free your 3D Printer. BE SMART+, BE FREE!
Remember old times when printers had to be connected to your computer? This is happening to 3D Printers now! There are thousands of 3D printers on market, each of them with unique features and others in common. The vast majority of printers have USB connection and require a dedicated computer connected to them, in order to operate, this is about to change in a few days, thanks to SMART+3DP.

SMART+3DP new version will be powered by Windows 10 IoT on a Raspberry PI 2. The actual version is powered by Linux.

SMART+3DP is a:

3D Print controller
Free you from USB attachments and connecting cords. With the touchscreen system, you can manipulate your printer from the SMART+3DP device itself. The system allows you to rotate, scale, and prepare the 3D model before 3D printing. You can slice with Cura (And other slicers) locally or using our cloud, and even repair your 3D file before 3D printing.

3D Print Kiosk
Use SMART+3DP as your personal or commercial 3D Print Kiosk by connecting a big Touch Screen or Monitor, Keyboard & Mouse bundle. SMART+3DP allow to set use limits (Per user, Time, Filament and schedule) or to bill the jobs by Schedule (DoW),Time and used filament combination in a 2 level authorization, prepaid or postpaid basis.

3D Print server
SMART+3DP Offers a complete system of autonomy for your 3D printer, you only needs a wireless connection to completely control printing from a phone, tablet, smart TV, or traditional computer system. At home using your local Network or from everywhere using our secured Cloud services.

Source: http://3dprint.com/61959/smart3dp-wireless-touchscreen/

http://www.drotix.com

http://soliforum.com/i/?40SE9PF.jpg

Re: SMART+3DP: Free your 3D Printer. BE SMART+, BE FREE

All this post is missing is the "As seen on TV!" tagline :-).

3 (edited by jagowilson 2015-05-08 21:26:41)

Computers are the primary way to control 3d printers for a lot of good reasons, which you actually seem to recognize by offering a keyboard+mouse combination. Pointing on large touch screens really isn't all that enjoyable, especially with the day to day of 3d printing like adjusting slicer settings, which is a fair amount of typing. Besides, there's really no way to beat the efficiency of saving your CAD model as an STL and your host having an immediate update available, oriented, and ready to slice. That's what rapid prototyping is all about.

But both are better than LCD-only control.

4 (edited by Buda3D 2015-05-09 14:46:29)

jagowilson wrote:

Computers are the primary way to control 3d printers for a lot of good reasons, which you actually seem to recognize by offering a keyboard+mouse combination. Pointing on large touch screens really isn't all that enjoyable, especially with the day to day of 3d printing like adjusting slicer settings, which is a fair amount of typing. Besides, there's really no way to beat the efficiency of saving your CAD model as an STL and your host having an immediate update available, oriented, and ready to slice. That's what rapid prototyping is all about.

But both are better than LCD-only control.

You right I'm usually start my jobs from my computer (Exporting the model from Rhino or browsing some models library)... But! If you use your USB printer connected to your computer, after the job starts you must left your computer tied to your 3D printer until job ends, in the other way if you use a SD to transfer job you'll need an extra work and you can only control what happens to your job from the limited controls offered by your printer. When I use SMART+3DP I start the job by exporting an STL from Rhino to the SMART+3DP shared folder, from this point I use my web browser to rotate, scale and fix the model (All using the same interface), select slicing engine and parameters (From cura, skeinforge, Slicer and others), setting pauses in some layers (If you want to change color) and launch the job. After that I can turn off my computer or just use it to whatever I need and you can monitor the job in real time from your phone, tablet or any web browser, change parameters, receive notifications and so on.

It looks pretty slick, but, since I don't leave my printer unattended while it is running, and I have a "strong" enough computer running it now so that I can use the browser or 'whatever' at the same time, I don't see the need to spend money on something like this.

the only mention I see of price is $75 - for which version? Lite? Basic? or Premium?

I guess there will always be a market for ready to go stuff like this, for those that don't want to mess around setting up their own (for maybe half the cost) as many have already done...

Good luck with it.

SD4 #1 & #2 - Lawsy carriages, E3D v6, Rumba controller board, mirror bed plate, X motor fan, upgraded PSU & Mica bed heater
SD4 #3 - in the works ~ Folgertech FT-5, rev 1
Printit Industries Beta Tester - Horizon H1

Just going to put this here:
http://octoprint.org/

SD3. Mk2b + glass, heated enclosure, GT2 belts, direct drive y shaft, linear bearings, bowden-feed E3D v5 w/ 0.9° stepper
Smoothieboard via Octoprint on RPi

control 3D printing from a smart TV? really?? my so called 'smart TV' cant even tell me whats coming on next on the channels LMAO. my lil Laptop does much better job of this tiny gimmick. and does it with like 5 times as many devices simultaneously. I wouldnt use this if it was free sorry. maybe see if Solidoodle techs want one or how ever many their rack of 24 3D printers needs

Solidoodle 2 with Deluxe kit cover & glass bed with heater. and 2nd board SD2 used not 3rd and alum platform not installed yet still wood. also need cooling fan installed to board. use Repetier Host couple vers. Slic3r also have all free ware STL programs

This device actually looks interesting to me. If webcams are included in the "certified cameras" listed in the features, I might buy one.

grob wrote:

Just going to put this here:
http://octoprint.org/

Yup