Topic: ABS versus PLA

Since my Solidoodle 2 (Pro, with the heated bed) should arrive shortly it's time to order some filament.

What, in your personal opinion and experience, would you recommend to a 3d printing newbie? ABS or PLA?

I read about this a lot and somehow favor ABS. But what are your experiences?

Thanks in advance!

Re: ABS versus PLA

That is a good question, I would like to know that too?  I bought my SD3 and also 2 spools of ABS.

PLA sticks better to the bed. The bed does not need to be on when printing with PLA in most cases. Also the extruder does not need to be as hot. (About 180 instead of 195-200 with ABS). If you get PLA I recommend getting some Blue painters tape to put on the beds as that allows the prints to come off easier. Also PLA smells like corn when you print while ABS smells really BAD! ABS also warps more than PLA and I have had so many more failed prints with ABS than with PLA. Overall, I would recommend PLA.

I'm about to dip my toe in the water with PLA. I'm sick of the struggle of keeping large prints from warping or lifting at the edges.

I was under the impression that because PLA was biodegradable that the parts would break down noticeably but reading up tells otherwise.

Warping issues aside I think its a little easier to work with the abs, but this is coming from a guy that has yet to work with pla.

I would stay with ABS as that is what most people here have been using and we  can provide better troubleshooting while you get your printer calibrated and start to understand it.  I would wait to try out PLA until you feel comfortable with the basic usage of the solidoodle and like the quality you are getting in your prints.

ABS with an enclosed build space, glass & hairspray you can't really go wrong.  I have little to no problem with lifting with that combination.  Trick is to soak the glass around the perimeter of your part, give it half a minute to get tacky and then start the print.