Topic: Makerbot PLA

Some of our projects are too large on a flat surface to use ABS, and we had amazing results with Makerbot PLA on a Rep 2. We purchased a sample pack from Makerbot and now I'm just getting the settings dialed it. Anyone else currently use or have used this filament with a printer other than a Makerbot? After some research I found that Makerbot melts their filament at 230C, which is a lot higher than usual for PLA. I tried 190C for a little while with good results, but have since dropped to 180C. What temps are you using with Makerbot PLA?

FuseBox 1.5 CoreXY - e3dv6 - Graphic Smart Display
Solidoodle 2 - e3dv6 - Hobb Goblin - e3d Titan - lawsy carriages - Direct Drive Y Axis - T8 Z axis - OctoPi

Re: Makerbot PLA

Makerbot is among the best PLA filaments I've tried. The printed part looses next to no color like can be seen from cheaper PLA of poor quality. It's a shame MB PLA costs $45+. For me, it's not worth the cost. I would be singing another tune if it were at least $5 cheaper.
I had good results between 210-218 depending on speed and cooling

Printit Mason and Printit Horizon printers
Multiple SD2s- Bulldog XL, E3D v5/v6/Lite6, Volcano, Hobb Goblin, Titan, .9 motor, Lawsy carriages, direct Y drive, fishing line...the list goes on
Filawinder and Filastruder #1870.....worth every penny!

3 (edited by jagowilson 2015-05-05 19:59:12)

+1, MakerBot PLA is the bees knees. I have access to a (mostly) unlimited supply in my lab wink  I used temps as low as 180 with my e3d v6.

www.3dfilaments.ie We are supplying ABS and PLA  filaments tested on Makerbot. Just 19 euros for 1kg spool. We are sending free samples.

The makerbot black PLA is hands down the nicest looking filament I've used. It looked amazing, almost like carbon fiber, all the lines were smooth and concave area that would fit a CO2 canister came out spectacular! Def buying more for the school and for me at home smile

Solidoodle 2 - e3dv6 - Hobb Goblin - e3d Titan - lawsy carriages - Direct Drive Y Axis - T8 Z axis - OctoPi

Since then I've tried out several more colors with varying degrees of success. Orange I can't get to work consistently, but when I do get it to work it looks great. Haven't gotten purple to work at all yet.

Makerbot Blue is another wonderful one.