Topic: 15 yr old revolutionizes 2d printing

http://socialbroadcastnetwork.com/51562 … the-market

http://orbprinter.com/

Sorry if someone already posted this but this is interesting it states he had developed his own language to run the printer is and if they can deliver on the speed. however i think that the turn table idea will only work on smaller prints.

Re: 15 yr old revolutionizes 2d printing

Not only just smaller parts, but also maybe only cylindrical and symmetrical ones also. I'm just thinking that something oddly shaped will create a lot of vibration and centrifugal force if it is spun quickly.

Maybe that's why we see a cup in the printer.

-Prusa i3 MK2s
-Airwolf HD2x w/ E3D v6 + Volcano
-Custom built Solidoodle 3 clone w/ E3D v6+ Volcano    -Solidoodle Press w/ E3D Lite6
Filastruder #1577

Reading the website it says that the Orb uses  some sort of custom magnetic filament to help it cling to the spinning turntable. Clever code could produce shapes other than circular ones, if it moves the extruder outwards at the same rate as it spins for example, you could get a straight line. All depends how clever that new programming language is. I look forward to hearing more about this. I do dislike proprietary filaments though. Still, it's only proprietary until it catches on! I assume the first car would have been considered to have a proprietary fuel.

Smart kid. Dammit.

This is not a new concept as far as the rotating bed goes and it has some serious drawbacks.  The farther from the center the print the less accurate it becomes.
The interesting part will be G-code replacement code.  Of course he doesn't give any real details about that.
When it comes to speeds the main issue with any FDM printer has always been how fast you can melt the plastic.
His layering of heat cartridges is not a bad Idea but there are already hot ends on the market that accomplish the same thing such as E3d's Volcano.

At 15 years of age I say Kudos and good luck!

But I don't see any earth shattering developments here.

Printit Industries Model 8.10 fully enclosed CoreXY, Chamber heat
3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL
Thanks to all for your contributions

5 (edited by josh.aeauto 2015-04-30 15:24:21)

Goshdarnit wrote:

Reading the website it says that the Orb uses  some sort of custom magnetic filament to help it cling to the spinning turntable.

I guess it just depends on how fast it spins. If it's fast enough, it could shake the whole printer.

orbprinter.com wrote:

Much like a record player, the disc spins while the extruder moves over it. By rotating at high velocity, it allows objects to print much faster.

-Prusa i3 MK2s
-Airwolf HD2x w/ E3D v6 + Volcano
-Custom built Solidoodle 3 clone w/ E3D v6+ Volcano    -Solidoodle Press w/ E3D Lite6
Filastruder #1577

Yeah,.... Lets see it in action 1st.

SD2 - Glass Bed, Fans on PCB and Y motor, Custom enclosure
Slicer - Simplify3D