Topic: which project to start next?

should I build a resin printer next or an oversized solidoodle? Resin printers seem to be getting popular but I'd also like to do larger objects on a solidoodle. Which to do first? opinions?

Re: which project to start next?

Well, I've started fooling around with a core xy design (which may or may not ever actually work :-).

http://home.comcast.net/~tomhorsley/har … orexy.html

do the sla printer as i would like to do one of those and would love to have someone to ask for pointers

guess I'll accept that challenge

Manx wrote:

do the sla printer as i would like to do one of those and would love to have someone to ask for pointers

I have started building a SLA in my free time. I stopped once I saw the carbon3D video since all I have left to build is a tension vat. I cant decide if I should try and build a continuous SLA printer or a traditional one with a flex vat/tilt mechanism. It would be nice to have someone else on here posting results.

Theres plenty of info on here and also plenty about the type of vat needed for continuous printing.

Check out http://www.buildyourownsla.com/

www.Revolve3D.com
[email protected]
3D Printer Filament, ABS Pellets, PLA pellets, Colorant, and Accessories

I'm ordering parts and starting mine tonight. It'll be nice to have our own group on here

Update. All parts ordered. Going to start building the cabinet today and primer it

I just wanted to share this. I've been considering how i will build my sla printer i'm considering using the tantillus as a base for the case design. however most 3d printers i have seen show a orange or yellow case around it to help block uv from curing the resin prematurely. so i decided to experiment some on case design and this is an idea i came up with to make it a bit more decorative it will need work however  please elt me know what you think i'm using art neaveao design elements and designing in tinker cad for now

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:780127

This case isn't just to keep ambient UV away from the resin, an even more important purpose is to keep the UV from the projector inside the case and away from your eyes!

A question I have about the core  xy design is : Is there stable firmware to run it since the math is different than repeat motors for the x and y.
Y was talking to the developer of the beagle bones K9  cnc cape  the board is ready to go but no stable software to run it.
I noticed somewhere that was mention that marlin was dropping support for the core cnc  version of the firmware.
what  firmware do you plan to use .

Tin

Soliddoodle 4 stock w glass bed------Folger Tech Prusa 2020 upgraded to and titan /aero extruder mirror bed
FT5 with titan/ E3D Aero------MP mini select w glass bed
MP Utimate maker pro-W bondtech extruder
Marlin/Repetier Host/ Slic3r and Cura

Tin Falcon wrote:

A question I have about the core  xy design is : Is there stable firmware to run it since the math is different than repeat motors for the x and y.

I plan to use a smoothieboard and the smoothie firmware already has built in support for just about any printer configuration anyone has ever thought up (including core XY, delta, etc).

Claghorn wrote:

This case isn't just to keep ambient UV away from the resin, an even more important purpose is to keep the UV from the projector inside the case and away from your eyes!

yes i do know about the eye protection for the people outside of the box but the question is what do you think has anyone made it a decorative piece?

I've built a solid door on my sla cabinet. I'm just going to put a window on it made out of the translucent red plexiglass for looks

Manx wrote:
Claghorn wrote:

yes i do know about the eye protection for the people outside of the box but the question is what do you think has anyone made it a decorative piece?

i was gonna do either a red transparent backer or orange with a grey printed plastic for the door

Where I'm doin top down. A wiper isn't necessary correct?

I don't think it is. I believe you just dip the part down slightly then back up for the next layer.

www.Revolve3D.com
[email protected]
3D Printer Filament, ABS Pellets, PLA pellets, Colorant, and Accessories

17 (edited by shields1.as 2015-04-22 18:19:29)

good deal. This gave me an idea. I'm drawing up a design where you could have an sla/and filament feed printer. just with  a few adjustments. mostly a new style of bed.

Revolve3D wrote:

I don't think it is. I believe you just dip the part down slightly then back up for the next layer.

let me know how to convert STL to SVG in Slicer without printer settings as Iboxe Nano wont say

Solidoodle 2 with Deluxe kit cover & glass bed with heater. and 2nd board SD2 used not 3rd and alum platform not installed yet still wood. also need cooling fan installed to board. use Repetier Host couple vers. Slic3r also have all free ware STL programs

got the SLA topdown printer all asembled and hooked up. Just got to raise the bed and slide the vat of resin in when it gets here. I think it's going to work out well. Ready for testing next week. I built it larger than needed so I go bigger or smaller. Using Creation Workshop software to run it.

http://soliforum.com/i/?4SV64oV.jpg