1 (edited by metaldrgn 2015-04-10 03:41:37)

Topic: PET+ filament

Just wanted to do a quick review of the PET+ filament.

This is awesome stuff and I would recommend getting some if you have an upgraded hot end that can reach 250C. My ideal settings with the E3D v6 are 232C/80C. It costs over twice as much as PLA. It prints like PLA on kapton tape, has similar low shrinkage, and it's strong! It's more flexible than ABS, but less than nylon. Layer adhesion is really nice too. It seems to have a low friction coefficient, but not as good as nylon. It seems like it may benefit some from being fan cooled (at least for supports?) although I'm still designing my fan ducting.

Anyone else try this stuff?

Re: PET+ filament

Hi there,

I've written a short article on PET+ if you wanted to have a quick read. http://www.ink3d.ie/about-pet-filament/

Have you fine tuned the fan cooling yet?

Nice article. It's good seeing the specs for it.

No not entirely. It's pricey stuff so I don't do a lot of printing with it, but it looks like it needs a good amount of cooling to prevent sagging for layers with small path. The 5mm cube is a good example w/ the 75mm^2 surface area starting to show sag/degradation and the 25mm^2 showing noticeably more. It decreases as the fan is turned up. There are other tricks to allow the layers to cool first to prevent sagging like using a prime pillar or whatever the slicer can do for layer cooling including slowing the layer speed down. It just takes more time/material. I think there is a point where layer slow down actually hinders layer cooling when it gets below a certain size/radius.

I forgot to mention warping is a non-issue. It's even better than PLA.

I'm also curious what the differences are between PET+ and PETG because I know it's less expensive and supposed to be strong.

4 (edited by scobo 2015-06-09 12:18:15)

I received a free sample of PET+ with some filament I ordered recently.
It printed beautifully on my Da Vinci at 220C which I was suprised by.
On one print I tried with some really small and fine detail, I used a layer fan and it came out perfect.
The stuff I received was translucent red and had a lovely glossy sheen to it. Very impressed with it !

Davinci 1.0 with repetier firmware & E3D V6 Lite
Anycubic Photon DLP printer, Einscan-S 3D scanner
Simplify3d, 123D Design, Meshmixer
http://www.thingiverse.com/scobo/designs