Topic: Changed from 1.75 to 3mm, now having problems

Hi all, I am having a little bit of an issue, was hoping someone might be able to point me in the right direction.

I started out extruding 1.75mm filament for my Makerbot and had no issues. Had a very consistent diameter and ran into no issues extruding.

I recently purchased an Airwolf printer, which uses 3mm filament, so I have changed my filastruder accordingly. After changing the nozzle, I am now having trouble extruding a consistent diameter. It likes to stretch a lot under the least amount of pressure. (For example, if there is a bend in the filament, when the bend reaches the winder, it will pull the filament causing it to stretch drastically)

Has anyone else had this issue? Any suggestions?

By the way, this is happening with PC and PC-ABS.

Thanks in advance.

-Prusa i3 MK2s
-Airwolf HD2x w/ E3D v6 + Volcano
-Custom built Solidoodle 3 clone w/ E3D v6+ Volcano    -Solidoodle Press w/ E3D Lite6
Filastruder #1577

Re: Changed from 1.75 to 3mm, now having problems

Isn't the filament hard by the time it hits the winder? How is it stretching?

Perhaps lower the temperature a bit, and/or add cooling? I haven't ever done 3mm PC/PC-ABS.

It's stretching at the nozzle. It'll stretch to almost just a thread.

I've tried lowering the temperature, and it helps a little, but I twisted the barrel doing so. I let it get too cold and the plastic seized up.

-Prusa i3 MK2s
-Custom built Solidoodle 3 clone w/ E3D v6+ Volcano    -Solidoodle Press w/ E3D Lite6
Filastruder #1577

4 (edited by josh.aeauto 2015-03-31 14:48:48)

I've also tried adding cooling. I went so far as to print a fan shroud to fit over the nozzle and used an industrial 120mm fan. It still didn't help, although I think it had an adverse effect by making the PID think it was cooler than it actually was, causing it to actually heat up more.

Edit: corrected the fan size

-Prusa i3 MK2s
Filastruder #1577

richh001 wrote:

...threaded adapters and a 1/4 inch drilled out plug, insulate everything, but expose the 1/4" plug into the cooling fan area, thereby giving more time for the plastic to cool down.

I drilled out the 3/4 Red for the thermocouple, and moved the heater to the farthest end, and flush of the the threaded coupling that came with Filastruder.

Can you upload a picture? I'm having a bit of trouble visualizing what you're saying.

-Prusa i3 MK2s
Filastruder #1577

Thanks for the pictures. I will give that a try. Thanks again!

-Prusa i3 MK2s
Filastruder #1577

I love the Dr. Pepper can insulator; did you put some kind of insulation inside the can? I could imagine that might be a good way to put some expanding foam insulation on the barrel. I don't like the idea of the fiberglass insulation in my house; I covered the stock insulation with Kapton tape and plan on not removing it until I can find some non-fiberglass replacement.

redoverred wrote:

I could imagine that might be a good way to put some expanding foam insulation on the barrel.

I'm not sure regular expanding foam would be able to handle the temperature. Good idea though, would make great insulation.

-Prusa i3 MK2s
Filastruder #1577

9 (edited by josh.aeauto 2015-04-03 13:09:48)

richh001 -

I ended up ordering an adapter (with threads on the inside) and a 1/4" solid plug. Should be in today, I'll let you know how it works.

-Prusa i3 MK2s
Filastruder #1577

10 (edited by josh.aeauto 2015-04-07 18:25:53)

I bought my PC / PC-ABS off ebay. I've tried calling companies that sell it but they lose interest when I tell them I'm only interested in 50-100 pounds. I always get "I'll email you", "I'll see what we have and call you back", or "call so-and-so (insert competitor)".

I found a decent deal on some PC-ABS from this seller. It was about $150 for a 50lb box. He still has a couple more boxes for sell along with a lot of other plastics.

richh001 wrote:

How do you like your HD2x?

I like it, it was definitely an upgrade from the MakerBot. It prints fast, can reach high temperatures with no problem, and the quality is great. I guess the thing I like most is Airwolf's support. I had a problem with one of the couplings and they sent a replacement out the same day with no questions asked.

-Prusa i3 MK2s
Filastruder #1577

Seems to have worked. I am now getting tolerances of about 2.75 +/- 0.05 with no stretching.

http://i.imgur.com/1ZXjmxi.jpg

-Prusa i3 MK2s
Filastruder #1577

That's interesting, and thanks for sharing!

What is the output speed?
What materials are the adapter and the plug?
Is the plug solid or cored?
What diameter did you drill for 3mm Polycarb extrusion?
Did you use 1/8" NPT or 1/4" NPT as the final size?

I'm guessing that the threads between the reducer and the nozzle lower the nozzle temperature further, allowing the filament to cool without solidifying.

I guess the downside to this is it makes a melt filter nozzle more difficult to implement.

elmoret wrote:

That's interesting, and thanks for sharing!

What is the output speed?
What materials are the adapter and the plug?
What diameter did you drill for 3mm Polycarb extrusion?
Did you use 1/8" NPT or 1/4" NPT as the final size?

I'm guessing that the threads between the reducer and the nozzle lower the nozzle temperature further, allowing the filament to cool without solidifying.

I guess the downside to this is it makes a melt filter nozzle more difficult to implement.

I will get back with you on the output speed.

The adapter is brass and the plug is steel. I did this because steel conducts heat less.
For the hole I used a 3mm drill bit.
The final size is 1/4 NPT.

The melt filter could be a problem. The only thing I could see would be to add 1/4" NPT treads to an existing melt filter nozzle, but that might be more work than it's worth.

http://i.imgur.com/K5vug1E.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/goJe6Jx.jpg

-Prusa i3 MK2s
Filastruder #1577

Hmm. I think with a 1/2" x 1/8" reducer there'd be enough area for a melt filter nozzle.

Steel is more of a pain to machine, slower at least and goes through tooling faster. Would be best to keep the melt filter geometry on the brass bit.

I don't see why not. But I wonder if it'd effect anything having less surface area to cool.

-Prusa i3 MK2s
Filastruder #1577

Less surface area to transfer heat as well.

I'll try to explore this. None of my machines use 3mm so I haven't had much need for 3mm, but it sounds like this might be useful for folks doing non-ABS materials at 3mm.

Thank you for sharing, josh/rich! If others have questions, I'll point them towards this thread so they can try it out and report back.

Sounds good. I'll keep an eye out to see what you find. Let me know if I can help in any way.

-Prusa i3 MK2s
Filastruder #1577

Only remaining data is an output speed report. We know the normal nozzle did 1.75mm filament at 24"/min. 3mm filament has 2.93 times the area, so I'd expect ~8"/min at 3mm if the nozzle isn't affecting anything.

elmoret wrote:

Only remaining data is an output speed report. We know the normal nozzle did 1.75mm filament at 24"/min. 3mm filament has 2.93 times the area, so I'd expect ~8"/min at 3mm if the nozzle isn't affecting anything.

8 was a good guess. It is averaging exactly 8" /minute.

-Prusa i3 MK2s
Filastruder #1577

richh001 wrote:

but, first use a 3/4 X 1/2 brass female adapter, then 1/2 X 1/4 steel female adapter to minimize heat conductance, then a drilled 1/4 brass plug for a nozzle. That way, everything is easily drilled.

There are no 3/4" parts on a Filastruder. Everything is 1/2" NPT. Just don't want folks to buy the wrong thing.

You are correct, for some reason I get the 2 mixed up and always thing 3/4 is 1/2.
My eyes are old and dim.
I will change my posts...

This is it.............

Drill and tap 1/2" nozzle with melt filter to 1/4 NPT.
Install 1/4 X 1/8 steel male-female adapter
then install 1/8" Brass plug drilled out to filament size.
Insulate all the way down to tip of brass nozzle.
Use a aluminum can heat shield with hole in the bottom, and adjust according to how much tip cooling you need.
No Teflon tape.

Tighten all fittings after a good heat-up

Nice idea, I've thought about that. I think I have a 1/4" NPT tap already as well.

How's the output rate and diameter tolerance looking relative to your previous solution?

24 (edited by richh001 2015-04-09 17:28:27)

It might have slowed down a little bit.

5-maybe 6 inches/Min.
2.85 ~ 2.86 mm.----------real good tolerance.
PLA
I would say that there is also a bit less duty cycle on the heater.

I like having the melt filter back in.
I don't have a clue to what will happen with ABS, but, it shouldn't be a big deal.

As you know, even the smallest changes will change the thermal properties of everything.......

I am now wondering what will happen if the thermocouple gets moved to the end nozzle...

richh001 wrote:

I am now wondering what will happen if the thermocouple gets moved to the end nozzle...

If you move the thermocouple farther away from the heater, then I would think that would make the barrel hotter, or at the very least it would cause the temperature to fluctuate more. I don't know much about thermodynamics, just a guess.

-Prusa i3 MK2s
Filastruder #1577