Re: Lighting the scanned object

oh, I did not know it had those abilities also. very cool! so how many file types can in write in?

Solidoodle 2 with Deluxe kit cover & glass bed with heater. and 2nd board SD2 used not 3rd and alum platform not installed yet still wood. also need cooling fan installed to board. use Repetier Host couple vers. Slic3r also have all free ware STL programs

PLY - Colored Point Cloud
XYZ - Comma Delimited 3D Point Cloud
STL - 3D Triangle Mesh

elmoret wrote:

STL files don't have color data, so it'd be a different file type, but yes. Also to import to 3D modeling software for say, a video game.

...or for an independent movie, CG artwork, a 3D product display, etc.

so can makerbots scanner do all that?

Solidoodle 2 with Deluxe kit cover & glass bed with heater. and 2nd board SD2 used not 3rd and alum platform not installed yet still wood. also need cooling fan installed to board. use Repetier Host couple vers. Slic3r also have all free ware STL programs

and meshlab can take those formats and convert them to several other formats, including, but not limited to .3ds (autodesk 3-d studio) .obj (alias-wavefront) and .dxf (autodesk autocad)

n2ri wrote:

so can makerbots scanner do all that?

AFAIK the makerbot scanner does not support color or give access to the raw point cloud.

- Uriah

thought so. it also has lower quality camera and cant operate on anything older than Windows 7 which they did not even know when I asked them about it saying so in their own add. thats why I got an Atlas. ;^)

If anyone is interested in lighting levels for a typical LED white lighting strip, I made some illumination measurements the other day.  The maximum current at 12V is about 75mA. 

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ … nteractive

The setup I am using has a light-tight box enclosure to eliminate ambient light.  The inside surfaces are covered in black material plus 1/2" thick layers of black foam to reduce reflections of the lasers (still not 100% successful).
The 11 white LEDS are attached to a printed bar which sits below the camera and spans across to each laser arm, where they are screwed on. This also provides additional mechanical stability for the lasers.  This arrangement provides good uniform frontal illumination of the object, but is not ideal for emphasising small surface detail, as it creates a "flat" colour surface.  The next step will be to add vertical light strips either side of the turntable to create a more oblique lighting angle as an optional light source.

I am currently using freelss v11 which has manual control of lighting level only.  I assume that Atlas3D users with more recent s/ware have some form of closed-loop control of level.

Reprap Prusa x1 ,  Reprap G frame Prusa x1,  OpenBuilds OX CNC x1, FreeLss/Ciclops 3D scanner x1

Byrom wrote:

gpio mode 3 out
gpio write 3 1        (to enable 4.5v)

Dumb question:  Can I do this from a terminal window, or do I need to make a batch file or python script?

The gpio command is available from the command line.