1 (edited by Oldsirhippy 2015-04-18 09:39:09)

Topic: Da Vinci printer Cartridge "factory" reset

Not sure whether this may be of interest to anyone. I like the cartridges, as I find them a neat and quick way to load them into the machine. My open reels tend to unravel very quickly and tangle.

I messed up an eeprom in one of my cartridges with my original resetter and I needed to reset the cartridge to original settings, so had to modify the original voltivo code below to include a "factory" reset and I also wanted further temperature settings. The original cartridge settings are from the UK, and Red ABS.

For original Voltivo code see:
https://github.com/voltivo/davinci_fila … _eprom.ino

The code in the attachment was programmed into an Arduino Pro Mini V3.0 similar to this one:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/131456978616? … EBIDX%3AIT

Then placed inside this housing:
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:553056

See first and second images. (8886 and 8887)

The 3 pins  that make the connection to the eeprom are "Spherical Radius Tip Spring Loaded Test Probes Pins", these were bought from an Amazon seller based in China, took a while to arrive! See image (8888).

To run this - compile the code with the arduino IDE, once done, place the cartridge on the housing pins and open the serial monitor in the Arduino IDE (in tools) and select an option in the serial monitor by typing 1,2 or 3:

Menu options 
1 = eeprom read
2 = reset eeprom
3 = read eeprom then reset and increment serial number

See screen read image.

Notes:

• The pins were 2mm diameter, so drilled a 2mm hole to push the pins through the top housing.

• The pins are 3mm proud on top.

• Solder the wire to the pins before inserting them into the top housing. Otherwise the ABS/PLA housing will melt around the pin.

• Then carefully superglue the pins on the inside of the housing top.

• The Arduino Pro Mini V3.0 uses a very short USB lead, usually supplied with the board, long cables may not work.

• The temperatures and filament length need to be modified as per original voltivo code. Go down to the Variables section in the code below where the temperature and length options to be commented out are located

• Default extruder temperature is set to 210 degrees C and bed is set to 90 degrees C, though both can be changed.

• Bed temperatures other than 90 have not been tested.

• Extruder temperature is limited to 230 degrees C by the firmware.

• Filament lengths may be set to 240m or 120m.

• This works on my DaVinci XYZ V1.0A with FW 1.0.1, not connected to Internet.

• Read the excellent Voltivo explanations on how to set up the arduino board and how to use their code!

Post's attachments

DSCN8886 (640x480).jpg 165.26 kb, 5 downloads since 2015-03-18 

DSCN8887 (640x480).jpg
DSCN8887 (640x480).jpg 204.48 kb, 7 downloads since 2015-03-18 

DSCN8888 (640x480).jpg
DSCN8888 (640x480).jpg 203.5 kb, 5 downloads since 2015-03-18 

screen read.jpg
screen read.jpg 93.27 kb, 7 downloads since 2015-03-18 

XYZ_eeprom_manager.ino 16.04 kb, 309 downloads since 2015-03-18 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Re: Da Vinci printer Cartridge "factory" reset

This is awesome.  Thanks for the info.  I have been looking to update my resetter.

3 (edited by georgehine 2015-03-19 17:01:44)

very well done. thank you. how did you know your chip was corrupt to start with?

Da Vinci 1.0 stock firmware and stock xyzware.
3D printer Noob.
Stock ABS filaments

Kept getting 0's and random characters which were nothing like the original characters. I suspect it was the way I was using my old resetter which was rather a 'Heath Robinson' design ! Specifically the way I connected to the eeprom, where the connection to the device was a hit and miss affair.

The design with the thingiverse carrier (Thanks to dimensionbx) and the sprung connectors works reliably.

Disliking searching the original code to un-comment a line or enter a hex value for a particular temperature which is error prone, I decided to change bed and extruder temperatures together with filament lengths from the serial terminal in the Arduino IDE. Doing this means that any extruder and bed temperature may be selected from 0 to 255, however not all of these values are guaranteed to work. The firmware may decide lower and upper bounds for the temperature settings. Upper bound for the extruder temperature is 230 degrees C. I haven't experimented to find upper and lower bounds for the bed temperature or lower bound for the extruder.
Does anyone know these figures for stock firmware and cartridges ?

There are only 2 settings for the filament length 120m and 240m, I didn't include any others as I am not sure how the firmware would respond.

The code works but would not win any prizes in a C writing competition, so apologies to C experts who would find much more elegant ways of coding this.

There is minimal error checking, so if you make a mistake start again. If you type something that isn't one of the options you will get the menu options again.

Improvements to software options:

r = eeprom read
  f = reset eeprom
  w = read eeprom then reset and increment serial number
  exxx = set extruder temperature from 000 to 230 then write to cartridge and increment serial number
  bxxx = set bed temperature from 000 then write to cartridge and increment serial number
  p1 = set filament length to 120m and increment serial number
  p2 = set filament length to 240m and increment serial number

Option explanation:

r - read eeprom - to check that all's well with the cartridge eeprom settings.

f - is factory reset, extruder at 210 degrees, bed at 90 degrees and filament length at 240m, original serial number.

w - is to increment the serial number maintaining the same extruder and bed temperature settings.

exxx - where xxx are 3 digits representing the temperature for the extruder - any value from 0 to 230 degrees is valid. Above 230           degrees and the firmware will not heat the extruder. You must enter 3 digits so 95 degrees is entered as 095.

bxxx - where xxx are 3 digits representing the temperature for the bed - any value from 000 to 255 degrees may be entered, but anything above 090 has not been tested. You must enter 3 digits so 90 degrees is entered as 090.

p1 - set filament length to 120m and increment serial number.

p2 - set filament length to 240m and increment serial number.

If you have programmed the last code, it is just a matter of placing the cartridge on the resetter and compiling the code and sending it to the Arduino Nano V3.

Post's attachments

XYZ_eeprom_manager_additions.ino 18.6 kb, 188 downloads since 2015-03-23 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

hi everybody, im new to forum and im future owner of davinci ☺
anyway, i find this eeprom reseting very interesting and i have one idea in which i would like to assist.

i was thinking about arduino with 2.6" touchscreen display with microsd card where user can store settings for all filaments he have and when he wants to print with for example yellow from form futura, he just choose it from list on that display.... i think it would be cool thing to have.... whhat you guys think about it? does anybody want to get involved in this idea with me? i has so much arduino projects until now and i just love it!

zet-jaro wrote:

hi everybody, im new to forum and im future owner of davinci ☺
anyway, i find this eeprom reseting very interesting and i have one idea in which i would like to assist.

i was thinking about arduino with 2.6" touchscreen display with microsd card where user can store settings for all filaments he have and when he wants to print with for example yellow from form futura, he just choose it from list on that display.... i think it would be cool thing to have.... whhat you guys think about it? does anybody want to get involved in this idea with me? i has so much arduino projects until now and i just love it!

Issue with that is that yellow you get from brand x today will not be same as the yellow you get from from the same brand tomorrow. The properties which affect print temp and speeds change enough from batch to batch that you have to tweak per roll. I have a test cube I print for every roll so I can see what settins need to change and how.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

I know that it depends from brand to brand but possibility to make your own database on SD card I find somehow useful. Unless its a big difference from roll to roll (rolls from the same supplier and same color), then it doesn't have any sense

zet-jaro wrote:

I know that it depends from brand to brand but possibility to make your own database on SD card I find somehow useful. Unless its a big difference from roll to roll (rolls from the same supplier and same color), then it doesn't have any sense

Might want to re-read my post. I said a roll of the same color from same brand and vendor a month later will have enough difference that you will need to change settings. Its just the nature of the material. So storing profiles will only give you a ballbark to atleast get a print going on a new roll.

10 (edited by zet-jaro 2015-03-27 23:06:43)

i think i understood it after first reading. which brand are you using?

also idea was in case user have 2-3 cassettes and like 10-15  rolls so he has to flash it more often... i mean, if i had 10+ rolls, i would have to make myself some excel sheet with temperatures and everything bc i would definetly forget a lot of parameters so i was thinking how cool that would be to have stored parameters in arduino directly ☺ just would have to understand the coding of current eeprom

zet-jaro wrote:

i think i understood it after first reading. which brand are you using?

also idea was in case user have 2-3 cassettes and like 10-15  rolls so he has to flash it more often... i mean, if i had 10+ rolls, i would have to make myself some excel sheet with temperatures and everything bc i would definetly forget a lot of parameters so i was thinking how cool that would be to have stored parameters in arduino directly ☺ just would have to understand the coding of current eeprom

I have been printing over 6 years and have used nearly every brand out and some no longer out. I have seen the same characteristics in every brand. The only time you will get consistency and not have to modify speed and temps is if you are able to get your next roll from the same batch as the last.

This same inconsistency holds true even for the higher end name brands like Hatchbox and even Makerbot.  I tried a spreadsheet to track settings and even made profiles for my slicer which was and is Cura based on color and brand but even then I still had to make changes once I did a print and saw the results.

I mean feel free to do what you are trying. But you are going to find it will be unreliable and only get you in the rough area for a color/vendor. Ideas always sound cool and possible till actually put into practice then you find the hang ups and short comings.

12 (edited by zet-jaro 2015-03-28 07:28:13)

ok, so tell me are the speeds written in eeprom? is there any explanation of this eeprom data? as far as I understood, in eeprom is stored material, filament diameter, extruder temperature, bed temperature and serial number. anything else?

i am engineer in automotive industry, couple of years as production and maintenance engineer and at the moment robot precommissioning engineer :-)

zet-jaro wrote:

ok, so tell me are the speeds written in eeprom? is there any explanation of this eeprom data? as far as I understood, in eeprom is stored material, filament diameter, extruder temperature, bed temperature and serial number. anything else?

i am engineer in automotive industry, couple of years as production and maintenance engineer and at the moment robot precommissioning engineer :-)

If you are running stock filament on stock firmware you have no control of speed. But most who use third party filament also use Simplify 3d so they have full control of temps and speed.

In stock the speed is dictated by the resolution you choose and you take what you get. Same for temps all though they are stored on the cart and could be edited. You have no access to speeds however without flashing or using S3D.

well thats good information because it is then easier to build a database, or should I say, it possible to store more "rolls" in the database smile so is anyone interested in joining me in this project?

15 (edited by zet-jaro 2015-03-29 14:28:23)

Well, I successfully made reading from csv file from SD card. As you can see, on the left side is arduino program, on the right side in the background is CSV file and on the right side in the foreground is output from arduino. So Arduino reads the whole file and stores it in his arrays. At the moment I dont have a touch screen at home, I have to order it but its not so expensive, just have to wait long time to get it sad

http://soliforum.com/i/?oPGBd5X.png

I think first thing I will do when touch screen arrives is to make it possible to change the parameters on the display and then burn them in EEPROM from filament cassette so you dont have to connect with PC on arduino and change the source-code to change a temperature wink

@admins: Am I hijacking the post or should I open a new one?

That's a question for the OP if they think your post is unrelated then you should move it.

Printit Industries Model 8.10 fully enclosed CoreXY, Chamber heat
3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL
Thanks to all for your contributions

OP? is that topic owner? I feel like I hijacked but also it could be so called "Cartridge re-setter development topic" smile

@zet-jaro. Your project sounds interesting. If you look at the second arduino code posted above, the menu allows you to read the EEPROM, set temperatures etc. without altering the code. There is just the USB cable from the PC to the arduino in the housing that the cartridge sits on. So you could adapt that code for your project with an arduino with a touch screen, it might save you a lot of time.

zet-jaro wrote:

OP? is that topic owner? I feel like I hijacked but also it could be so called "Cartridge re-setter development topic" smile

Original Post/Poster and he seems fine with it but I would suggest a new topic.  This would make it easier for future users to find what they are looking for.  Besides you have some interesting stuff there that is definitely worth it's own topic.

Printit Industries Model 8.10 fully enclosed CoreXY, Chamber heat
3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL
Thanks to all for your contributions

20 (edited by zet-jaro 2015-03-29 17:00:57)

Ok, I will create new topic and I think I will definitely use some part of Oldsirhippy's source code to transfer parameters to EEPROM smile

Oldsirhippy wrote:

@zet-jaro. Your project sounds interesting. If you look at the second arduino code posted above, the menu allows you to read the EEPROM, set temperatures etc. without altering the code. There is just the USB cable from the PC to the arduino in the housing that the cartridge sits on. So you could adapt that code for your project with an arduino with a touch screen, it might save you a lot of time.

I would be glad if you would like to join on this upgraded project smile

hy everyone; sorry for my bad english...
i tested the code to reset the cartridge but if i test the updated code that can change everithing by the new menu, it doesn't seem to work, but if i test the old one with only 3 possibilities, it was ok.

Can anyone help me using the second one, it will be intresting to change evrithing...

thanks

@ToniPons. What are you typing on the serial monitor?

In the first code only 1,2 or 3 are allowed

In the second code  r,f,w,exxx,bxxx,p1,p2 are allowed. Where xxx is the temperature.

What response do you get when you type any of these options on the serial monitor?

thanks for the reply
with the first code it's all ok, i use 1, 2, 3, and i can read and write eprom. In the second code i try r, f, w, and nothing appear, in the serial monitor i can see only the menu, bat nothing else.

@ToniPons - Sorry to hear of your difficulties. It made me wonder whether the code had downloaded correctly - so I downloaded it, clicked on the file and it opened in Arduino. I then did an upload and tested it with the Arduino pro mini. It worked fine. So I am baffled as to why your system works OK with the first code and does nothing with the second.
I have included an image of what you should see - the menu and a dump of the eeprom via menu option r which is read.

Do you see the line which says 'You entered: >r<' - this shows what you entered - do you get that line when you enter r ?

http://soliforum.com/i/?FaUAs2T.jpg

sorry but when i enter "r" i don't see nothing, only the menu....now i try redownload arduino .....