Re: Flexible PLA - Anybody tried this?

One more thing; back off the tension on the idler to where it just holds securely.  Too much tension riddles the Flex PLA with teeth marks which can also contribute to the buckling.

SD2 - Stock - Enclosure - Heated Bed - Glass Plate - Auto Fire Extinguisher
Ord Bot Hadron - RAMPS 1.4 - Bulldog XL - E3D v6 - 10" x 10" PCB Heated Build w/SSR - Glass Plate
Thanks for All of Your Help!

I have been messing with this and have had limited success. Of course the problem is still bucking after the extruder drive. I have tried all sorts of speed and temperature settings.

I seem to have improved it by mounting a small section of PTFE tubing between the drive and the top of the hot end. This helps  give some lateral support to the filament. I had to rig up a mount for the tubing to keep it straight and rigid.

For smaller prints, this is working fine now, but on larger prints it will eventually buckle enough to jam in the tube...

its just really soft stuff.

I also bought a spool of Ninjaflex, so we will see if that works any better.

Post's attachments

photo (6).JPG
photo (6).JPG 2.19 mb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Ninja Flex sounds good, they claim it feeds fine. It should for $50. I'm trying to talk them into releasing samples so we can see for ourselves.

Robox printer, HICTOP (Prusa i3 variant) Model 3DP17 printer, ELEK 2.5W laser engraver, AutoDesk 123D Design, Windows 10

29 (edited by downeym 2013-10-16 19:06:04)

After playing with it, I didn't notice much difference between that and the flex pla.  Both had similar feeding issues.

I was able get some successful prints, but it required babysitting. Both finished prints are quite flexible.

I did an experiment with the flex pla where I did a few layers of flex and switched to standard pla to see if they would bond, but it didn't bond very well. I wanted a rigid structure with a flexible joint..

30 (edited by Heartlander 2013-10-17 18:17:20)

I too wanted the rigid/flexible thing. I came down to what they can a "living hinge", basically a thin section where you want it to bend. Like a thousand shampoo bottle cap designs and such. ABS can function quite well at this if the duty cycle is not too heavy. It may last a few dozen low-stress bends before breaking.

To try it, print a rectangle about 2MM thick with a center hinge segment running across the width of the rectangle. Make the hinge about 2MM wide and .75MM thick. Maybe taper the edges of the transition down at an angle and out about .5MM for good form and to transmit some of the stress back into the body of the rectangle. Kinda like:

\__/
____

Robox printer, HICTOP (Prusa i3 variant) Model 3DP17 printer, ELEK 2.5W laser engraver, AutoDesk 123D Design, Windows 10

31 (edited by downeym 2013-10-17 18:26:28)

I was trying to design my own version of my Wife's iphone case. They also had 2 different materials used, one quite flexible.

ABS doesnt like to deflect much without creating plastic deformation and discoloring. I would be worried about bending it as much as you see in the picture. The Flexible PLA would have been perfect if I could get it to bond to normal PLA... Maybe I need to play with the temperatures more

http://www.incipio.com/images/Features/Learn_More/iPhone/iPhone-5/iPhone5_Stashback_CallOutFeature.jpg

downeym wrote:

I was trying to design my own version of my Wife's iphone case. They also had 2 different materials used, one quite flexible.

ABS doesnt like to deflect much without creating plastic deformation and discoloring. I would be worried about bending it as much as you see in the picture. The Flexible PLA would have been perfect if I could get it to bond to normal PLA... Maybe I need to play with the temperatures more

http://www.incipio.com/images/Features/Learn_More/iPhone/iPhone-5/iPhone5_Stashback_CallOutFeature.jpg

Just a thought...if you were to build in a matrix of 1mm diameter holes in the PLA parts; and then print over that with the flex at about 2-300% first layer, would the flex flow through the surface holes and help the bonding by mechanical means.

Ord Bot Hadron - RAMPS 1.4 - Bulldog XL - E3D v6 - 10" x 10" PCB Heated Build w/SSR - Glass Plate

I am sure it would help, but I don't think it would solve the entire problem. I need them to chemically bond to each other. Apparently even though it has the name PLA, the flexible stuff is chemically different enough to not bond.

After printing the second layer type, it peeled off quite easily for me...

I am sure it is possible, but maybe not with this material... might need to try Nylon instead.

I am developing a product that I plan to have injection molded. One of the companies that excels in that kind of work is at  Protomold.com. They have a thing you can order for free called the Proto Polygon. It shows different types of injection-moldable plastics along with their bendability and surface appearance properties. I'm looking at mine now. Glass-filled nylon won't bend, the hinge test on it breaks off. Maybe Taulman's nylon would be better.

The materials to do hinge well are TPE, HPPE and... you guessed it, ABS. I have bent the ABS hinge back and forth about a couple dozen times, bending it all the way back on itself. It is starting to split in the middle a bit but still works. I don't know how many times you expect to bend your iPhone case open but I think it would last me for a good while. The thinnest part of the hinge is .68MM.

BTW, I had my wife stitch me up a wallet of Tandy Imitation Alligator cowhide. It holds dollars as well as credit cards, DL etc. and my "pen glasses" (reading glasses the size of an ink pen). It also holds my Android phone. I've used it for three years and love it. It protects the phone from drop-and-breaks, some weather and looks as good as the day it was made.

I put self-adhesive Velco dots on the phone as well as the wallet. I can rip the phone out if I want or, usually, I just bend the wallet backwards and talk with the phone still attached to the wallet. All the checkout counter clerks ask me about it, so hey, you KNOW its cool.  smile

Here's a couple pics without the phone in it (I'm taking the pic with the phone).

Post's attachments

wallet1.jpg
wallet1.jpg 31.04 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

Wallet2.jpg
Wallet2.jpg 1019.34 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

BTW, you could probably get ABS and PLA to bond with Contact Cement.

Bumping to see if any more progress has been made in the way of flexible filaments. IronMan stated he would give an update.

...sativas are for smoking!

creationblur wrote:

Bumping to see if any more progress has been made in the way of flexible filaments. IronMan stated he would give an update.

Sorry, I didn't know anyone was waiting for an update...but here is a recap of what I've done to run the EcoFlex Black:

After countless misfeeds/coiling up of the filament above the extruder and six failed prints, I finally got it dialed in.  The stuff is not very rigid and will not feed well into the heater core unless the temp is just right, otherwise, it will corkscrew:
- Adjust all print speeds to no more than 10mm/s
- Extruder temp setting in RH and Slic3r at 185c - or Hotend temp at 210-215c
- Print on glass with no hairspray
- 6mm brim
- Bed Temp at 45-50c
- Filament feed into the extruder directly from above; it will bind if trying to feed through any guides

The next most important issue is the print speed.  I was running 10mm/sec on the first layer which printed just fine, and then forgot to adjust the speed to 10 on the subsequent layers.  They were set to 30mm/sec and it started to buckle immediately.  Make it 10mm across the board (except for travel=130mm/sec) and it should work fine.

One more thing; back off the tension on the idler to where it just holds securely.  Too much tension riddles the Flex PLA with teeth marks which can also contribute to the buckling.

Thanks for the update IronMan!

...sativas are for smoking!

Ordered some ... will post my findings in a few days ...

Did your cartridge fail? Can't purchase a new one anywhere? Give your existing cartridge new life with http://wctek.com/xyz

-     Love this stuff, I've made quite a few creations involving this material. I've used it for some heavy duty applications and so far its holding up very well.

Used if for the following so far:
- Rubber gasket for air compressor
- Plunger O-Ring
- Vacuum cleaner belt (Oreck vacuum; It only lasted for a few hours, but that's pretty damn good for not having any thread lining)
- Transmission cover for motor cycle (exposes material to oils, moderate heat, and fuel fumes)
- Pellet gun seal (Constantly coated in oil)
- Bicycle Grip
- Door stop bumpers

So far I've come to these observations:
- Very resistant to oils and moderate corrosives
- Doesn't like glues or cements (If anyone finds a good bonding agent for this material please respond to this or PM me)
- Very strong layer bonds
- Good flexibility and shape return after flexing

I do a short review of the 'Flex EcoPLA' material HERE: goc3d.blogspot.com/2014/11/3d-printing-filament-basic-review.html

I have some tips on keeping it adhered to the bed HERE: goc3d.blogspot.com/2014/11/3d-printing-tips-strength-accuracy.html

*FYI; 'Flex EcoPLA' in not a PLA material, its actually a TPC (Thermoplastic Co-Polyester)