Topic: Flexible PLA - Anybody tried this?

Hey
Came over this great youtube video of a guy showing off flexible PLA;

Anybody tried something like this?

So many things that this could be usefull for..

Re: Flexible PLA - Anybody tried this?

Merko wrote:

Hey
Came over this great youtube video of a guy showing off flexible PLA;

Anybody tried something like this?

So many things that this could be usefull for..

I want some.  There are many applications where I could use that.

SD2 with E3D, SD Press, Form 1+
Filastruder
NYLON (taulman): http://www.soliforum.com/topic/466/nylon/

Found it here but only comes in 3mm

I wish someone in the US would get this. The shipping price is insane!
$46 for 100m + $49 shipping = Almost $100 for 100 meters.

dmeehl wrote:

It's probably not the biggest seller at the moment.

Former Solidoodle employee, no longer associated with the company.

solidoodlesupport wrote:

Could be a chicken and egg problem. For me, I wont buy it because the shipping is as much as the plastic itself. If the shipping was at all reasonable, I bet a lot of US 3d'ers would want some.

I'd buy a roll if I could find a 1.75 source.

same here. Did anyone try the 1.75 wood filament yet (if it is in stock)?

Grand Rapids, Michigan
SD2 with Sanguinololu board, glass bed mod, E3d_v5 bowden version hotend (currently direct drive), Lawsy Mk5 jigsaw replacement, octopi printserver, drv8825(tiny troubles)

dmeehl wrote:
solidoodlesupport wrote:

Could be a chicken and egg problem. For me, I wont buy it because the shipping is as much as the plastic itself. If the shipping was at all reasonable, I bet a lot of US 3d'ers would want some.

I'm surprised at the lack of variety in the filament market myself.

This place called makergeeks.com have it now, and free shipping in the USA

**It won't let me add a link. I am still waiting on my Solidoodle 2 and have not made enough posts

dmeehl wrote:

Tammy
Solidoodle 2
E3Dv6 Hotend, MK5 v6 version, Glass Bed, Anti Z backlash slop nut, SureStepr SD8825 1/32 Extruder Driver, makeshift breakaway plexiglass case; . L-Cheapo 3.8 Watt Laser Attachment w/Custom built enclosure
From Buffalo, NY, USA

11 (edited by LdyMox 2013-05-16 12:19:32)

Well it seems makergeeks.com doesn't have it now because it seems the quality was bad on the type and batch they had gotten. I don't think it was pla but something else.

There is 1.75mm SoftPLA in natural and Black -> http://www.formfutura.com/3d-printing/ … tural.html

Problem is the shipping to the USA would be $50 alone. That' 500 grams for like $40 plus the $50 shipping. Though it seems if I add extra rolls the shipping doesn't seem to go up

I sent them a message asking if they had a US supplier and they said not yet since it only has been out a few weeks

Tammy
Solidoodle 2
E3Dv6 Hotend, MK5 v6 version, Glass Bed, Anti Z backlash slop nut, SureStepr SD8825 1/32 Extruder Driver, makeshift breakaway plexiglass case; . L-Cheapo 3.8 Watt Laser Attachment w/Custom built enclosure
From Buffalo, NY, USA

12 (edited by LdyMox 2013-05-17 19:57:38)

Here is a place to get SoftPLA in 1.75mm and 3mm (Store in the USA)

http://www.makergeeks.com/flsofi.html

SoftPLA AKA FormFutra Flex EcoPLA

0.5 Kg rolls; Black or Natural. 3.00mm or 1.75mm. $45.95 and free shipping in the USA. (If you happen to be in Europe you maybe better off ordering straight from FormFutra as they are in Europe). Given the other prices I have seen for similiar SoftPLA it is a good deal (especially for me in the USA)

They say 2-3 weeks shipping time right now because they just ordered a pallet from the maker of the filament AKA FormFutra and it will be sent to them in about 2 weeks. I have been talking to the makergeeks.com site person, Joshua and was looking for SoftPLA and especially in 1.75mm and he is getting this stuff in. I ordered some other things from makergeeks.com and they came just fine and all. Still waiting on my Solidoodle 2, so can't test anything yet.

Tammy
Solidoodle 2
From Buffalo, NY, USA

I imagine this would work really well in the place of a rubber seal for the inner lip of a watertight boxe

andrew.demczuk wrote:

I imagine this would work really well in the place of a rubber seal for the inner lip of a watertight boxe

Perhaps. We've never tried anything like that.

Well sounds like something to try smile

Tammy
Solidoodle 2
From Buffalo, NY, USA

LdyMox wrote:

Here is a place to get SoftPLA in 1.75mm and 3mm (Store in the USA)

http://www.makergeeks.com/flsofi.html

SoftPLA AKA FormFutra Flex EcoPLA

0.5 Kg rolls; Black or Natural. 3.00mm or 1.75mm. $45.95 and free shipping in the USA. (If you happen to be in Europe you maybe better off ordering straight from FormFutra as they are in Europe). Given the other prices I have seen for similiar SoftPLA it is a good deal (especially for me in the USA)

They say 2-3 weeks shipping time right now because they just ordered a pallet from the maker of the filament AKA FormFutra and it will be sent to them in about 2 weeks. I have been talking to the makergeeks.com site person, Joshua and was looking for SoftPLA and especially in 1.75mm and he is getting this stuff in. I ordered some other things from makergeeks.com and they came just fine and all. Still waiting on my Solidoodle 2, so can't test anything yet.

I just ordered some, I'll post when I've tried it!

SD2 Sanguinololu 1.3a atmega1284p, wood platform, lawsy's carriages, braided fishing line, pallet wood overhead spool mount, carboard/magnet enclosure, glass bed, E3D v6, bed levelling knobs, extended z-stop, 25A DC-DC SSR for bed heater, everything fixed to the SD2 frame, marlin firmware with some adjustments and extra failsafes enabled.  I'll never give up on you, little printer that could(n't)!

Me too! smile

Tammy
Solidoodle 2
From Buffalo, NY, USA

Iam got a kilo of flexible eco PLA from formfutura and some laywoo as well waiting for my printers as soon i can will post my experience with it.

makergeeks.com (US based) just got their pallet of the Flexible PLA (I asked them) and now can ship it out to people. yea! I have no idea what I am going to print...but seems like fun!

Tammy
Solidoodle 2
From Buffalo, NY, USA

I was going to print some O-Rings and Gaskets with it possibly...

I want to hear more about this stuff.

SD2, glass bed, MK5 setup with E3D lite extruder
NX and Solid Edge CAD user
PI, Galileo, and arduino hacker
Code Monkey and Twitter user @burhop

I just received some of the black Flex Eco from Makergeeks this weekend...

After countless misfeeds/coiling up of the filament above the extruder and six failed prints, I finally got it dialed in.  The stuff is not very rigid and will not feed well into the heater core unless the temp is just right, otherwise, it will corkscrew:

- Adjust all print speeds to no more than 10mm/s
- Extruder temp setting in RH and Slic3r at 185c
- Print on glass with no hairspray
- 6mm brim
- Bed Temp at 45-50c
- Filament feed into the extruder directly from above; it will bind if trying to feed through any guides

Printed awesome after getting these dialed in.  The parts are virtually indestructible!  Can't show any pics as the item I'm working on is in development and not yet Patent Pending.

SD2 - Stock - Enclosure - Heated Bed - Glass Plate - Auto Fire Extinguisher
Ord Bot Hadron - RAMPS 1.4 - Bulldog XL - E3D v6 - 10" x 10" PCB Heated Build w/SSR - Glass Plate
Thanks for All of Your Help!

That is 185 with the solidoodle hot end? That means 205 actual melt temp?

I was trying the same material yesterday with an e3d hot end at 210 and I kept getting buckling ini the filament between the stepper and hot end enterance.

It is very flexible stuff. Looks intriguing if we can fix the buckling issue.

downeym wrote:

That is 185 with the solidoodle hot end? That means 205 actual melt temp?

I was trying the same material yesterday with an e3d hot end at 210 and I kept getting buckling ini the filament between the stepper and hot end enterance.

It is very flexible stuff. Looks intriguing if we can fix the buckling issue.

Yes...185c on the setting - I think maybe around 210-215 on the hot end.  I'm using the stock SD2 hot end.  Bump up your e3d by 5 deg or so...

The next most important issue is the print speed.  I was running 10mm/sec on the first layer which printed just fine, and then forgot to adjust the speed to 10 on the subsequent layers.  They were set to 30mm/sec and it started to buckle immediately.  Make it 10mm across the board (except for travel=130mm/sec) and it should work fine.

SD2 - Stock - Enclosure - Heated Bed - Glass Plate - Auto Fire Extinguisher
Ord Bot Hadron - RAMPS 1.4 - Bulldog XL - E3D v6 - 10" x 10" PCB Heated Build w/SSR - Glass Plate
Thanks for All of Your Help!

ah.. good to know.. so hot and slow... I will give it another shot tonight...