Topic: How to increase max extruder temp in repetier host?

anyone know now to increase the max extruder temp in repetier host? The highest I can go is 240 degrees

Re: How to increase max extruder temp in repetier host?

it's under the printer settings under the extruder tab. Why would you need to go above 240? If you are running a stock head, it will damage it going over 240. Also there are very few things that need to print that high. I was printing at 235 and had to go down as it was causing clogs from over cooking the filament.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

I would agree with Carl maybe you could benefit from doing a PID autotune.
http://www.soliwiki.com/PID_tuning

Printit Industries Model 8.10 fully enclosed CoreXY, Chamber heat
3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL
Thanks to all for your contributions

Hi trying to increase the max temp just for a min or so to get a clog out.

I have the setting at 280 but 240 is as high as it will let me go? not sure why?

hansen644 wrote:

I have the setting at 280 but 240 is as high as it will let me go? not sure why?

A stock hot end won't survive 280 so it would be better to pull it off and take it apart for cleaning.

3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL

hansen644 wrote:

If you are having to print at that high of a temp then your real temp is not being reported correctly. You should never have to go above 220 or 230 at max for ABS. If you go above 235 it will cook the filament in the heat zone of the head and cause it to clog and it is a royal ( as in disassemble) pain in the A$$ to clean up.

I would get a thermometer that uses contact and can measure that high to confirm your head is reaching the actual set temp. The IR non contact thermometers don't measure the temp correctly because the source is so small.

If you must go higher then in RH Click on printer settings on far right top. And then click the Extruder Tab. The max settings are there. you can also edit them in the EEPROM data.

MAX temp can NOT be changed via EEPROM.

wardjr wrote:

MAX temp can NOT be changed via EEPROM.

Sorry, thought I saw it there but your right. You can still set it in the extruder tab, although it is ill advised.

For sure in this case ill advised.  Fix the clog or buy a new hot end preferably an all metal hot end.

Hansen- I do not know which printer you have, but the max temp is hard set in your board's firmware. Simply flashing the firmware to a higher setting will not help since a stock PEEK hotend will become damaged as wardjr stated. Upgrading to an all metal hotend like an E3D v6 will require some simple assembly and updating firmware (3 lines to be specific...one of which is max temp up to 285c).

I have been using E3D exclusively for over a year now. I have only had one clog...but that was sleep deprived user error big_smile

On a sidenote, what material is it clogged with? ABS can be dissolved in acetone, PLA will require a torch without the ability to heat more than your current setup.

Printit Mason and Printit Horizon printers
Multiple SD2s- Bulldog XL, E3D v5/v6/Lite6, Volcano, Hobb Goblin, Titan, .9 motor, Lawsy carriages, direct Y drive, fishing line...the list goes on
Filawinder and Filastruder #1870.....worth every penny!

PLA can be dissolved just like ABS by a chemical used in the electronic industry as a conformal coating remover. It is called Tetrahydrofuran or THF for short. It is not near as friendly or forgiving as Acetone if you consider Acetone to be any of these. You don't need a special license to buy it from Ebay but I would read the MSDS carefully and think about it firmly before buying it. I bought some but after reading the MSDS I chickened out on using it at home. I gave it to my employer to store in their fire cabinet and dispose of properly.

The part that scared me about it was how it can form explosive peroxides if evaporated.

13 (edited by AZERATE 2015-03-09 03:41:07)

I am not a chemist. But your concept of chemistry, safety, and practical thinking are not as firm than mine.
http://hackaday.com/2013/06/07/smoothin … ted-parts/
After reading the link, read the comments. Chemists chime in.

Tetrahydrofuran has, in studies, been linked to lung cancer, brain cancer, skin cancer, and all the happy go lucky cancers we all enjoy.
Even from a consumer's point of view, a less than comparable vessel of THF costs $20. 600 grit sand paper and a hot water rinsing are far cheaper and safer than boiling a toxic chemical. Whereas certain sates (NH, NY, GA) state there is no link between THF and cancer causing carcinogens, CA (no surprise there), WI, AZ, NM, MA have conducted studies with correlations between cancer and tetrahydrofuran showing a substantial link.

carl_m1968 wrote:

PLA can be dissolved just like ABS

Napalm can dissolve them both. Why not recommend that?
Remember...machines like Makerbot, Solidoodle, Da Vinci, Prusa are not being marketed to manufacturers, but home hobbyists. Please bare this in mind before recommending harsh chemicals. At no point in this forum is acetone described as safe, so don't compare in a pleasant approach. Why not post safety links or studies on worst cases scenarios?

Printit Mason and Printit Horizon printers
Multiple SD2s- Bulldog XL, E3D v5/v6/Lite6, Volcano, Hobb Goblin, Titan, .9 motor, Lawsy carriages, direct Y drive, fishing line...the list goes on
Filawinder and Filastruder #1870.....worth every penny!

AZERATE wrote:

I am not a chemist. But your concept of chemistry, safety, and practical thinking are not as firm than mine.
http://hackaday.com/2013/06/07/smoothin … ted-parts/
After reading the link, read the comments. Chemists chime in.

Tetrahydrofuran has, in studies, been linked to lung cancer, brain cancer, skin cancer, and all the happy go lucky cancers we all enjoy.
Even from a consumer's point of view, a less than comparable vessel of THF costs $20. 600 grit sand paper and a hot water rinsing are far cheaper and safer than boiling a toxic chemical. Whereas certain sates (NH, NY, GA) state there is no link between THF and cancer causing carcinogens, CA (no surprise there), WI, AZ, NM, MA have conducted studies with correlations between cancer and tetrahydrofuran showing a substantial link.

carl_m1968 wrote:

PLA can be dissolved just like ABS

Napalm can dissolve them both. Why not recommend that?
Remember...machines like Makerbot, Solidoodle, Da Vinci, Prusa are not being marketed to manufacturers, but home hobbyists. Please bare this in mind before recommending harsh chemicals. At no point in this forum is acetone described as safe, so don't compare in a pleasant approach. Why not post safety links or studies on worst cases scenarios?

You NEED to read my full post. I did state it was dangerous and that anyone interested should read the data sheet and think carefully about it. I was more worried about it's explosive properties and flash point from my view. If you are using Acetone or any harsh chemical without proper protection from the vapors for your own body then you deserve a Darwin.

I never said either was safe nor do I know where you got that from my post.

HI I have a Pico B3 and per the pico instructions it says to increase the temp to 20-30 degrees above printing temp of material.