1 (edited by jej202 2020-01-13 11:33:48)

Topic: [HOW TO] Da Vinci Mini Heatbed Conversion

Showing how I added a heated build plate to my Da Vinci Mini W for posterity, in case any other poor soul stuck with this printer wants to attempt to try and polish this turd of a machine. I am running the most recent stock firmware, and only made cosmetic details to the mainboard.

This is what the end result looks like:
https://i.imgur.com/TdhmOFa.png

Before someone impulsively goes "ooh, that looks like a fun weekend project", here's why I would advise against doing this:

• Without RAMPS or equivalent, you have to manually turn the heatbed on before printing, and off afterwards

• There's a fair amount of soldering/crimping involved

• Wiring around the mainboard is a pain, it' pretty cramped in there; and it's probably a fire hazard

• I actually like XYZPrint's auto-calibration, but getting the glass clamped without obstructing the z-probe is nearly impossible

• With a 3mm aluminum plate, 3mm peice of glass, and rising/leveling hardware, I'm sure the weight added to the Y carriage is non-trivial

• Buying another cheap printer with a (probably larger) heated is only marginally cheaper

And so in what circumstances is this a good idea?

• You don't want to replace the mainboard; which also means replacing the optical endstops for mechanical ones, as well as all the hotend wiring

• You have a Da Vinci Mini or other version that has no Repetier port)

• You're content with XYZ software (or now Cura support!)

• You're stuck with one of these god-awful machines in stock setup with little recourse

• You're fucking stubborn and determined to get your printer to make decent prints, without realizing the number of steps to make this happen (me)

Parts that I used (excluding wire, crimps, screws, etc):

All the power comes from the new 12V power supply, so the transformer that came with the printer can go in the parts bin.
https://i.imgur.com/rW3Z4tS.png

I wanted to be able to disconnect the power supply, so I butchered a powerpole cable and printed a mount where the power rocker used to be (there's a main switch on the power supply, so I just clipped the rocker terminals and shorted the pins with a bit of wire. The 12V comes in and is spliced to the heat bed controller, 12V layer fan, and the boost converter with appropriately gauged wired. 24V coming out the boost converter is soldered to where the barrel plug (for the old transformer) used to be (I just snipped that as well).
https://i.imgur.com/2Mp2cHK.png

Here's what the back looks like now:
https://i.imgur.com/vaIJ0R1.jpg?1

Everything else is pretty straightforward wiring and mounting the new heatbed. I drilled holes in the stock aluminum plate to function as the Y carriage plate. It's pretty heavy, so I might want to saw off some chunks in the future for the Y motors sake.

Complications I Encountered

You may have noticed that the parts list included extrusions...well moving the bottom of the Y axis up ~20mm, without any ability to tell the printer otherwise (stock firmware), means the whole X assembly crashes into things. So the worst part of this build is definitely having to remove all the hardware to replace the stock Y extrusions for a measly extra 20mm. Note back in the mainboard picture where I had to drill through plastic to get at the retaining screws (I was getting frustrated and didn't want to dismantle the entire Y carriage assembly). Luckily the Z screw is long enough, because I have no idea how to get a longer one.

Another painful realization was that the digital temperature controller expected a 10K NTC thermistor; so the readings with the 100K one soldered to the bed were way off. Luckily I found some tiny, 10K, glass bead thermistors on ebay. The power curve is close enough to what the controller was expecting, so the readings are more than acceptable for a heat bed (within a couple degrees at worst).

Make sure you print a Z-riser first, or you'll have to rig something together with springs like I did.

Also make sure you get the tiny, little thumbscrews for bed leveling. They're a pain to actually use compared to those beefy wheels, but you'll need the clearance on the underside of the carriage.

120V live wires hurt.

Re: [HOW TO] Da Vinci Mini Heatbed Conversion

Flat, shiny, failed print

https://i.imgur.com/4gKNqJ3.jpg?1

Hello

Short question! You installed a 12 Volt PSU? My external PSU is a 24 Volt 2.5A Version!
Is their a diffenrence between US & EU Versions?

Yes, I installed an external 12V PSU because that's what the aluminium heatbed I purchased was expecting. The Mini W runs off 24V, which is why I have DC boost converter installed in the bottom that steps up the 12V to 24V before feeding to the mainboard.

Should be no difference between US and EU version, and your 24V PSU should work find. Just make sure that you buy a heatbed that takes 24V. Else, you will need a stepdown (buck) converter that can handle 10-20 amps when bucking 24V to 12V.

Hello

What kind of Cable (with the nylon cover) have you used for connecting the PSU to the Printer und the Mainboard to the HeatBed?

I think I would take the version of an PSU with 24 Volt and an Step-down Converter to 12 Volt

Gérard

Hello

I decided to make only small changes to the "da Vinci mini". The Cover will be still as they were.

Here a Photoshop Idea how it should be? Any hints? I need a holder for the DROK "200368" which should be glued in the cover and 4 Push-Buttons for the Setting of the Heat-Controller

http://soliforum.com/i/?TdkU6o5.png

7 (edited by jej202 2020-05-21 21:35:42)

GerardDirks wrote:

Hello

What kind of Cable (with the nylon cover) have you used for connecting the PSU to the Printer und the Mainboard to the HeatBed?

I think I would take the version of an PSU with 24 Volt and an Step-down Converter to 12 Volt

Gérard

Because of the high current needed for the heatbed, I used 30A powerpole connectors (amazon.com/Anderson-Powerpole-Disconnec … 01EUD2IJ8/), along with 12 gauge wire. I crimped the powerpole connectors onto wire myself, and then covered it with braided sleeving (amazon.com/gp/product/B071JH14WZ).

Once again, if you're going to step down 24V to 12V for your heatbed, make sure the converter is able to handle the expected amperage. Otherwise, you might have to put out a fire...

8 (edited by jej202 2020-05-21 21:42:29)

GerardDirks wrote:

Hello

I decided to make only small changes to the "da Vinci mini". The Cover will be still as they were.

Here a Photoshop Idea how it should be? Any hints? I need a holder for the DROK "200368" which should be glued in the cover and 4 Push-Buttons for the Setting of the Heat-Controller

This is the same temperature controller that I used, but I was unable to find a suitable housing. I designed a case in Fusion360 that I was able to print and mount to the top extrusion with screws. There are screws holes in the controller, so if there is space in the case, you might be able to get away with just drilling pilot holes in the case itself and mount it that way.

The problem you're going to run into is that the 20A relay and wire terminals on the temperature controller are raised much higher than the LCD screen. You can see in my pictures how I had to design a square hole in my controller housing so it could stick out. Because of this, I don't think you'll be able to have the screen flush with the printer case without the relay sticking out a bit.

Hello

Will the following Step-Down Converter will fit in the Room in the bottom of the printer? YourURL isn't valid anymore, so I have no size?

The Model I want to use is 12V/300W an (65*47*20mm)

http://soliforum.com/i/?o6HUJxa.jpg

10 (edited by GerardDirks 2020-05-23 08:29:26)

Hello Jeff

You have rise the complete PrintBed with at least 19mm (Silicone Bed Risers & New HeatBed).

Which components you place higher in the machine. The Z-Endstop Riser ist place higher(2cm ?!?) and used new Extrusions! What will the maximum tolerance for the Z-Endstop Riser be to identify a higher PrintBed? I want to place it only 2 or 3mm higher. Does the auto-calibration recognized a higher PrintBed and what is the maximum he is able to correct

This question is also the case if you don't want to install an HeatBed an only install a BuildTax Flexplate. This option will also rise the PrintBed with a total of about 1-2mm, will the auto-calibration still works properly. Where is the limit?

Maybe you have testet the auto-calibration unit to sort out the maximum change of hight he will compensate?

Gérard

11 (edited by jej202 2020-05-27 02:23:17)

GerardDirks wrote:

Hello

Will the following Step-Down Converter will fit in the Room in the bottom of the printer? YourURL isn't valid anymore, so I have no size?

The Model I want to use is 12V/300W an (65*47*20mm)

I can't be certain, but it looks extremely similar to the boost converter I bought, so I'm optimistic.

https://amazon.com/Gowoops-10-32V-Conve … 00J1X4XXM/

12 (edited by jej202 2020-05-27 02:28:57)

GerardDirks wrote:

Hello Jeff

You have rise the complete PrintBed with at least 19mm (Silicone Bed Risers & New HeatBed).

Which components you place higher in the machine. The Z-Endstop Riser ist place higher(2cm ?!?) and used new Extrusions! What will the maximum tolerance for the Z-Endstop Riser be to identify a higher PrintBed? I want to place it only 2 or 3mm higher. Does the auto-calibration recognized a higher PrintBed and what is the maximum he is able to correct

This question is also the case if you don't want to install an HeatBed an only install a BuildTax Flexplate. This option will also rise the PrintBed with a total of about 1-2mm, will the auto-calibration still works properly. Where is the limit?

Maybe you have testet the auto-calibration unit to sort out the maximum change of hight he will compensate?

Gérard

Yes, the endstop is around 2cm higher now on my machine. I modeled and printed a small riser that fits under the endstop. I moved the vertical, smooth rails up that distance as well to compensate. Since the Z-leadscrew is fixed in place, and I couldn't find a replacement, I left it as is. The Z screw on the mini is slightly longer than necessary, so this wasn't a problem for me.

I think if you're raising the bed only a few mm, you probably won't need to do any major adjustments. I'm certain that the auto-calibration allows for at least 2mm variation in the bed, maybe even more. If you want to play it safe, you could print out a 2-3mm shim just to raise the Z-endstop. Other than that, I don't expect you would need to make any further alterations.

THX