Re: E3D Volcano slicer settings

mdrVB6 wrote:

guy over on reddit who was printing 0.90 layers at 25 mm/s with the 1.2 nozzle.

That'd be 31.5mm^3/sec, assuming 1.4mm widths. Was he printing the same material as you?

The general limit on a v6 is about 15 mm^3/sec. I get occasionally missed steps when I push towards 20. I think 35-40mm^3/sec would be a good limit for Volcano, since the melt zone is roughly doubled.

mdrVB6 wrote:

Lots of learning for me today!

We're all learning together!

That guy was printing PLA.

http://www.reddit.com/r/3Dprinting/comm … _printing/

I think 35-40mm^3/sec would be a good limit for Volcano, since the melt zone is roughly doubled.

10-4.  I will keep that in mind as I play around with it and see what I can achieve.  Ninjaflex trials are coming up later this week!

SD4 w/ RUMBA, E3D Volcano, all bearings, glass bed

Apples and oranges, PLA probably flows a bit better.

mdrVB6 wrote:

How adventurous are you feeling?  Want to try something some settings that push 60- 80 mm^3/s and see if you can pull it off?

PS: where is your fan on that E3D heatsink?

I realize that I am not near the volume you are pushing.  That was the very first thing I printed just to dial in my infill settings.
You know me I am willing to try anything once wink I have had a very rushed schedule lately and most of my (printer) time has been dedicated to the cyclops.  I just needed one of my printers up and running so I quick tossed the volcano on my #2 printer.  Tomorrow it will spend the day printing to get caught up.
As far as my fan goes???? The bulldogXL's have a fan mounted horizontally under the motor that blows through the mount forward and onto the E3d.  If anyone else is using this setup it is important to remove the E3d fan or run it backwards.  Otherwise the two fans push against each other and stall the moving air.  The result is inadequate cooling and is something Adrian and I tested a little over a year ago.

Printit Industries Model 8.10 fully enclosed CoreXY, Chamber heat
3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL
Thanks to all for your contributions

30 (edited by CFTechno 2015-02-24 12:11:43)

I'm using the volcano with 3mm ABS and can't get it above 25mm/s where as the jhead would do 100-120mm/s . IMHO main issue is that the plastic is not long enough in the hotend to warm up. I set the temp to 270C and the readings with higher speeds will drop to below 250C The problem in the blue vase (your first image) imho is the breaking of the filament due to the speed and the filament being to cold to extrude at that speed.

I use the same speed for infill and perimeters to get a tolerably print and for the top use the 30% speed setting.

1.2mm nozzle, 0.8 & 0.9 layer

CF, you seem to be misunderstanding some fundamentals here. Its not all about feed rate, that's only one part of the equation.

true print speed = feedrate * layer height * layer width

jhead = 100mm/sec * .3mm * .4mm = 12mm^3/sec
volcano = 25mm/sec * 1.2mm * .9mm = 27mm^3/sec

Therefore Volcano is more than twice the speed of your j-head. Not to mention 1.75mm prints faster than 3mm when it comes to Volcano, as confirmed by E3D.

Just to add to this: I have been experimenting with Cura the last couple days.  The gaps in the vase are clearly a slicing issue because slic3r starts/ stops each layer right on the perimeter.  With cura, it actually starts each perimeter about 1 nozzle diameter inside the perimeter, then quickly moves onto the perimeter line.  So instead of having a gap or blob where it starts and stops each perimeter, you have a tiny bead on the inside of the vase.  So I am getting pretty much no gaps using cura and my prints are way better.  I want to do a longer thread on Cura later.

SD4 w/ RUMBA, E3D Volcano, all bearings, glass bed

elmoret wrote:

CF, you seem to be misunderstanding some fundamentals here. Its not all about feed rate, that's only one part of the equation.

true print speed = feedrate * layer height * layer width

jhead = 100mm/sec * .3mm * .4mm = 12mm^3/sec
volcano = 25mm/sec * 1.2mm * .9mm = 27mm^3/sec

Therefore Volcano is more than twice the speed of your j-head. Not to mention 1.75mm prints faster than 3mm when it comes to Volcano, as confirmed by E3D.

You're right, I should have relate it to the volume of plastic. I remember reading somewhere about this calculation but it included the fact that the sides of the layer are round  so more like (_)  Have trouble finding it again.

elmoret wrote:
mdrVB6 wrote:

guy over on reddit who was printing 0.90 layers at 25 mm/s with the 1.2 nozzle.

That'd be 31.5mm^3/sec, assuming 1.4mm widths. Was he printing the same material as you?

The general limit on a v6 is about 15 mm^3/sec. I get occasionally missed steps when I push towards 20. I think 35-40mm^3/sec would be a good limit for Volcano, since the melt zone is roughly doubled.

As a bump, I finally had a chance to get a Volcano set up. With a stock SD3 + Lawsy extruder, best I can do is 85mm/sec, 0.8mm nozzle, 0.5mm layers, MG94 ABS at 250C.

That's 35mm^3/sec, or about 2 grams a minute - not counting acceleration/deceleration phases and travel moves. Actual average is about 1.2g/min, or a 50 gram object in 42 minutes.

This guy is claiming 3.3 g/min:

http://www.reddit.com/r/3Dprinting/comm … d_volcano/

But that's with PLA. Still hard to believe.

any successful .6 mm nozzle settings you all would like to share?

I've been running the .6 almost exclusively since January without issues.
What kind of problems are you facing?

Printit Mason and Printit Horizon printers
Multiple SD2s- Bulldog XL, E3D v5/v6/Lite6, Volcano, Hobb Goblin, Titan, .9 motor, Lawsy carriages, direct Y drive, fishing line...the list goes on
Filawinder and Filastruder #1870.....worth every penny!

looks like I'm extruding entirely too much. Can you please post screen shots of your slicer settings for the .6mm please sir?

AZERATE wrote:

I've been running the .6 almost exclusively since January without issues.
What kind of problems are you facing?

I'm away from my rig currently, but my settings are almost identical to what I posted on this thread. Check for comment #7. My current profiles have been tweaked slightly, so I'll share those once I have time tonight.

Pretty basic question, but have you calibrated your extruder recently? Does your filament diameter setting match the filament you are currently feeding?

Multiple SD2s- Bulldog XL, E3D v5/v6/Lite6, Volcano, Hobb Goblin, Titan, .9 motor, Lawsy carriages, direct Y drive, fishing line...the list goes on

yeah i've done that. I just need to tweak retraction, infill, and the speeds

AZERATE wrote:

I'm away from my rig currently, but my settings are almost identical to what I posted on this thread. Check for comment #7. My current profiles have been tweaked slightly, so I'll share those once I have time tonight.

Pretty basic question, but have you calibrated your extruder recently? Does your filament diameter setting match the filament you are currently feeding?

After reviewing my current settings, I can confirm all I've really adjusted were my retraction settings wink

While experimenting, I found that slowing down your solid infill settings a bit really helps...if this is your case. Is this happening on all layers, or just solids? Also, a pic of what you are experiencing would really help.

Yeah solid infills. I'll post pics in the morning. What's your retraction settings like now?

AZERATE wrote:

After reviewing my current settings, I can confirm all I've really adjusted were my retraction settings wink

While experimenting, I found that slowing down your solid infill settings a bit really helps...if this is your case. Is this happening on all layers, or just solids? Also, a pic of what you are experiencing would really help.

shouldn't under the advanced settings, the width and such change for the .6 mm nozzle?
what about retraction

AZERATE wrote: