1 (edited by shields1.as 2015-02-05 02:45:44)

Topic: Stainless Steel filament

Got my stainless steel and magnetic iron filament today. Results.

Stainless Steel pla printed really well on an e3dv6. A fan is an absolute must. Found the sweet spot at about 230 c and the glass bed at 70 c. I started off trying no fan then half way through the print turn the fan on 100%. The fan being on is crucial with this.It didn't shine up as much as I had hoped yet. But then again I may not have the proper buffing pad for it but I'll enclose a pic.(the nozzle broke the little key chain part off my Marvin in the pic)

The magnetic iron actually printed better at a lower temperature. At 230 it wanted to bubble or ooze terribly bad. I found it to run best all the way down to about 208 C and the bed on 70 c.
The magnetism is great. I can put my magnetic Marvin upside down on any magnet and it will stick. It also shines up some where it has the iron in it.

Overall I liked them both and was pretty pleased after I made some adjustments. It's a little pricey but I think you get what you pay for.

Post's attachments

image.jpg
image.jpg 843.08 kb, 2 downloads since 2015-02-05 

image.jpg 1002.59 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Re: Stainless Steel filament

Very cool thanks for sharing.

Printit Industries Model 8.10 fully enclosed CoreXY, Chamber heat
3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL
Thanks to all for your contributions

I'm still anxiously waiting for my order. Any more showoffs/details?

Printit Mason and Printit Horizon printers
Multiple SD2s- Bulldog XL, E3D v5/v6/Lite6, Volcano, Hobb Goblin, Titan, .9 motor, Lawsy carriages, direct Y drive, fishing line...the list goes on
Filawinder and Filastruder #1870.....worth every penny!

I'll do more on Monday and post it. Note I do have an enclosure and a pyramid lid on my sd3 so that might make my settings a little different than others.

AZERATE wrote:

I'm still anxiously waiting for my order. Any more showoffs/details?

Ohh nifty.

Tammy
Solidoodle 2
E3Dv6 Hotend, MK5 v6 version, Glass Bed, Anti Z backlash slop nut, SureStepr SD8825 1/32 Extruder Driver, makeshift breakaway plexiglass case; . L-Cheapo 3.8 Watt Laser Attachment w/Custom built enclosure
From Buffalo, NY, USA

This is the most brittle filament I've ever heard of. I was hoping to post a review, but I can't get it to print after 5 tries.

Multiple SD2s- Bulldog XL, E3D v5/v6/Lite6, Volcano, Hobb Goblin, Titan, .9 motor, Lawsy carriages, direct Y drive, fishing line...the list goes on

Took me almost a week to do this, but here goes...

Printed at 225c/60c. I had to raise my lid an additional 19mm, now sitting as high as 103mm from the top of my SD2 frame. Since I have a spool mount directly over my extruder where the filament feeds through some PTFE, I found the shorter distance broke at any attemp of feeding the filament. So if you want to try this be sure your filament has a path of least resistance. Seriously...stuffs like a dry twig.
http://i.imgur.com/UIw5yAG.jpg

Some of the uneven gouges were from experimenting with finishing techniques.
1) Gouges were from trying a polishing wheel attachment for my Dremel. It certainly shaved some time off hand sanding, but it grips to corners and curves too well for it to really be used in an accurate application unless you have a very steady hand.
2) 600 grit sandpaper didn't take out nearly as many lines as the Dremel (surprise!), but gave me that metaled look ProtoPasta hyped. The pic doesn't do that part much justice.
If you decide to attempt polishing with a power tool, be sure you use safety glasses . I was quickly reminded that it contained some metal, and eyeballs do not like stuff like that getting in there as I found out.

http://i.imgur.com/wfBWTwl.jpg
Before polishing, I printed the same handle in ABS to compare raw results.
The SS PLA is definitely heavier than the ABS, and feels stronger even at the same layer height, scale, and infill.
Of course, the SS is intended for cosmetics and not for a application that requires solid metal.
It extruded very smooth, but I noticed a tad bit of lifting only on the first 2 layers. All I did was press the end back down and everything turned out as it should.
This is pretty cool stuff, and I will probably buy more.

I really liked how smooth the ss pla printed as well. I'm definitely going to get a roll. Loved it.  The magnetic iron was ok but the SS waz silky smooth

hi guys i have a quick question being that the filament contains SS what is the weight diffrence from a normal print of pla/abs to this. also is it more fragile or less then that of abs or pla ?

As I stated in my results, It feels a tad bit heavier than ABS, but not by very much. PLA is more rigid than ABS, so yes, my tests for SSPLA were more stiff. Would I use SSPLA to print replacement carriages? No. Simply because it is still PLA and sensitive to heat.
Exact weight differences I cannot say since my scale has not worked for some time. As far as strength tests, I do not have access to tools required to accurately record the differences.

ProtoPasta makes their SSPLA with powdered steel. So while it does contain the metal, it is meant for cosmetics more than structural applications. Either way, it is still fun!

Here's my results 20hrs in with rock tumbler. Layer height is important. I use .1mm. I plan to finish this using 2k grit sand paper. http://soliforum.com/i/?Xsg3HWv.jpg